Suevajawan
MatthewEckel

Should Gay Marriage be legal?

Suevajawan

Pro

Hello; this is my first debate, so if I'm not following the rules or anything like that, just let me know. This is also an ever-popular topic, so it should be okay to get started.

I think that gay marriage should definitely be legal, and to me, it was absurd that it stayed illegal for so long. To start, I think that separating someone by their sexual orientation is completely erroneous. If anything, race is much more of a philisophical border than any other societal difference, and although there has been a continuous debate on race, the colored are largely accepted in society. Because of this, it is extremely odd that gay marriage was not allowed. Similarly, sexual orientation boils down to beliefs, and instinct. If a man is naturally attracted to other men, then the government not only shouldn't, but isn't supposed to patronize a citizen for their beliefs.
Many people think that gay marriage and homosexuality is bad because of the bible. The bible, in short, states that homosexuality isn't natural, isn't right and should not be tolerated in a functioning society. I'm not going to bash on religion too much, but I definitely don't think of the bible as a reliable source, for multiple reasons, none of which I'm willing to get into unless you want to. Sorry for the informality.
If we illegalize gay marriage, we are going against what America stands for, and what it was built upon. The USA came to what it is because people of all different races, cultures and colors congregated here, all becoming one massive cultural jungle where everything is accepted. We have come to accept into our society most of these differences, ergo if we take away homosexuality we are denying this open-minded belief that we were built upon. This shows that gay marriage, even if it isn't "right", should completely be legal.
MatthewEckel

Con

Hello; this is my first debate as well, and I'm looking forward to arguing this with you. I'm not sure of the rules either so lets just jump right in. You said "If anything, race is much more of a philosophical border than any other societal difference." Why? What makes race a "philosophical" border? You don't support this claim with any form of evidence, and you even admit "there has been a continuous debate on race" so why is it so evident we should accept homosexuality if race has been debated for hundreds of years? Apparently In your opinion everyone of 318.86 million people not agreeing with you on a controversial issue is "odd". In fact your opinion is the only evidence you ever present. You go on to say "the government not only shouldn't, but isn't supposed to patronize a citizen for their beliefs" debating aside this statement scares me. Many Americans believe in militant anarchism, Islam, Christianity, extreme forms of capitalism, socialism, and communism, the list goes on. These people believe they should wage violent Jihad, blow up abortion clinics, or just over throw the U.S government. You don't want us to "patronize" (you misuse the word) them? You "definitely don't think of the bible as a reliable source, for multiple reasons." and you are? I'm not arguing for the Bible as a reliable source, but you can't discredit a source, especially such a popular one, with a "because I said so". Remember how I said your comment about not patronizing people do to their beliefs scared me? Well this one scares me more: "all becoming one massive cultural jungle where everything is accepted". Everything is accepted. Things like pedophilia are not accepted in the America I live in. Come to think of it neither is bestiality or rape. I am not comparing homosexuality to pedophilia, bestiality or rape, but it appears you are considering you think literally everything should be accepted. For round two please make a specific argument and be sure to site sources. Again I'm very exited to debate this with you, good luck.
Suevajawan

Pro

Suevajawan forfeited this round.
MatthewEckel

Con

MatthewEckel forfeited this round.
Suevajawan

Pro

Suevajawan forfeited this round.
MatthewEckel

Con

MatthewEckel forfeited this round.
Posted by 9spaceking 10 months ago
9spaceking
indeed, I can already spot the weaknesses in his arguments.
"the government not only shouldn't, but isn't supposed to patronize a citizen for their beliefs."
What does he have to support this?
"I definitely don't think of the bible as a reliable source, for multiple reasons, none of which I'm willing to get into unless you want to"
Seriously? What makes you a credible source? Why shouldn't we trust the bible? COUNTER POINT: the majority of people are christians, so are they unrealiable for believing in the bible?
"The USA came to what it is because people of all different races, cultures and colors congregated here, all becoming one massive cultural jungle where everything is accepted."
He needs to clarify what he means by "Everything". In addition, this only easily supports the counter-point that the legalization of gay marriage would lead to the accepting of everything-- polygamy, bestiality, and perhaps even incest! [The latter two which are objectively immoral and the former one difficult to prove immoral]
Posted by lannan13 10 months ago
lannan13
I can counterplan this so hard.