shootingstarmie
guylaquit

Should Gays Be Given Full and Equal Rights?

shootingstarmie

shootingstarmie

Pro

In this argument, I'll contest that homosexuals deserve complete and full rights to marriage equality simply because all are born equal, and since they are born with their sexuality, they can't be discriminated for it.

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Opening arguments
Round 3: Rebuttal
Round 4: Rebuttal
Round 5: Rebuttals and Conclusions
guylaquit

Con

Interesting topic I look forward to debating this with you!
shootingstarmie

Pro

I have two basic arguments for gay rights: All humans deserve equal rights, and that homosexuality is not a choice, but people are born with it.

Argument 1: Not a choice.

Here I will explain how homosexuality occurs.

A research study done by the NIH found that statistically, the mothers and female relatives on the mother's side of male homosexuals tend to be more fertile than the maternal relatives of heterosexuals. This difference isn't seen in female paternal relatives. Homosexuality more often than not comes from the mothers side of the family (there are more gays there), and gays are usually later in a long line of children, most of whom are older brothers. [1]

What does this mean? Well, as the USCD explains, sexual orientation is correlated with how many older brothers one has. Each older brother increases the odds of homosexuality (in males) by some 33%. This is because of something called H-Y antigens, which produce sex-determined traits. Normally, these are passed from mother to son, however, when the woman has more and more children her immune system produces antibodies against this antigen; the more sons she has the more antibodies are produced. These antibodies may end up in the fetus, immunizing them against the H-Y antigens and lowers their reproductive performance, which at a point will result in homosexuality. [2].

I have hence proved that homosexuality is genetic.

Argument 2: Human Rights

Moving from science to philosophy, we look to the basic moral that all people, regardless of race and gender, are born equal. In the past century we've made numerous moral advances against race and gender discrimination, such that treating someone as a lesser person due to their race/gender is deemed immoral, racism or sexism. By the law of most civilized countries, it is illegal to discriminate based on gender. [3]

So why homosexuals? Many point to the Bible or the Qur'an, citing verses that chastise the act. However, there is a clear separation of church and state (at least in most countries), and religion cannot play a role in how politics are run. Lets look at this another way. When these texts were written, nobody had any idea of what caused it, nobody understood the formation of a child, and scientific understanding was limited. Therefore, should the lack of understanding of largely uneducated people be used to dictate how we see gays, here in the 21st century? I think not.

Not only that, but not all Christians/Muslims take those lines literally. Personal religious beliefs differ by person, and no one can impose their beliefs on anybody else.

Before concluding, I should also mention that animals such as penguins, mallard ducks, fish, and bats have all been shown to have homosexuals. Since these animals are not mentally advanced enough to be morally "polluted" or have "lifestyle choices", there is further proof that homosexuality is perfectly natural.

In conclusion, I have proved that homosexuality is determined before birth, is completely natural, and in the basic ideas of human morality and rights gays do deserve equal treatment as heterosexuals.
guylaquit

Con

guylaquit forfeited this round.
shootingstarmie

Pro

I'll give my opponent another chance to answer, or else I guess that I claim victory...
guylaquit

Con

guylaquit forfeited this round.
shootingstarmie

Pro

Alright, I claim victory then, since my opponent has made no attempt to counter my arguments
guylaquit

Con

guylaquit forfeited this round.
Posted by CommentActor 2 years ago
CommentActor
I will look forward to you debate.
I do however have one request:
PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE OTHER DEBATES ON THIS TOPIC HAVE MADE: DISCUSS MARIAGE EQUALITY, DO NOT FOCUS ON REPRODUCTION AND ITS NATURAL VALIDITY.

As I have commented on a similar debate, homosexual reproduction i obviously unnatural since it is impossible. But marriage is also unnatural. Be careful during the debate not to fall under this trap as it is a void argument. No homosexual couple is asking to naturally give birth to children. And bringing up the "NATURAL ARGUMENT" means questioning single parenthood and traditional adoption.

Please make it a rational and interesting debate, without the above nullity
Posted by DannyCliff 2 years ago
DannyCliff
The Male and Female, are the two required for sexual reproduction. That was how the world was made. So the population can spread.
Posted by ArcTImes 2 years ago
ArcTImes
It happens too much in the animal kingdom to be otherwise.
Posted by Domr 2 years ago
Domr
Exactly, there's only suggestions homosexual traits develop in the womb. Should be an interesting debate.
Posted by mrPrime 2 years ago
mrPrime
While i'll glady agree that discrimination based on orientation is uncalled for, i look forward to seeing you're proof that sexual preference is trait developed from birth.
Vote Placed by SocialistAtheistNutjob 2 years ago
SocialistAtheistNutjob
shootingstarmieguylaquitTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con didn't even attempt an argument
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
shootingstarmieguylaquitTied