MisterJoe
Cheng1234

Should Department of Education reduce the requirements of social studies?

MisterJoe

Con

The reason that I am against this idea would be how it will hurt the need to understand our past. To decrease the requirements is a bad choice for our future generations.

As Denise Brown noted, "Studying social studies helps students figure out their role in society as well as their place in history. By studying the past, students learn how institutions, traditions and ideals change as society modernizes. They also learn how cause and effect influence relationships between individuals, groups and nations. As students mature, the study of history gives students the chance to develop their research skills and the ability to think critically."

http://everydaylife.globalpost.com...
Cheng1234

Pro

It is good to reduce the requirements of social studies because the current circumstance had changed for the demand of jobs. It seems that more jobs are more based on math and science now. So social studies is not useful anymore.
MisterJoe

Con

Thank you for taking part in this discussion.

Your argument was based on your own opinion to how you feel about the primary concern on public education. I do believe you are missing my point on my round one statement. I try to bring up a point on the benefits of having social studies; it improves for students to build up their ideals in our civilization. In addition, you assumed that the demand of math and science can somewhat justify the decision that it is more important than social studies. I never compared for social studies to be better than math or science. I only argue for social studies to be as important as language arts, math and science for the general requirement in public education. I am for language arts, social studies, math and science to be equally important.

To decrease the yearly requirement of social studies can harm the values for our future generations.

According to National Curriculum Standards for Social Studies, "Within the school program, social studies provides coordinated, systematic study drawing upon such disciplines as anthropology, archaeology, economics, geography, history, law, philosophy, political science, psychology, religion, and sociology, as well as appropriate content from the humanities, mathematics, and natural sciences. The primary purpose of social studies is to help young people make informed and reasoned decisions for the public good as citizens of a culturally diverse, democratic society in an interdependent world."

That quote can bring some good points that social studies can provide the different type of social sciences. Economics can one of the social sciences that promote the important forms of math. For a person to assume that social studies have no math or science would be quite silly. All of the basically social studies programs can offer many courses for all students to be prepared for the future. To learn from social studies can help them to develop their own thinking skills, which can be a huge benefit to our future generations.

http://www.socialstudies.org...
Cheng1234

Pro

I guess you made a good point.

However, our public schools is in need for change to apply more math and more science.

We need to encourage students, not keep them stuck.
MisterJoe

Con

We should not put more science and math because of the majority approval. If this is your reason, then you are bias to these students who are very interested in language arts and social studies.

My point is more reasonable and will not cause any harm to anyone. I support to keep the current circumstance the way it is.

Please vote no because social studies can become a benefit. By reducing the requirements of social studies, it can be harmful to our future generations. Everyone needs to realize that social studies could help our students to develop values on social matters.
Cheng1234

Pro

I guess you are pro in keeping social studies the way it is.

I am concern for the future.

Math and science are the future for our children.

Vote yes because our current circumstance need to be updated.