Normerican
Canuckleball

Should Gay Marriage be Legal?

Normerican

Con

I am not good at doing formal opening statements, so please accept. If you accept you will be explaining why Gay Marriage should be legal. I would prefer that you state your argument as soon as this opening statement is done. I would like my opponent to go first, in other words.

Biblical and secular terms and arguments may be allowed if you refrain from using them too often or have empirical evidence to back these claims up.

What should be discussed:

Economic Advantages/Disadvantages
- The rights of not only Priests, but of the Supreme Court.
- Foreign & statistical evidence based only on foreign examples, specifically.

My opponent will go first.
Canuckleball

Pro

Marriage in a legal context is defined as a union between two adult citizens, granting them special rights and responsibilities, mostly with regards to child-rearing, shared housing, and taxation. There are many different forms of marriage, including same-sex, opposite-sex, arranged, and polygamous. Most Western nations recognize the first two, arranged marriages are still popular in some areas of the world, and polygamy is still practiced in some religions. What are the purposes of marriage? Well, essentially, state recognized marriages provide financial incentives for people to cohabitate and reproduce. Marriage also aims to provide a stable home for raising children, with the reasoning being two parents are usually more capable than one. So, with this in mind, where do the arguments against same-sex marriage from? There is no apparent economic harm in gay people getting married, and the social benefits are easily realized through adoption. Historic prejudice against same sex people still lingers, but the same was true for interracial marriages a few decades ago. By granting heterosexual people rights (marriage) and denying homosexual people those same rights, we are regressed to a world reminiscent of the pre-women's suffrage / Jim Crow laws era. Denying someone of rights is only acceptable when it serves the greater good (ie criminals being in jail). Denying gay people the right to be married does not serve the greater good.

In conclusion; living in a society where certain people have special rights over others is much more problematic than one which recognizes gay marriage (which would happen with or without recognition from the state).
Normerican

Con

Normerican forfeited this round.
Canuckleball

Pro

My argument stands.
Normerican

Con

Normerican forfeited this round.
Canuckleball

Pro

Canuckleball forfeited this round.
Normerican

Con

Normerican forfeited this round.
Canuckleball

Pro

Canuckleball forfeited this round.
Normerican

Con

Normerican forfeited this round.
Canuckleball

Pro

Canuckleball forfeited this round.
Posted by Normerican 1 year ago
Normerican
Due to severe flooding in my area, I will have to cancel this debate.
Posted by Canuckleball 1 year ago
Canuckleball
How does allowing gay people to get married infringe on the rights of Christians to practice their religion? In any way shape or form?
Posted by Normerican 1 year ago
Normerican
I do believe that same-sex couples should be married. Although I don't think that it should be legal at the moment until someone who is not using dirty politics for political gain that in the long run is just to get the LGBT vote, depry Christians of right to practice religion, one of the remaining things that has stood strong in our country throughout the history of the U.S.

When someone who legalizes it with a good plan, with the need to answering to peoples rights, and not for a political strength. Then we should keep it legal.
Posted by Karan_m 1 year ago
Karan_m
I would like to tell the con contender that gays are with such feelings from the birth.So,its not their fault that they have born with such feelings.Now we cannot resist anyone from having their life's decision.Also,if the two of the people agree in that relationship then its OK.You don't have any right to snatch this thing from them.