SnaxAttack
PRO7471

Should Euthanasia be legalized in the U.S?

SnaxAttack

Pro

The first round will be acceptance for this debate. There is no preference on who challenges me, as long as we both have fun debating with each other.

Definitions:
Euthanasia: The painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable and painful disease or in an irreversible coma. The practice is illegal in most countries.

Legalized: Make (something that was previously illegal) permissible by law.

PRO7471

Con

It seems like a good idea, In principle.

Many people slowly die from terminal diseases every day, and for them the suffering is horrible. But legalising Euthanasia is like legalising guns. People may think to legalise guns for self-defence, but in reality people just end up using them to kill each other and commit crimes. If Euthanasia was legal then many people would abuse the system and cast off unwanted relatives who are a burden or want their inheritance.

While we wish people are all kind and nice, we know this is not the case.
SnaxAttack

Pro

Because of the first round only being acceptance, and my opponent accidentally posted a little argument, I will not Rebuttal until the next round. Now to my argument of why Euthanasia should be legalized in the U.S. Euthanasia should be legalized because it is a choice. In this debate, we must consider the word "Self-Responsibility"; which is defined as "The state or fact of being responsible, answerable, or accountable for something within one's power, control, or management". It is no one else's decision to determine whether or not someone makes the decision of assisted suicide; its the individual who has control of his or her own body.

Secondly, I would like to take a certain scenario before posting my next argument. Lets say there was a patient in the hospital, who had a horrible disease, that is yet to find a cure or incurable, and is said to die in a year or so. The patient understands this, and of course is sad; so he or she goes around and tells those close to him or her about the news. The patient does this, successfully, and is now waiting for the events of his death. As time passes on, he or she begins to suffer more; like the idea of being tortured for numerous hours and days. The patient wants to end this suffering, but is not allowed to because of euthanasia being illegal. Why let someone who is known to die in the future suffer, when in reality the doctors and nurses are delaying the inevitable?

To support this claim, stated in a brand of statistics titled "Euthanasia Statistics", it states that 86% of citizens in the United States of America support the idea of euthanasia to end suffering among those in the hospital. Interesting enough, 54% of doctors, nurses, and anyone who has a medical license also support the use of euthanasia; and these are the people who take care of others for a living. Stated under numerous stories of the use in euthanasia, under the website "Euthanasia", there have been many reports of doctors seeing the suffering of their patients, that they knew would not make it, and were restricted in using euthanasia because of being illegal. If the people trying to take care of their own patients are "disturbed" by their suffering, doesn't this prove a point of the patient suffering? Also in another statistic, it stated that 55% of patients die because of suffering and neglected a more "peaceful" death.

Given with these first few arguments, we can see that euthanasia has its benefits towards society. It is a self choice made by the patient, not a murder if the patient requested it. So, my opponent, why shouldn't we legalize euthanasia when it ends suffering among patients within hospitals?

http://dictionary.reference.com...
http://www.statisticbrain.com...
http://www.euthanasia.com...
PRO7471

Con

PRO7471 forfeited this round.
SnaxAttack

Pro

Because of my opponent not posting his argument, I will not bring up any new arguments until he responds. Or I will save it until closing arguments.

I wish the debate to be fair and just!
PRO7471

Con

PRO7471 forfeited this round.
SnaxAttack

Pro

Because of my opponent failing to post his arguments, I will restate my own. Euthanasia should be legalized in order to end ones life, who has been suffering, instead of just letting the "inevitable" come.
PRO7471

Con

PRO7471 forfeited this round.
Posted by finley5 1 year ago
finley5
Yes euthanasia should be legalized. A person should have the right to determine their own fate. Or have written in their living will for someone else to make that decision. A parent should also be able to make that decision for a child. There is a point when someone may feel their quality of life is no longer worth living. Whether that be when they are technically brain dead, or on a ventilator or paralyzed. In recent cases people with terminal illnesses want to be able to decide to die with dignity when they choose rather than suffer for long periods of time. It would be safer to do this under a doctors care with the proper amount of a safe medication so they don't further suffer with administration or fail to accomplish what they desire to do. People feel that it is "playing God" but what if one doesn't believe in God. It seems wrong to make people suffer when there is no hope of recovery.
Posted by SnaxAttack 1 year ago
SnaxAttack
Its alright, you didn't post a long comment or argument
Posted by PRO7471 1 year ago
PRO7471
Sorry just realised you put first round as acceptance, apologies
Posted by SnaxAttack 1 year ago
SnaxAttack
Thank you TGambit!
Posted by TGambit 1 year ago
TGambit
Good luck I'm rooting for you on this one