maddietwenty1pilots
Thoguth

Should Debate be taught in schools?

maddietwenty1pilots has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

maddietwenty1pilots

Pro

Debate should be taught in schools. It teaches children to disagree respectfully, and it may raise their GPA!
Thoguth

Con

Debate is too important, and schools too unreliable pedagogues, for us to leave education in the art of rhetoric in the hands of such a not just unreliable, but reliably-disappointing, constantly-failing system as our public schools. Instead, debate, philosophy, the basics of science, research and epistemology, should all be taught in homes, churches, synagogues, mosques, on the street, in the fields, on every Internet terminal, phone and iPad that a young person has access to... debate should be taught everywhere. It's too important not to do so.

Except in schools. Schools are notoriously bad at half-assing everything. They frequently teach in such a very poor way that worse than just failing to learn critical subjects, students often must un-learn a skill and and re-learned differently later in life (not an easy task for or very non-computer-like-brains) to make it to success... and the art of argument is way too important to allow the schools do give a promising young citizen such a setback.
Posted by Thoguth 1 year ago
Thoguth
I personally feel that rhetoric is essential; it should be taught in schools, in homes, on Sesame Street (or the Rhetoric equivalent? Sesame Agora?) in freaking churches, firehouses, police stations and anywhere and everywhere anybody will listen.

But it's hard to find a willing debate participant with my views being so dang popular, so I may take Con on this just to see what I can do with it.
Posted by Jocularly_Solemn 1 year ago
Jocularly_Solemn
So...you are saying that they don't teach you to write debates at school?...And inter-school debate competitions are not held?
Posted by Dujec 1 year ago
Dujec
Critical reasoning and all skills to identify what is true should be a major part of the core curriculum in my view. Too often I was forced to memorize facts out of context that I forgot within the year. Logic/debate should be right up there with math, English and history. I would also add ethics as core coursework.
Posted by EXOPrimal 1 year ago
EXOPrimal
Debate is already offered at my school...