SumRandumbGi
OskarKarlsson

Should Gay couples get the marital tax break

SumRandumbGi

SumRandumbGi

Con

I do not believe gay couples should get the marital tax break. would anyone care to argue against me on that?
OskarKarlsson

Pro

In modern times, human rights are considered to be a major part of a working society. I believe that the LGBT community, where gay couples are a subgroup, should be given equal rights when compared to the non-LGBT community. So also with marital tax breaks.

Not giving homosexual couples the right to a marital tax break is just another form of discrimination. Looking back at history, we can see that the society has always discriminated homosexuals to some extent. In the Middle Ages, for instance, an openly homosexual could easily be burned on a stake. This, of course, isn't the case in the civilized societies anymore (excluding certain countries where homosexuality is punished by death). This kept going on and on and on. Systematic destruction.

Then came the problems with gay marriage. Of course homosexual people shouldn't be allowed to marry, right? "It's against God's will. It destroys the sanctity of marriage." But is it so, really? In the United States, where most of the population is religiously affiliated, seventeen states allow gay marriage. Seventeen states are not afraid of God's punishment.

And now we are trying to deny homosexual couples the right of a marital tax break.

We have made huge progress. From hosting public executions for homosexuals to allowing them to marry, albeit in only seventeen states. Why is it immoral or wrong to continue the path of equalization? Why is it wrong to accept the homosexual community by giving them the same rights as straight people? Why can't we continue creating a loving and caring community, when our start was so good?
SumRandumbGi

Con

i think i should clear something up before i start my argument. i believe it is okay for gay couples to be together and i have no moral issue but they shouldnt get the martial tax break. they should however, get a tax break for every kid they adopt.

1.The Marital tax break exists to encourage couples to have kids
the marital tax break exists to encourage married, heterosexual couples to have kids. This is because a country needs population growth to grow its economy. its comparabele to an investment where you give money back to the couple and later you get 2 or 3 people entering the economy worth at least $15,000.

2.Giving LGBT couples the marital tax break isnt practical
as i stated earlier the marriage tax break serves to encourage couples to have children but LGBT couples rarely raise children with a percentage of 10-19%[1]. when you approach this situation you need to use a utilitarian mindset when making ther decision of investment. the LGBT community simply does not raise enough kids for it to be practical at this point in time

3.Giving LGBT couples the tax break hurts the economy
a countries debt effects the way its economy grows in the short term [2]. when a country has around 90% GDP the economy plummets with a 1-year growth of -5% and a 5 year growth of just over 1%[2]. the united states currently has a debt of 106% of its own GDP[3] making more spending an option that cannot be undertaken. by spending millions or possibly a couple billion on LGBT marriage tax breaks you would be increasing the defecit and hurting the economy

[1] http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu...
[2] http://www.thefiscaltimes.com...
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org...
OskarKarlsson

Pro

Yes, the marital tax break exists to encourage couples to have kids. I am aware of this, and also of the fact that two people of the same gender are not able to reproduce. So technically your point is valid. However, only around 45 percent of American married couples have children [1]. The majority do not, but still get the tax deduction. How can you explain this?

Paraphrasing you, you are saying that homosexual couple should get a tax break ONLY for every child they adopt. Why not apply a same type of rule for straight couples? For every child they get, they also get a tax break.

What I'm trying to say, in other words, is that the system is unfair and discriminating. Not nearly every married couple have children, so why should they get a tax break, if it, according to you, exists to encourage couples to have kids?

Even though having encouraging having children is one major point in the whole tax deduction idea, married couples do, without any doubt, benefit of it in other ways too. So, why can't we also let homosexual couples enjoy the same benefits?

While as I do agree with your last argument to some extent, I think human rights are more important than the economy. Therefore I still think homosexual couples should get the marital break as a next step towards total equality. Alternatively, a model where the break is ONLY given to couples - gay or not - with children would work.
SumRandumbGi

Con

for this argument I'm going to assume your source is correct and credible even though it just sends you to a search

"only around 45 percent of American married couples have children [1]. The majority do not, but still get the tax deduction. How can you explain this?"

I can find articles that are contradictory to yours like this report that states that 43 percent of Gen-X women and 32 percent of Gen-X men did not have kids[4].by this logic there is a majority and even if it is 45% we cant repeal it and the put it back in place the moment it goes up to 50%. there needs to be slight tolerances on this number but that again, is only if your source is correct

"Paraphrasing you, you are saying that homosexual couple should get a tax break ONLY for every child they adopt. Why not apply a same type of rule for straight couples? For every child they get, they also get a tax break."

they do

"What I'm trying to say, in other words, is that the system is unfair and discriminating. Not nearly every married couple have children, so why should they get a tax break, if it, according to you, exists to encourage couples to have kids?"

the current system does have loopholes and I will admit that but for the most part it accomplishes its task.

"couples do, without any doubt, benefit of it in other ways too. So, why can't we also let homosexual couples enjoy the same benefits?"

this debate is purely about the tax break for marriage. I believe that homosexual couples should get as many benefits as possible but with the marital tax break it is a trade off where the government should get something in return

on your last argument, we are in a critical state where a fragile economy is just recovering and you want to risk dealing another blow? we cannot afford another recession because it could mean a complete economic collapse and send the world economy into chaos.

[4] http://www.dinklife.com...
OskarKarlsson

Pro

OskarKarlsson forfeited this round.
SumRandumbGi

Con

i believe that unless my opponent argues my case this debate is over. it was my first time on this website debating and i made this a little too long. i am prepared to forfeit the rest of the rounds should my opponent do so
OskarKarlsson

Pro

OskarKarlsson forfeited this round.
SumRandumbGi

Con

SumRandumbGi forfeited this round.
OskarKarlsson

Pro

OskarKarlsson forfeited this round.
Posted by Topkek 3 years ago
Topkek
@OskarKarlsson

The source you provided does not back up the statement in your argument. It simply directs us to a search engine for the US Census website. Please be more clear. I have found an article from the very website that contradicts your initial statement, but I'll abstain from posting it until the debate has been finished.
Posted by OskarKarlsson 3 years ago
OskarKarlsson
Forgot to add my source in Round 2.

[1] http://factfinder2.census.gov...
Posted by Jonbonbon 3 years ago
Jonbonbon
I won't say why though so that the debate isn't influenced.
Posted by Jonbonbon 3 years ago
Jonbonbon
I'm actually on the con side of this one.
Posted by vekoma123 3 years ago
vekoma123
As much as I would love to participate, unfortunately I am on a stance where, bottom line, either all married couples get tax breaks, or none of them get tax breaks.
Vote Placed by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
SumRandumbGiOskarKarlssonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited. Points awarded to con.