Should Elementary schoolers be aloud to have iPhones?

I think that young children should not be aloud to get iPhones. my younger brother got a phone in the beginning of 4th grade. He got an iPhone 5s while I had an iPhone 4. I don't believe that kids should get iPhones til middle school. If your kid does sports get a flip phone or simply an iPod that they can text from. Many of my friends still have flip phones or no phones at all but, a younger sibling has one. I think that kids should not get iPhones til middle school.

I accept this debate and will be taking the position of Pro. As Con never laid out a structure for the debate, I will assume that round 1 is for acceptance and arguments.

Con's opening argument seems to be based on jealousy: "He got an iPhone 5s while I had an iPhone 4." Additionally, Con never specified by whom the children should not be allowed to have iPhones -- their parents, their teachers, everyone, etc. Therefore I see no reason why young children should not be allowed to have iPhones. There is no age restriction on purchasing iPhones, or any phones for that matter. Also, an iPhone is a very useful communication tool with many ways to communicate with others. Most households don't have a landline anymore, and many parents want their children to contact them, for example, when they get home from school.

I now surrender the virtual podium to Con.

Even though many households do not use land lines anymore children in elementary school can have iPods instead of iPhones . Even though there is no age restriction on purchasing iPhones or any phones kids in elementary would do better with an iPod in which they can text just not call. I believe maybe, flip or slide phones would be better because they do not break as easily as iPhones do. Kids may see iPhones as a toy and not treat it properly or with respect. Parents could have a cheaper phone choice as the iPhone 5c is around 149.99 and a simple black berry is more 29.99 a huge difference in price in case of breakage or any damage.
I surrender the virtual podium to Pro.

"Kids may see iPhones as a toy and not treat it properly or with respect." I have two things to say about this. First, there are cases to protect the phone from damage. Second, this comes down to a maturity issue and the parents' decision. If the parents believe that their child can handle the responsibility of owning an iPhone and are willing to pay for their child to have it, then I see no reason why the child shouldn't be allowed to have one.

The majority of Con's argument, with the exception of the statement above, lists alternatives rather than explaining why elementary-aged children should not be allowed to have iPhones. This does not thoroughly fulfill the burden of proof, as Con's resolution was not what children should have instead of iPhones, but why they should not have iPhones. Con also never specified by whom the children should not be allowed to have iPhones, even after I pointed this out.

I thank Con for a good debate, and I thank voters in advance for reading and voting on this debate. Vote Pro!
Posted by PlumberGirl123 2 years ago
No i do not think they should have iphones cuz theres no need for little kids to have fancy items. they could break them or get hacked or a big problem could happen. it'll be giving them too much responsibility and they dont need an iphone. what are they gonna use it for? take goofy pics and play games?! the kid will be too busy using an iphone to go outside and play like normal kids do.
Posted by T_parkour 2 years ago
This debate was fun to participate in. It was very short, but that did not detract from the entertainment I got from it.
Posted by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 2 years ago
I wonder if they are allowed? But certainly they should not be aloud person. ;)
Posted by Cold-Mind 2 years ago
If you meant "allowed" then you should declare by whom.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Tie. S&G - Pro. I immediately noticed a spelling error made by Con in the very first sentence of round 1. Arguments - Pro. Con failed to show why elementary school children should not be *allowed* to have phones. Pro successfully pointed this out throughout the debate. Sources - Tie. Neither utilized sources in this debate.