Normerican
ihopetohavefun

Should Deep Web Browsing be Legal in the United States

Started: 1/17/2016 Category: Technology

Normerican

Pro

For those who don't know, the deep web is any internet or page that is not able to be indexed by Google. People can use certain browsers to access these un-indexed pages, which sometimes are criminal related. Like drug deals, ect.

Resolved: Deep Web browsing is illegal in the United States.

I believe that the FBI should legalize this, because it's good for the average person to learn and study.

Rules:

1. Anyone can debate, but I am looking for someone with good knowledge of technology and the deep web. It would be preferred.

2. There's no ELO requirement for voting , but follow standards given by --> https://docs.google.com...

3. Any definitions not defined will be the common place and widely accepted using in coherence with both the resolution and the topic at hand.

4. No forfeiting; if my opponent forfeits a round, they agree to an automatic win by me.
5. First round is acceptance only. Opening statement in round one results in an automatic win by the opposing debater.

6. Terms and definitions must be discussed in the comments before round 3, for any term or definition to be changed. Definitions will be discussed in round 2.

Good Luck.
ihopetohavefun

Con

I am glad for this oppurtuinity I am new to this but i am glad to accept
Normerican

Pro

I would like to take the time to thank my opponent for this debate.

Firstly, deep web browsing is already easy enough to access and get into. However, Deep Web is a place not only for child pornography and miscellaneous, but it also is a place where people can have uncensored anonymous free speech. Is that not what our country is based on? Free speech.

The Deep Web provides a sanction for people to say and voice opinions without worrying of Censorship, it literally follows the exact intention that the original internet intended to do. I not only encourage the U.S.to legalize deep web browsing, I also encourage the people to take the time to browse for themselves. Maybe legalization will accomplish that, give more attention to sickening sites(Though I don't know), and perhaps give more attention to certain issues. Encourage people to learn and research all the crazy things the Deep Web has to offer, as well as to get involved in political issues, without the fear of saying what you want.

Maybe don't legalize the deep web, but make the rest of the internet better. That's my opening statement.
ihopetohavefun

Con

ihopetohavefun forfeited this round.
Normerican

Pro

Normerican forfeited this round.
ihopetohavefun

Con

ihopetohavefun forfeited this round.
Normerican

Pro

Normerican forfeited this round.
ihopetohavefun

Con

ihopetohavefun forfeited this round.
Normerican

Pro

Normerican forfeited this round.
ihopetohavefun

Con

ihopetohavefun forfeited this round.
Posted by diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid 1 year ago
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Sad face.

This could have been a good debate. "illegal" is probably the wrong word. it's not illegal to walk through gang territory in the wrong colors. However, the territory has it's own "laws" outside of the federal government and if you don't know what you're doing, and don't adequately protect yourself, you can step into something really, really bad. Ignorance isn't going to save you.
Posted by MelodyPowers645 1 year ago
MelodyPowers645
The deep web itself should not be illegal; people should have a right to browse websites there. But the problem is what is on the deep web, which is mostly illegal stuff.
Posted by Normerican 1 year ago
Normerican
Take this from someone with experience with the Deep Web. The Deep Web is a great place to learn things and see all the things the internet has to offer. However, I am so sorry your friend had to witness what he did.

From my experience, it appears your friend may have been searching for that stuff. Due to the low reputation of the Deep Web, it comes to no surprise. Most of the time,, you won't find pedophilia or gruesome material unless you search for it.

As for the virus, I suggest your friend just be extra careful not to download anything from the deep web. Perhaps use a different operating system like Tails, it's a great beginner Linux based Operating System for browsing the Deep Web.

Also, if it became legal, it might push more people to do it. And could potentially bring more attention to these gruesome sites.

If your friend didn't search for it, then that's unfortunate, but he can talk to me, I could be of big help.
Posted by MikeTheGOd 1 year ago
MikeTheGOd
In the end this in a way might as well be declared legalized since the government isn't really doing anything about it and anyone can get it. Sure it is sick but it's to big to address.
Posted by MikeTheGOd 1 year ago
MikeTheGOd
Good for the average person to study?

1. It's easy to access anyway illegal or not. My friend was curious and went into the deep web out of curiosity of possible secret government stuff, he saw all kinds of stuff from child porn to a ring where people fight to the death, from real hit men. But also it was easy to get into he's not a big computer guy at all and got in. You don't even need this to be legal to access it. This is kind of like downloading movies that are in theaters or getting some music for free that most can only buy on iTunes. It's not legal but you will not get caught.

Conclusion: This is mostly a place for sick people to learn.

2. This stuff can kill your computer. Click on the wrong stuff and you have a Trojan virus, you have to be careful.

I am interested in watching this debate though.