valcarcelm
CousinVinny92

Should Drinking age be lowered

valcarcelm

Pro

I believe drinking age should be lowered to 18.

First round acceptance.
CousinVinny92

Con

Come at me bro
valcarcelm

Pro

I feel once you are 18 you are considered an adult. At this age, people start venturing on their own. At 18, you are given the rights as an adult. However, 18 year old are still underage to drink. That doesn't make sense.
Reality: people who are under 21 right now, do drink. If the drinking age is lowered there won't be tendency for people underage to drink.
In other countries, where the drinking age is lower, it is not a big hype to drink for them. There is less abuse of alcohol.
When you are 18, in court, you are tried as an adult. However, if one still does not have complete rights. How can they be tried as adults?
CousinVinny92

Con

My OPP stated, "At 18, you are given the rights as an adult. However, 18 year old are still underage to drink. That doesn't make sense."

Answer: States feel people are still to young to be drinking. Though their are many people of the age of 18 that are mature enough, many are not mature enough to handle alcohol let alone not break other laws. Take a look around your local community, Their are plenty of white kids wishin their black kids and black kids wishing they were white kids, it's all backwards it's identity crisis. I don't blame the government for not allowing kids around the age of 18 not to drink alcohol, half of them do not even have their priorities straight.

My OPP stated, "Reality: people who are under 21 right now, do drink. If the drinking age is lowered there won't be tendency for people underage to drink."

Answer: This statement blows my mind! How can you assume this would solve the problem to underage drinking? You do realize that their are plenty of teens who begin drinking at the age of 15 right?!?! If the age is just to be lowered to 18, how much longer until the 15,16,17 year old people (In America) start debates like you are doing and begin complaining about how they are old enough and should be considered as adults.

My OPP stated, "In other countries, where the drinking age is lower, it is not a big hype to drink for them. There is less abuse of alcohol."

Answer: Yes other countries do have the drinking age lower then that of the United States, but you have not supported any proof showing that the abuse of alcohol is lower. After doing some of my own research I actually found out what you have stated as to be a myth.

http://www.higheredcenter.org...

My OPP stated, "When you are 18, in court, you are tried as an adult. However, if one still does not have complete rights. How can they be tried as adults?"

Answer: You are tried in the full court system rather than in a juvenile court system just because you are 18. The point is that you take full responsibility for your actions rather than the system acknowledging that your immaturity may detract from your personal accountability and external influences may have influenced you, further eliminating your personal responsibility. No one is tried as an adult with out physiological testing anyways. Basically you are old enough to understand right from wrong, and understand what you were doing at the time, and understand the ramifications. Most "people" by 18 can drive, have a part time job, vote, and have the cognitive skills to behave as an adult though you may not have all the legal rights, such as renting a hotel/motel room or renting a car.

Hit me when you coming!
valcarcelm

Pro

valcarcelm forfeited this round.
CousinVinny92

Con

My OPP has chosen to give up this round. Only point I would like to make this round is that by keeping the drinking age where it is, a less amount of teenagers can get ahold of it which is better for them in their development of the brain during adolescents.
valcarcelm

Pro

valcarcelm forfeited this round.
CousinVinny92

Con

My OPP has once again given up another round. I take it she has given up.
valcarcelm

Pro

valcarcelm forfeited this round.
CousinVinny92

Con

Vote CON! Please and thank you
Posted by RacH3ll3 5 years ago
RacH3ll3
"At 18, you are given the rights as an adult"
Not full rights, though. I know in some states you have to be 21 to get a place of your own. I tried staying a hotel and they wouldnt let me because I wasn't 21.
However, I do think something should be changed. You're old enough to work at a strip club when you're 18 but can't drink... doesn't make sense.