TheHoneyBadger
Deadlykris

Should Freshman be eligible for the Heisman Trophy?

TheHoneyBadger
Started: 1/11/2013 Category: Sports

TheHoneyBadger

Pro

I don't think it matters whether you are a Freshman or a Senior. If you put up the best stats, you should be considered.
Deadlykris

Con

For seniors, it's their last chance to win the trophy. Freshmen will have more chances to win in later years. If anything, it should be restricted to seniors.
TheHoneyBadger

Pro

According to www.heisman.com, "the Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity. Winners epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work." It's right there in the description. The outstanding college football PLAYER, not Senior. I think we tend to imagine that Seniors are just naturally better than Freshman because they have more starting experience. But if you have a Freshman that statistically blows every Senior out of the water, then how can you in good conscience deny that player the award he deserves?
Deadlykris

Con

A freshman that is that outstanding will surely be able to prove himself in subsequent years. A senior who played outstanding, but maybe not quite as good as this freshman, doesn't deserve to lose out on his last chance at the trophy to someone who is new to the college football scene. I find nothing unconscionable about making that freshman wait until he's at least a sophomore before being eligible for that award.
TheHoneyBadger

Pro

What if the Freshman has a career ending injury or for some other reason is unable to compete in later years? You never know what could happen in the future. Besides, that's like saying you should give the MVP award to the NFL player about to retire just because it's his last chance to win an award. If you earn the right to receive an award like the Heisman, then you should be given the award.
Deadlykris

Con

What if a skilled high school senior, who would otherwise be a star college player, has a career ending injury? We can play the what-if game through the end of time. As far as NFL, I seem to recall a certain QB back in the mid-90s who was "about to retire" and then stayed on one more year; at any rate, NFL isn't relevant because there's no set length of time a NFL player can remain in the game; as long as he can perform his role acceptably, there is always a place for him on the team. A NFL career can span decades.
TheHoneyBadger

Pro

My point is, you have to live in the moment. If a player puts up the best stats all year long, then he deserves the Heisman. Simple as that. Don't deny him the award out of sympathy for a graduating player.
Deadlykris

Con

While is good to live in the moment, it's foolhardy to ignore the future. A wise man makes his decisions while taking into account all of the factors, not just the current moment.

Someone has to win the Heisman each year. Is it more fair to award it to someone who has been trying for more than one season and recognize his efforts, or to allow some high-school hotshot to take the prize after his first season in college? The Heisman isn't about the best player but rather the most outstanding player.
Posted by Deadlykris 4 years ago
Deadlykris
I don't really care much either. My dad loves the Crimson Tide so I end up getting caught up in it. This year's Heisman winner is the QB of the only team that beat the Tide.
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
I actually think that i could make a pretty good argument against this resolution. I don't give two sh*ts about college football, but I'd be willing to do a debate on this if either are interested.
Posted by Deadlykris 4 years ago
Deadlykris
Thanks. I'm gonna have to sleep on that last round before I post another argument.
Posted by TheHoneyBadger 4 years ago
TheHoneyBadger
Indeed it is. BTW you aren't doing a half bad job even though you disagree with the position.
Posted by Deadlykris 4 years ago
Deadlykris
I actually agree with you. This is just a way for me to hone my debating skills. It's a lot easier to debate from a position you agree with.

ROLL TIDE!
Vote Placed by DudeWithoutTheE 4 years ago
DudeWithoutTheE
TheHoneyBadgerDeadlykrisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's 'He will earn it in later years' argument gives me insufficient reason to believe this should override basic desert, and is countered well by the 'Career-ending injury' point.
Vote Placed by DoctorDeku 4 years ago
DoctorDeku
TheHoneyBadgerDeadlykrisTied
Reasons for voting decision: I buy pro's argument that awards for achievement ought to go to the one who deserves it most. Con attempted to refute this by claiming that if they earn it their freshman year, they should have no trouble earning it again later on, but pro's argument on career ending injuries seals my vote.
Vote Placed by rross 4 years ago
rross
TheHoneyBadgerDeadlykrisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Freshmen should be eligible! It should go to the most outstanding player! It's not a mercy trophy. It doesn't matter if it's the seniors' last chance or not. Besides, if the seniors aren't better than the freshmen then they don't deserve a trophy.