Madhatter_Draws
lannan13

Should Gay Marriage Be Legal in Northern Ireland?

lannan13

Madhatter_Draws

Pro

I live in Northern Ireland which is a place where a lot of politicians are Sectarian, Racist, Sexist and Homophobic. I believe that everyone deserves equal rights, but unfortunately, the politicians and the majority of people who are old enough to vote don't. So if a homosexual couple want to get married, they would have to go to the south of Ireland. However, I think, that if my generation could vote (I'm 13 btw), the majority vote would be for homosexual marriage. Homosexuality exist in over 450+ different species, homophobia exists in one, so which seems unnatural?
lannan13

Con

I accept, you may now begin your argument.
Madhatter_Draws

Pro

Madhatter_Draws forfeited this round.
lannan13

Con

I shall wait for my opponent's opening arguments.
Madhatter_Draws

Pro

Madhatter_Draws forfeited this round.
lannan13

Con

Contention 1: Marriage and the Government

Throughout history there has been a great amount of hatred towards religion based on their association with government. A key example here is France. The French clergy imposed their way of life upon the Frenchmen and did not have to pay taxes. They lived such a lavious lifestyle while many of their church goers were increasingly poor. The anger at the church caused the Revolutionary’s to defame Christianity and they even set up their own Pagen church.Today, with the popular opinion of the public swinging towards tolerance and even Pope Francis permitting this we must get religion out of the government completely. By doing this we must privitize marriage. How do we do that you may ask? It is as simple as from the government recognizing Civil Unions instead of marriage. That way the church may protect marriage and the government does not interfear with it.

What are Civil Unions you may ask? According to Merriam-Webster Dictionary, a Civil Union is a legal relationship between two people of the same sex that gives them some of the same rights and responsibilities that married people have. (
Let me show you it's effectiveness. New Jersey and Vermont both have legalized Civil Unions instead of Gay Marriage and they give you the same exact right as a married couple. Here's who can enter a Civil Union.

The same sex over 18 years old (or meet requirements for an exception)not a party to another civil union, domestic partnership or marriagenot closely related to each other (for example, not an ancestor, descendant, sibling, niece, nephew, aunt or uncle)(
http://www.lambdalegal.org......) Also according to Pew research Center, 57% of Americans approve of Civil Unions (with a 37% oppose) while 53% of Americans oppose Gay Marriage (37% favor).

Here are the support numbers between men and women. Men Civil Unions: 54% for 40% against, women Civil Unions: 60% for 35% oppose, Men Gay Marriage: 34% for 59% oppose, Women Gay Marriage 43% for 48% against. (
http://www.people-press.org......)

Meaning that we have to argue whether or not it should be legal. Not only does this have to deal with the religious aspect, but the social and economic aspects as well, which I have shown in my last round. Since my opponent is from the UK I will use some UK sources and arguments in regards to the subject. In the UK Civil Union rates are rising at a rate of 6% a year. This is already showing that people enjoy this. The more interesting part is that people who are straight are also entering this program. This already shows a decline in interest in marriage in the UK. That’s not just amongst the atheist populace, but those who are religious are doing it as well.The queen of England has also signed off on this in 2010 giving Civil Unions equal rights as those in marriages. We can see that by privatizing marriage, as I brought up last round and was dropped by my opponent. Would solve this issue of a mixture of religion and governmental affairs. The individual churches could deal with the marriages and the government could stay out of it. The main question I have is why would you oppose it if some Christian churches support it?

Madhatter_Draws

Pro

Madhatter_Draws forfeited this round.
lannan13

Con

All points extended.
Madhatter_Draws

Pro

Madhatter_Draws forfeited this round.
lannan13

Con

All points extended.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
Madhatter_Drawslannan13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
Madhatter_Drawslannan13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con.