WhiteWolfBlackMoon
atjacobmajor

Should GMOs be banned? Are they good or bad?

WhiteWolfBlackMoon

Pro

Should GMOs be banned? I think that they should. They cause many enviromental problems and are bad for human health.
atjacobmajor

Con

Hey, I'd like to thank you for creating such an interesting topic :) I want to wish good luck to the best debater.

I'll go ahead and assume the first round is acceptance, and that the burden of proof is on you for the next round. However, before I do that I would like to provide a definition.

GMO: genetically modified organism: an organism or microorganism whose genetic material has been altered by means of genetic engineering. (http://www.dictionary.com...)

Once again, may the best debater win!
WhiteWolfBlackMoon

Pro

Genetically engineered foods have not been shown to be safe to eat and may have unpredictable consequences. When trans-fats were first introduced, corporations battled to get them onto your grocery shelves " and it is only decades later that this once novel food has been proven to be extremely unhealthful. Many scientists are worried that the genetically altered foods, once consumed, may pass on their mutant genes to bacterium in the digestive system.

Food items that contain GMOs are unlabeled in America. Why so sneaky? The European Union has banned GMOs, as have Australia, Japan, the UK and two dozen other countries that recognize that a lack of long term studies and testing may be hiding disastrous health defects. Why are we so dumb? If they have banned it why not us?

Genetically engineered foods have not been proven to be safe, but the few studies conducted don"t look so hot. The organs of rats who ate genetically modified potatoes showed signs of chronic wasting, and female rates fed a diet of herbicide-resistant soybeans gave birth to stunted and sterile pups. What is going to happen to us if we eat it? Will our children have the same effects?

So, pro. what do you have to say to that?
atjacobmajor

Con

1a. "Genetically engineered foods have not been shown to be safe to eat and may have unpredictable consequences" By what sources? I have found no credible sources backing this claim. However, for the opposite side there are literally OVER 1,700 STUDIES proving that GMO's are not harmful. Don't believe me? Check here: (https://geneticliteracyproject.org...)

1b. "When trans-fats were first introduced, corporations battled to get them onto your grocery shelves and it is only decades later that this once novel food has been proven to be extremely unhealthful." This has nothing to do with the GMO's. Just because the chemical compounds put in food is bad doesn't mean the GMO's themselves are bad. Remember, it's the trans-fat that hurts you, not the process of genetically modifying it.

1c. "Many scientists are worried that the genetically altered foods, once consumed, may pass on their mutant genes to bacterium in the digestive system." Once again, by what scientists? And if this were true, how come the genes of already existant food isn't passed on to them? There is nothing different between two plants with the same characteristics, no matter how they got those; by natural evolution or by being genetically modified.

2a. "Food items that contain GMOs are unlabeled in America. Why so sneaky?" Well, because there is simply nothing to hide. Again, the process of genetically modifying organisms has no effect on you. The only thing that matters is what is put in them.

2b. "The European Union has banned GMOs, as have Australia, Japan, the UK and two dozen other countries that recognize that a lack of long term studies and testing may be hiding disastrous health defects. Why are we so dumb? If they have banned it why not us?" Don't be so silly and follow the mob mentality. There has been a huge pushback against GMO's led by fake research, some of the same stuff propelling the anti-vaccine movement. More if it can be accounted by the fact that many cooperation's want to sell you the same product for a higher price. Again, this is the same exact thing as the anti-vaccine movement, only this one is more successful. (https://www.nytimes.com...)

3a. "Genetically engineered foods have not been proven to be safe, but the few studies conducted don"t look so hot." For the third time, where is this research? Where are these few studies? Is 1700+ studies all supporting GMO's simply to be ignored? I'll link it again, if you still don't believe me: (https://geneticliteracyproject.org...)

3b. "The organs of rats who ate genetically modified potatoes showed signs of chronic wasting, and female rates fed a diet of herbicide-resistant soybeans gave birth to stunted and sterile pups. What is going to happen to us if we eat it? Will our children have the same effects?" For the fourth, and hopefully final time, where does this research come from? Where are your sources? On top of that once again, it's what you put in the GMO, not the actual process of genetically modifying.

I am elicited to hear your response, Pro :)
WhiteWolfBlackMoon

Pro

I am sorry and embarrassed to see that I have forgotten to cite my works. How could be so stupid? To be honest I am surprised by how much you researched this. This is my specialty in school. This is hard for me because I am originally on the Pro side of this. I have a assignment about this but have to be a con. This is just practice for the real thing.

Ok so I would like to start off by, once again, mentioning that genetically modified foods are unhealthy.
The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) urges doctors to prescribe non-GMO diets for all patients. They cite animal studies showing organ damage, gastrointestinal and immune system disorders, accelerated aging, and infertility. Human studies show how genetically modified food can leave material behind inside us, possibly causing long-term problems. Genes inserted into genetically modified soy, for example, can transfer into the DNA of bacteria living inside us, and that the toxic insecticide produced by genetically modified corn was found in the blood of pregnant women and their unborn fetuses.
http://responsibletechnology.org...
When I stated that many other counties banned GMOs I want being "silly and following the mob mentally" I have checked out the site that you have cited. All it conforms is that there are countries that have banned them. I have a feeling that you were just citing a site that was on that topic, you know to seem all smart, but I have out smarted you.
I have found research to your (3b).
Research from Canada (the first of its kind) has successfully identified the presence of pesticides -associated with genetically modified foods in maternal, fetal and non-pregnant women"s blood. They also found the presence of Monsanto"s Bt toxin. The study was published in the Journal Reproductive Toxicology in 2011.The study used blood samples from thirty pregnant women and thirty non-pregnant women. The study also pointed out that the fetus is considered to be highly susceptible to the adverse affects of xenobiotics (foreign chemical substance found within an organism that is not naturally produced.) This is why the study emphasizes that knowing more about GMOs is crucial, because environmental agents could disrupt the biological events that are required to ensure normal growth and development..

I cant wait to see what you have to say pro!
atjacobmajor

Con

That's perfectly fine haha we all make mistakes :) Feel free to use my arguments for your paper too ;)

1. Despite it's deceiving name, the AAEM is not a government organisation. In fact it is the opposite of trustable. Many of their members, and even several of their presidents have been accused and charged of poor doctoral practices. (https://www.quackwatch.org...) You also cite the IRT, however you do not cite a specific article, just their homepage, so I have no idea what you tried to use it for. However, I must point out that the site's sole purpose is spreading false information on GMO's, and is extremely biased. Despite that, most of their claims has no research cited...

2. You here have failed to source this citation, and through my findings, have found several that might be what you are talking about. (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com...) This study states that roundup is harmful, and some GMO's promote the use of it by making the plant unaffected by it. This is bad, but has to do with the problems of pesticides, not the process of genetic modification. (http://www.sciencedirect.com...) This one does as well. (https://enveurope.springeropen.com...) This one too...
It seems you do not understand. This is the pesticide's leftover Bt toxins that are harmful, NOT THE PROCESS OF GENETIC MODIFICATION!

3. Might I again re-source the link to the document that has about SEVENTEEN THOUSAND studies supporting my theory. Quack science is a serous problem. I hope that my arguments have convinced you and/or others reading this debate. (https://geneticliteracyproject.org...)

I am extremely disappointed that this debate is coming to an end. :( I wish it could have been longer. If you wish to continue this, please challenge me to another :)
Posted by WhiteWolfBlackMoon 3 months ago
WhiteWolfBlackMoon
Thank you so much atjacobmajor! This was so much fun. I hope we can do more debates!
WhiteWolfBlackMoon
Sorry on my work I said that I was pro origanly I mean I am con. I got it all mixed up.
WhiteWolfBlackMoon
WhiteWolfBlackMoon
Are you going to post?
WhiteWolfBlackMoon
Are you going to post?
WhiteWolfBlackMoon
Are you going to post?