ConserativeDemocrat
Gdougie

Should Gay Marriage be Banned in America?

Gdougie has forfeited round #3.

ConserativeDemocrat

Con

Resolution: In America, should the recent Supreme Court ruling be reversed and allow same-sex marriage to be banned?

Rules:
1) Follow the sructure
2) No trolling, kritkiks, and so on
3) Forfeiting without warning is a 7 point loss.
4) Cite your sources

Structure:
Round 1: Acceptance and a one sentence argument
Round 2: Arguments only
Round 3: Rebuttals
Round 4: Counter-Arguments
Round 5: Conclusion

One sentence arguement:
I believe that the government has no business telling 2 people whether or not they can marry, as that decision doesn't harm nor effect others
Gdougie

Pro

I accept and agree to debate my opponent over this topic.

One sentence argument:

I believe that the "traditional marriage" between one man and one woman is the backbone of the United States of America, and is what our founding father's intended on preserving (among other things) when our great nation was created.

I would like to thank my opponent for hosting this debate. Thank you.
ConserativeDemocrat

Con

Thank you for accepting!
I will make 3 arguments: A libertarian argument, a liberal argument, and a scientific argument.

First, why should we have any say on whether or not someone can get married? It doesn't affect you, it doesn't effect anyone but the couple, and it doesn't harm anyone, so why should they not allow them to be married? Example: You live in Maine. A couple in Alaska wants to be married, and they are gay. How does that harm you, effect you, or anyone else?

Next, it is simply discriminatory to allow some to marry but not others. The Declaration of Independence clearly says, "Men are created equal." We also have many laws against discrimination. So why should we allow some to marry but not others? I thought we were all equals. Also, as missmedic pointed out, married couples have many privileges over non-married couples. To deny gay couples those benefits is discriminatory. And discrimination is morally and ethically wrong. For example, imagine someone said, "Our country is banning blue-eyed people because of our religion." If you had blue eyes, how would you feel? You having blue eyes isn't hurting anyone, so why can't I live here?

Finally, 2 common misconceptions about being gay and gay marriage is that people choose to be gay and gay parents are worse at raising kids then straight parents. First, being gay isn't a choice. You are born gay. Next, gay couples have been shown to actually be better at raising kids then traditional parents.

Links:
http://www.livescience.com...
https://www.washingtonpost.com...

Good luck!
Gdougie

Pro

This is my argument I intend to support with my proclamations. I will include other debate points in order to keep the debate interesting.

1. MARRIAGE

I have made it clear that I support the traditional marriage between one man and one woman. That is the only traditional marriage, considering the United States Supreme Court, unjustly, ruled in the summer of 2015 that same-sex marriage is considered legal nationwide making there "two" different kinds of marriage - marriage between male and female, and marriage between two of the same sex - there is a difference according to the simple definition of marriage (Merriam-Webster Dictionary). (A)

• : the relationship that exists between a husband and a wife

• : a similar relationship between people of the same sex

Nonetheless, my argument stands that there is only one traditional type of marriage and that is between man and woman.

I want to elaborate more on why I believe traditional marriage is the backbone of the United States. Our founding father's used the Bible to scribe some of our nation's most precious documents.

"...all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." -Declaration of Independence

This may have nothing to do with marriage, but please notice how the "C" is capitalized in "Creator". This distinguishes something very important, and that is our Creator is the Christian God in heaven. Our founding fathers were fearful of the Lord, as good followers of the Bible should be. That is why some of our founding fathers have made comments such as:

"While we are zealously performing the duties of good citizens and soldiers, we certainly ought not to be inattentive to the higher duties of religion. To the distinguished character of Patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian."
-George Washington

""Here is my Creed. I believe in one God, the Creator of the Universe. That He governs it by His Providence. That He ought to be worshipped."
-Benjamin Franklin

There are many more from where those came from (B). The point is, our founding fathers believed that the Bible was the document to govern this nation. These men were followers of Christ, and wanted best for the future of the United States. These are some excerpts from the Bible about marriage and homosexuality all from the new testament.

"But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband." 1 Corinthians 7:2

"Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with menor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God." 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

Once again, I have many more verses to use. Traditional marriage between man and woman creates family, and family is our nations backbone. My opponent might try to sway the voters and say a "gay family" is the same as a "traditional family", but do not let that fool you. They are different. Quality research will show that a child growing up in a same-sex environment is not given the right attention they need as they would from a mother and father. A child needs both a mother and father - hints the traditional marriage and family. (C)

2. HOMOSEXUALITY IS A CHOICE

Homosexuality is a choice, do not let my opponent fool you with their response, it is a CHOICE. I guarantee the voters that my opponent will come back and say that being gay is genetic.
Gender, hair color, eye color, etc., are all determined by genetics and God. A difference though is that these are all genetic, passed down from generation to generation. Here is where it gets interesting to me... If being gay is genetic, how are gay people even on this earth? I ask this because it takes a MAN and WOMAN to make a baby. I can cite a source if needed. So if it takes a MAN and WOMAN (straight parents) to make a baby, where does the gay ancestor carrying the homosexual gene come in? Because the family tree will be made of a MAN and WOMAN all the way to Adam and Eve. Does this mysterious homosexual gene just appear out of nowhere? No. Let's be realistic. Being homosexual is a learned behavior. Here is a study that promotes homosexuality is a choice.

"A new scientific study of 409 pairs of gay brothers could put to rest decades of debate over the existence of the so-called ‘gay gene’.

Research conducted by the NorthShore Research Institute in the US found clear links between male sexual orientation and two specific regions of the human genome, with lead scientist Alan Sanders declaring that the work “erodes the notion that sexual orientation is a choice”.

The study is three times larger than any previously done and highlights two genetic regions that have been tied to male homosexuality in separate research: Xq28, first identified in 1993, and 8q12, spotted in 2005.

However, Sanders does not claim to have identified a single gene which ‘causes’ male homosexuality in humans and stresses that with complex human traits like sexual orientation there are many influencing factors, both genetic and environmental.

For the study Sanders and his team collected blood and saliva from 409 pairs of gay brothers and analysed their genetic code for markers known as single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs).

Although Xq28 and 8q12 were the two regions that were most frequently identified as home to genetic markers common among the 818 gay men, three other SNPs were also highlighted.

Speaking to the New Scientist, neuroscientist Simon LeVay commented: “This study knocks another nail into the coffin of the 'chosen lifestyle' theory of homosexuality.”

"Yes, we have a choice in life, to be ourselves or to conform to someone else's idea of normality, but being straight, bisexual or gay, or none of these, is a central part of who we are, thanks in part to the DNA we were born with,” said LeVay, who previously claimed to have found a region of the brain that was smaller in gay men."(D)

I proclaim that homosexuality is a learned behavior. You are not predetermined to be a racist, a sexist, a homosexual, etc. These are all learned behaviors. I'm not sure about my opponent's brain, but in my brain there is no barrier in what gender I am sexually attracted to. I am not attracted to men, I am not a homosexual, but I do not feel as if my brain is "hard wired" to women. We are given free-will in this world by our Creator, we are given the choice in what gender we are attracted to, it is not predetermined and the experiment above proves that.

3. EQUALITY

Typically, gay marriage is fought for by groups such as the LGBT community because they feel unequal. I would once again like to use the same example I used earlier from the Declaration of Independence.

Now, if the founding fathers were certain that homosexuals needed to be equal don't you think they would have established that same-sex marriage should be legal throughout the United States? Quite possibly they might have thought about it, gay people were around even at the time of Jesus (hints the Bible's teachings).

"...our founding fathers would have been outraged that homosexuals would be out in the open. They knew that such perversion would both undermine and erode the moral foundations of civilization."(E)

The creators of the free world believed this. During their lifetime same-sex relations were a capital offense in Britain. What they did do, however, is leave hard decisions like same-sex marriage to the states.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people." - 10th amendment of the Bill of Rights

Same-sex marriage should remain a state's issue, despite the unlawful ruling by the Supreme Court in 2015. I do not see why the LGBT community felt discriminated against, when there were numerous states that allowed same-sex marriage.

Everyone was equal before the 2015 ruling, and everyone is still equal... Equality is not the question, religious freedom is.

I am running out of characters but I would love to talk about separation of church and state in a future rebuttal.
***************************************************************************************************************
Thank you to my opponent once again, I look forward to their response...

(A)http://www.merriam-webster.com...
(B)http://christianity.about.com...
(C)http://discussingmarriage.org...
(D)http://www.independent.co.uk...
(E)http://freedomoutpost.com...

ConserativeDemocrat

Con

Thanks for responding! I am looking foward to an interesting discussion!

"Nonetheless, my argument stands that there is only one traditional type of marriage and that is between man and woman."I disagree with this assessment. For example, if 2 people have a kid and decide to get married because of that, that hardly is a "Traditional marriage." Plus, is this really a valid point? What this means is, "We married like this for a long time, so we can't break from this type of marriage." This is silly, especially when you apply this line of reasoning to other situations. For example, "Women didn't go to work for a long time, so they shouldn't be able too now." Our ideology has changed, so what we allow should change too.

This may have nothing to do with marriage, but please notice how the "C" is capitalized in "Creator". This distinguishes something very important, and that is our Creator is the Christian God in heaven. Our founding fathers were fearful of the Lord, as good followers of the Bible should be."
- How do you know the founding fathers were explicitly refering to the Christian God? Creator could refer to a deistic God, as many of the founding fathers were deiests, or to parents, whose names ( Mom and Dad), are capitalized.

"While we are zealously performing the duties of good citizens and soldiers, we certainly ought not to be inattentive to the higher duties of religion. To the distinguished character of Patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian." George Washington. "Here is my Creed. I believe in one God, the Creator of the Universe. That He governs it by His Providence. That He ought to be worshipped." Benjamin Franklin"http://addictinginfo.org... Many founding fathers were not devout christians. They strongly believed in religious freedom.

"The point is, our founding fathers believed that the Bible was the document to govern this nation. These men were followers of Christ, and wanted best for the future of the United States. These are some excerpts from the Bible about marriage and homosexuality all from the new testament. But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband."
- Considering that this is the same God who murdered 25,000,000 people, who bans you from eating shellfish, and who allows murderers to go to heaven but sends good atheists to hell, I'll take his laws with a grain of salt.

Plus, why should it matter what some of the religion's of the founding fathers are? Their religion doesn't change what is morally ethically right.

"Traditional marriage between man and woman creates family, and family is our nations backbone. My opponent might try to sway the voters and say a "gay family" is the same as a "traditional family", but do not let that fool you. They are different. Quality research will show that a child growing up in a same-sex environment is not given the right attention they need as they would from a mother and father."
-Research disagrees. http://qz.com...

Homosexuality is a choice, do not let my opponent fool you with their response, it is a CHOICE. I guarantee the voters that my opponent will come back and say that being gay is a choice.
- I will surprise you. I don't believe it is genetic. I believe you are born gay. But it doesn't have to be genetic. Even if you aren't born gay, why would that matter? For example, we choose our religions. That shouldn't be a license to discriminate.
http://www.livescience.com... a choice

I would once again like to use the same example I used earlier from the Declaration of Independence.
"...all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." -Declaration of Independence"
-Exactly. If some get the right to marry, then all get the right to marry.

"Now, if the founding fathers were certain that homosexuals needed to be equal don't you think they would have established that same-sex marriage should be legal throughout the United States? Quite possibly they might have thought about it, gay people were around even at the time of Jesus (hints the Bible's teachings)."
-They did. They gave people equal rights.

"...our founding fathers would have been outraged that homosexuals would be out in the open. They knew that such perversion would both undermine and erode the moral foundations of civilization."
How is being gay immoral? It doesn't harm nor effect others. It is perfectly moral to be gay.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people." - 10th amendment of the Bill of Rights Same-sex marriage should remain a state's issue, despite the unlawful ruling by the Supreme Court in 2015."
-Notice the, "Or to the people bit. Right now, support for gay marriage is at 55%, with only 37% opposing it. http://www.pewforum.org...

"I do not see why the LGBT community felt discriminated against, when there were numerous states that allowed same-sex marriage."
-They could of live in a state that banned it. Before the Surpreme Court ruling, 13 states banned gay marriage.

"Everyone was equal before the 2015 ruling, and everyone is still equal... Equality is not the question, religious freedom is."
-Your religious freedom isn't being violated. You can still practice your religion, and you won't be discriminated against if a gay couple gets married.

Thank you for accepting. Just to remind you, your next argument is rebuttals, so please rebut my round 1 arguments.
Good luck!
Posted by missmedic 10 months ago
missmedic
The question could be "should the rights and freedoms given to all Americans be taken from a select group?"