NightSpeaks
Grayparrot

Should Ferrets be Legalized in California?

Grayparrot has forfeited round #2.
Started: 9/19/2017 Category: Places-Travel
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

NightSpeaks

Pro

I own a ferret, so I apologize if I sound a bit biased.

I do live in California, and the only way you can legally own a ferret is by picking one up in another state, like Oregon, Nevada, or Arizona. While this isn't too difficult for die-hard ferret fans, it can quickly become a pain in the tail- especially when you consider that ferrets are already hard to find in other states.

The reason why they were banned were mostly due to trivial complaints (that I argue aren't even true) which I will list below.

1. Ferrets aren't domesticated enough to be considered a pet, and under law they should be called wild animals.
A. No, no, no, and no! While the exact number isn't certain, ferrets have been trained to sniff out prey since *at least* 500 BCE. While that isn't nearly as long as dogs or cats, that's still fairly good.
2. They have rabies.
A. Simple: all pets can get rabies. Ferrets are no different, but they aren't carriers. Please let me know if I got my research mixed up, but last time I checked ferrets have about the same chance of contracting rabies as your average dog.
3. They hurt the livestock if they run away.
A. In theory, if a ferret survived long enough after running away, they could cause some harm to smaller livestock. However, no matter what they tell you, they are very much domestic and die from starvation and predators as easily as a small dog.

---Rules---
1. Support your opinion with fact. Ex. You can't say "Ferrets Suck!" unless you give evidence. If you say "Ferrets suck because I hate them!" then you aren't providing evidence. However, I have no issue with "Ferrets suck because they smell bad and steal your crap!"

2. Please be at least a paragraph long in your explanation. At least 5 lines.
Grayparrot

Con

i accept
since the first round is sparse
i'll wait until round two to make arguments
gl hf
NightSpeaks

Pro

Thanks for joining!

~~~My Claims~~~
A) They have no reason to have a ban on ferrets. All of their reasons are outdated and false.
B) Ferrets, while not being everyone's favorite pet, most definitely has its fans and the ban itself is easy to cheat. So, I ask: why have the ban in the first place?
Posted by What50 2 months ago
What50
Honestly, in general the ferret ban law was made due to the myth's of ferrets. They should just take down the law.