Lauren.Waggoner
nerdykiller

Should English be the only language spoken in the United States?

nerdykiller

Lauren.Waggoner

Con

English should not be the only language in the United States because the United States will only better themselves by learning additional languages. Multiple other countries learn a variety of languages and by having immigrants speaking other languages only helps many develop additional skills.
nerdykiller

Pro

What is up DDO?
:D
My first debate since I have came back. Since I might be rusty, I apologize in advance.
Well I will begin with the definitions.

My Argument

To start the debate, here is some information about "English".

English-
The many and varied dialects of English is spoken in different parts of the world, including not only American and British English, but such varieties as Indian, Pakistani, Australian, and New Zealand English, as well as the English spoken in various African and Asian countries. In some parts of the world, English is spoken as a natural outgrowth of a colonial period during which certain countries, now independent, were part of the British Empire. In other places, people have been encouraged to learn English because of its widespread use as a language of global communication.
-http://dictionary.reference.com...

The information above will also be used as the definition unless the Con disagrees.

English is already used through out the world as a global communication. There is no use of learning a second or third language when the world is learning english or already speak english.

Rebuttal
"
English should not be the only language in the United States because the United States will only better themselves by learning additional languages."
-There is no reason for us to learn when the world wants to learn english or already speaks english.
Rather than speaking more languages, Americans should stay with one language and spend time to work, relax, study(other subjects than language), and thrive in the world.

I have done my best this round. :D
Good luck to the Con.
Lauren.Waggoner

Con

I am a student learning debate so you cannot be more rusty than me, but thanks.

English is used throughout the world as that was not my argument. There is use of Americans learning additional languages and not being disciplined to only one language. If you travel to locations in the united states and struggle communicating in other languages other than English it is actually a disadvantage to us. Americans will only benefit learning more than English and will still have time to work extra, study and thrive, if anything we as Americans can only thrive more if overall developed and well versed in multiple languages.
nerdykiller

Pro

I went through a surgery on my ankle yesterday (The doctors screwed in screws and metal plating).
Since I am on really strong pain killlers and still feeling pain, I might be scattered brain.

Good job on the clarification.
I really feel light headed.

Rebuttals
"There is use of Americans learning additional languages and not being disciplined to only one language. If you travel to locations in the united states and struggle communicating in other languages other than English it is actually a disadvantage to us."
-If you go anywhere on the world or in United States, there will always be english. You can not have trouble communicating in a country where english is the main language.

"Americans will only benefit learning more than English and will still have time to work extra, study and thrive, if anything we as Americans can only thrive more if overall developed and well versed in multiple languages."
-Rather than trying to learn more languages (when the WORLD is learning or already speaking english), Americans can focus on other matters at hand.

I will extend everything later in the rounds.
I am really light headed, need more pain killers....

Lauren.Waggoner

Con

Lauren.Waggoner forfeited this round.
nerdykiller

Pro

nerdykiller forfeited this round.
Lauren.Waggoner

Con

Lauren.Waggoner forfeited this round.
nerdykiller

Pro

Well :P

Lauren did not rebuttal my points.

What ny argument is...
English is already a world used language, what is the purpose of learning more.
The benefit of learning another language does not go beyond the benefit of spending the time on other issues.
Well um :P
that and everything previously stated.
Lauren.Waggoner

Con

Lauren.Waggoner forfeited this round.
nerdykiller

Pro

http://www.youtube.com...#!
I belive this is game over.
GG
Good luck with voting! :D

Vote Placed by ATHOS 4 years ago
ATHOS
Lauren.WaggonernerdykillerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited...