Should Facebook be taken down?

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Started: 2/27/2015 Category: Technology

Many people use Facebook daily. Facebook can be used to talk with people all over the world. But we only look at the good side. Facebook has caused people to become extremely angry. It has also torn people apart and saddened others. Facebook consumes people and people just cant resist checking it every few minutes. Facebook has even torn apart people who don't use it because one of them uses Facebook and the other doesn't and the first person makes more time for Facebook than the actual person.

Ill accept this debate. In the next round I expect my opponent will bring forth his argument more clearly and explain them in further detail. I will then counter those points and come up with contentions of my own. Good luck to my opponent in this debate.

KoA forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeited the round (shame since they're the one that challenged me)

Facebook takes away your privacy because people always know what your doing. Others forget to take care of themselves because they are too absorbed in Facebook to remeber. there is also security issues because even though Facebook may be secure it can still be hacked into and all your private info be leaked. So in conclusion Facebook is inderectly a dangerous site and shjould be taken down. DO you think it should? The choice is yours. KoA out.

Point 1: "Facebook takes away your privacy because people always know what your doing"

This is an arbitrary point. If you post everything that you're doing- then of course people will know what you're doing! It's cause you're telling everyone! Facebook does not inherently take away privacy. And in addition- you can alter privacy settings to make it so that certain people can't view certain information on your newsfeed. However this point is mainly arbitrary because it can be applied to nearly every social platform. People always know what you're doing on twitter, instagram, facebook, myspace, etc but only if you tell everyone what you're doing. If you misuse facebook in the sense that you reveal personal information to others and then complain that you don't have any privacy because you don't know about the privacy settings- then that is a fault on you rather than on facebook as a whole.

Point 2: there is also security issues because even though Facebook may be secure it can still be hacked into and all your private info be leaked.

What? Nearly everything can be hacked into. As a computer science major- I can assure you that nothing is 100% secure. Companies like sony get hacked into and get personal information leaked out to hackers but that does not mean that you should not use sony products in case that happens again. Government files can be hacked into by experienced hackers. My universities page can be hacked into by hackers. Encryption can only go so far.

Also lets define hacking. Hacking is not setting your password to "password" or your birthday or the name of your cat and then wondering why friends are able to mess around with your account. Hacking is not leaving your account logged in at a public location and then wondering why something is different on your account. Hacking is not logging into a fake facebook and then getting your password stolen. If you do any of the above then you probably shouldn't be using the internet. The internet can be a scary place if you don't know anything about it.

Real hacking is wrong sure but it can apply to virtually any website. You might as well should stop using online banking since that has the possibility of getting hacked into. Or amazon. Or psn. Or xbox live. Or anything.

So why should facebook not be shut down?

1. It helps you to connect with others around the world.

- The main positive concerning facebook allows you to connect with people all around the world. Lets say you have a university friend who goes to study abroad in Italy. You can view their photo albums that they post, observe their status updates, and interact with them through facebook's messaging system. As someone who has a part-time job and pays for their own phone bill- I know how expensive it can be (I can't afford unlimited). Facebook allows you to interact with people without increasing phone bill costs. If anything- facebook helps reduce my phone bill.

And then comes family. Lets say uncle jim is finally getting married. You can get notified of the event through facebook's event system- then automatically state whether you will be going or not. Also, I personally have lots of family in another continent. Facebook allows me to keep updated with their lives.

2. There is nothing intrinsically bad about the service.

-I outlined the main positive of facebook above. So what's the negative? Well OP really didn't provide any negatives. Sure facebook might not be the most secure service in the world- but its more secure than most other services that people regularly use. Just because something has the possibility of getting hacked (real hacking) does not mean that a service is bad. I have nothing else to say in this point since I successfully rebutted the points my opponent made earlier.

I think this ends the debate. I thank my opponent for challenging me and hope that people vote in favor of the person with the more logical arguments. Thanks for reading.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: First Pro forfeited. Next Con made several great arguments and he refuted any and all of Pro's points.