Should Darts be considered a sport?

Started: 9/11/2013 Category: Sports

I honestly do not think it's a sport. They're not in shape, all they do is just throw at a board and their refreshments is alcohol..C'MON!

I would be glad to accept the challenge. Given the brevity of Con's opening statement, I will consider this an acceptance round and keep my statement similarly brief.

I argue that a sport is not defined by those things which Con lists. Rather, a sport is any physical activity requiring skill and engaged in for entertainment.

A sport requires a certain level of discipline. I actually see NO disciplin in the sport whatsoever. I think that it should have the title removed and just be called an "Activity".

There are several definitions of "sport," none that I found requiring an element of physical fitness or discipline.

OED - an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment

MW - a source of diversion : recreation : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in - an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature

As these definitions relate to the game of darts:

• - throwing is an example of physical exertion
  • - hitting a target, such as a board, requires a degree of skill
  • - darts are usually played competitively and, even if not, are played to beat a previous score (self-competition)
  • - darts are almost always engaged in recreationally

It is possible that the concept of "athletic" calls into question whether darts are a sport. (MW and However, both sources' definition of "athletic" lead to the term "athlete" which in both cases references the term "sport," so the pursuit of that facet becomes cyclical. Aside from that, the bulk of the definitions would lead us to conclude that darts are, in fact, a sport.

As for the term "activity" I argue that it is overly broad to be used to class a subset of--for lack of a better term--activities. To wit:

OED - a thing that a person or group does or has done

MW - a pursuit in which a person is active - a specific deed, action, function, or sphere of action

A better case might be made that the term "game" is more appropriate. However, this may prove to be a distinciton without much difference. To wit:

OED - a form of play or sport, esp. a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

MW - a physical or mental competition conducted according to rules with the participants in direct opposition to each other - a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators

Finally, I'd like to point out that many generally recognized sports are engaged in simultaneous to the consumption of alcohol; ultimate frisbee, touch football and beach volleyball being among my favorites.

O____O...ok. you win

I'd like to thank my opponent for being such a good sport and wish him the best of luck in his future debates.
Vote Placed by funwiththoughts 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.