Merberry2012
BrigDooglyFresh

Should Drug Testing be Required for Extracurricular Activities at School

BrigDooglyFresh

Merberry2012

Pro

My argument is that many school have to loose of conduct on the subject of drugs. That they ignore the symptoms or that they just don't care resulting in kids that become messed up. Steroids are often misused by athletes to become bigger or stronger. I think this is unacceptable and should be faced head on by requiring drug testing at school for extracurricular activities.
BrigDooglyFresh

Con

Are steroids commonly misused in sports to become bigger, better, and stronger? Yes. But in what sports? My argument is the amount of steroid use is not out of control across the board of all sports. When you think steroid abuse what comes to mind? I would assume the answer of most would be baseball and football. Other viable answers may be hockey and/or fighting. But the amount of sports that are one can participate in school present day is a laundry list. You have got baseball, football, tennis, swimming, wrestling, track and/or field, soccer, cross country, indoor track, volleyball, and the list goes on. I feel that by saying in ALL schools ALL sports should require a drug test is extremely broad and unfair to those that dont use steroids. More so, unfair to those that dont use steroids but maybe marijuana etc. which would throw up a red flag and void them from joining the schools team. Truly, how many KIDS do you think are willing and able to take steroids to play girls/guys tennis, girls/guys volleyball, cross country, indoor track, etc? First of all, statistics show that girls are less likely to take any kind of drugs compared to boys. Males are much more competitive, hence the steroids. Second, not many KIDS are able or willing to take steroids for these types of sports. Not only is it unfair to some and way too broad of a debate, it would also cost a tremendous amount of funding which, in the current state of the economy, would not be easy to receive. Why spend an outrageous amount of funding to get this done when the results would surely turn up more non-steroid-abusing (which still does not put them in the clear if the test shows positive for traces of THC or other drugs) kids than steroid-abusing? Your claim needs to be much more specific in order for it to be fathomable.
Merberry2012

Pro

Well if you are implying on just drug testing the mean that seems wrong and kids will not just go up and say hey I'm taking drugs! We need to make sure kids are not messing themselves up forever. Many people in their 40s are having troubled sight, vision, and hearing by marijuana usage. I do not think this is acceptable AT ALL!
BrigDooglyFresh

Con

Well you really didnt respond to any of what i said. Also, the last statement was a little irrelevant because this isnt a debate about marijuana usage, its a debate on drug testing. But really if you are going to make accusations about the negative long-term effects of marijuana usage, you really need to know your facts. Marijuana truly is used medicinally and it has shown to be extremely helpful. Turning kids away from the track team because they have trace amounts of THC in there system is ridiculous! You live your life, i will live mine. More and more control is being implemented in everyday life, and the fact that anyone wants our school system/government to monitor our usage of recreational substances through the mask of a sport blood testing is out of control. The essence of your last comment was really "Students shouldnt be abusing marijuana, and that needs to be stopped[through the mask of a sport blood testing]" so that makes me assume that you truly are of the idea that we should use the mask of a sport blood testing to monitor what our kids are doing. This really isnt even what this debate is about...
Merberry2012

Pro

One of my parents did marajuanna and now has sight and hearing problems because of it. This is about all drugs and I think if it is about all drugs it is ok to do specific ones. I have done multiple researches on this debate and it is not a blood test so please if you are telling me to get my facts right, you should also look over yours! I also think if these students are representing your school and end up doing any kind of illegal drug, how would that look for your school! Would you like a role model of your children or sister looking up to a football star or ambassador at your school who is doing drugs? I think not!
BrigDooglyFresh

Con

Ok so now this debate has become "Why we should use sport drug testing to look into the lives of children to monitor what they do in their FREE time," I think it is a little silly how you wanted to debate about one thing, and now obviously debating over something entirely different. But if you want to debate over this then thats fine because this is actually more irritating to me then what was initially supposed to be the debate. Give me a scientific (or equivalent study) of the fact that "Marijuana causes sight problems long-term." I did not mean blood test, truly i did not i am just incredibly tired right now! I do have my facts straight. Id like to see the research that you found and compare it to the research that shows of positive results of marijuana usage. Id be willing to bet on the fact that the latter would be significantly higher than the former. Intruding our kids lives like that is utterly disgusting. First of all, if you want to monitor your kids, you go for it, BUT DO IT ON YOUR OWN TIME! Using the school system to look into your kids lives shows a lot about one as a parent. Be a good parent, kids would need to be looking for role models like they do today, if they just had a strong and positive parent figure in their life! If you raise your kids well enough, they wont grow to be drug addicts and things of the sort. Pushing off your responsibility as a parent onto the shoulders of our school system is quite frankly absurd. My role model was Lil' Wayne as a kid, my Dad knew about it and even said "yea he has his heart in the right place." So instead of freaking out and thinking, "O my god my kid looks up to a druggie gangster!" He actually condoned it. Am i a failure druggie today? Absolutely not, i go to a pretty damn good college and am a straight A student.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
Merberry2012BrigDooglyFreshTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both of the sides presented poor arguments, however Con came up with a valid point that not all school children takes drugs for school competition which was not refuted by Pro. The argument went off topic Round 2 on-wards.