ManForGod
michael1010

Should God be taken completely out of school

ManForGod

Con

While a lot of people today want God taken completely out of the picture when it comes to school, there are also those who believe that God needs to be put back into the school. Some schools across America have not aloud students to say, speak or mention religion because some people get upset about it. while other school, such as some public schools have started to offer theology classes for Christianity and many other religions. Now I personally believe that school has been separated from God for to long and that is should be taught in even public schools. (Try to keep round 1 short, state your points and then go into more details as rounds progress)
michael1010

Pro

I accept and look forward to an interesting debate. Public funded schools should not bring religion into them except for certain classes. No student should be forced into religion by teachers or peers.
ManForGod

Con

I wish good luck to my opponent and look forward to the rest of this debate.

While I agree with you that kids in school should not be forced on religion, I believe that the kids that actually care about their religion or those who want to know about religions should have the choices of classes that they want. A lot of kids would jump at the chance to have a class like this, but kids that don't want the type of classes have the choice on weather to take the class or not. people today such as myself are interested in different religions and how each one of them works, and if I were to have a theology class I would have enjoyed it very much. And even though kids today aren't involved in religion like they should be, there's still that group of kids who take there or other people's religions very seriously. Some kids today when they get older, want to have a job in theology or be a cultural religion teacher. So a class in school, even if it is a public school, should be open to the students that want a class of that nature. It would help prepare them for this aspect of life and for those who want a profession in any kind of religion could benefit from this type of class.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to my opponents response.
michael1010

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for the opportunity for this debate and his response.
In response to your opening statement.
While I agree knowledge of any kind should not be denied children that want to learn there are other and superior ways of obtaining theology information then a public school. Most churches and mosque have an open door policy and if additional information is needed most religious leaders will share their knowledge with someone that wants to learn. In addition theology classes are taught in college for those who would like to enter into a religious profession.

The reasons I do not believe theology should be thought in public schools are.
1. Public schools have limited resources and if theology is added it would require resources to be taken away from an already taxed system.
2. I believe high school is to prepare students for college and or real life. While I understand that religion plays an important part in many lives today, this is not a required skill for most professions.
3. If theology was added to school all major religions would have to be taught for it to be considered a class. While this sounds good to the more enlightened of us, imagine a teacher sharing the teachings of Mohamed to a class of American teenagers and what there parents would say.
ManForGod

Con

Thank you for the response and right away I would like to point out your statements, "there are other and superior ways of obtaining theology information..."While yes your right that most churches have an open door policy of letting anyone in to observe and learn about there church and there ways, and anyone would could learn more about the religion directly by going to one of these churches, does not mean that kids in school today will just randomly come upon one of these churches and go in and decide to learn about the religion that the church follows because he/she doesn't necessarily know what that church follows or believes, kids today don't learn about Christianity, Hinduism, etc. because there not taught anything about the different religions. Not by there schools, not by their parents, not by anyone. So they go on everyday not knowing about these different religions that they may or may not agree with and that takes out a big part in someones life, what he/she believes in.

I would also like to touch on one of your points (#1) that schools have limited resources. While yes, they do, they also misuse those resources a lot. My school in particular, has had roof problems for the past 4 years and the repairs have yes to be fixed, while just three months ago the seats in the Gym were replaced even though there wasn't much wrong with the old ones. you see, schools are given so much by the government and most people know that, but the schools will misuse funds on things that don't even need to be touched on, it's like (I don't know where you live exactly) the construction in Ohio, Ohio had gotten a huge salary from the federal government for construction jobs all over the state .................................................Ohio didn't even really need construction jobs because they were already done a few years back!

your next point (#2). I tend to disagree, If you haven't noticed, religion has something to do with everyday life. When people go to elect a president like in the upcoming election, they want to know what they feel about certain things, what they plan to do, and what they believe, Weather people like you or not for what you believe it affects you everyday, If we lived in a world where Muslims were at the top (just using this as an example not an act of slander) and two people worked for a Muslim who was the head of a company. One man is also a Muslim, while the other is a Christian, (not saying this will be the case every time because it depends on the head Muslims character) would it not be more likely that the other Muslim would get a promotion instead of the Christian just because the boss and the worker shared the same religion? now, I'm not saying this is right but sadly it is how the world works today, If your in charge and someone agrees with you, you push them up, but if someone dose not agree with you, they get pushed down and that's not how it should be. Its also like resumes for small and large companies or like the census, they ask you your religion so they can know everything about you.

your last point (#3). This refers back to my first point on how the person them self should decide what he/she believes out of what he/she is taught. I have my beliefs today, but that's because I learned about many different religions and picked the one that made the most sense to me and I still learn today, and everyday I learn new things that make my religion stronger for myself.

Thank you for taking the time to read my response and I look forward to yours.
michael1010

Pro

Thank you for your response and your thoughts.
In your opening you stated kids will not just randomly walk into a church too learn about other religions. If kids or students are not interested in different religions then what would make a student take a class on religions. In addition religions should be taught with someone with faith, if one teacher taught all different beliefs it would detract from the religion themselves.

I would also like to address your objections to my 3 points made in round 2
1. While the management of public funds sometimes may not be perfect, we do have to agree their is limited number of teachers and limited amount of funds and to add another subject would take resources that could be used somewhere else.
2. I live in a world where religion is dying out and people are judged by their actions. In your example of a Muslim being more likely to be promoted if boss was Muslim this is discrimination and should not be tolerated in the work place. With electing the president I am worried more about their political views and hope they do not truly believe in their religious dogmas. So religion as a whole is not something that I see as needed to succeed in society.
3. My main point was that a class on theology would have to cover many religions. I live in a mostly Christian city and if the teachings of Mohammad where taught in our schools the community would be outraged.

Thank you for your time and look forward to your response.
ManForGod

Con

First off there is no reason to be offended about being taught about different religions, I am a Christian and yet when I'm in school and I'm in Biology class learning about evolution, I don't get offended AND IT'S FORCED! so there's no reason to get offended if its being taught, you don't have to take the class, its the individual students choice on weather to take the class or not. Just wanted to point that out and the fact the people are trying to completely take God out of school is wrong. Some schools have been punishing kids for praying before they eat in lunch or even talking about the topic of God. That it abolishing their individual rights, kids have the right to talk about what they want to talk about and they also have the right to choose what they want to learn about, so by God being banned from school is taking away from our rights and just isn't fair on any level. If you don't want to hear about God don't listen to the conversation or don't take the class, Or if you do, listen and join in the conversation and take a class if one is available, which there should be.

Thank you for reading this I look forward to your response.
michael1010

Pro

michael1010 forfeited this round.
ManForGod

Con

While I don't know the reason my opponent forfeiting the previous round, I would like to make one last point and state that Religion is important in the world and it is the foundation of what a person believes and what their morals are, so the way the country is going (away for God) shows that it has been getting worse. when the time was the majority was religious. Look it up for yourselves and you will find that the country did much better when it was God based and not self based. I would like to thank my opponent and I hope that he has one last argument.

Vote Con.
michael1010

Pro

michael1010 forfeited this round.
Posted by ManForGod 4 years ago
ManForGod
Malachi30 i agree with your comment and hope you enjoy my arguments in this debate.
Posted by Malachi30 4 years ago
Malachi30
I find it interesting when our country used the Bible and religion is schools we were ranked #1 in education among the nations and now 60 of or so years of slowly eliminating God where are we ranked???? Look up sources on our ranks before religion was removed and after, it is astounding. What does math have to do with God, reading, science, and so on? Apparently a lot according to statistics. Maybe the One True God who created the mind opens things up in other areas as the word of God says reverence for the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
Posted by ManForGod 4 years ago
ManForGod
and you have solid proof on the big bang being true? please share if you do because I would looooove to hear your solid evidence?
Posted by moel 4 years ago
moel
God should be taken out of school.
Not everyone believes in him.. most of my friends think it's complete bull. 3/25 people in my class believe in a man built the Earth with the evidence as some stories, over scientific evidence about the big bang. Seriously? Why would we believe in it, what evidence is there that a random guy made up the whole thing? As well, you'll mostly find the people who are deadly religious and believe in god are the ones religious from the beginning, so being stuck in a boring lesson learning about different bible stories about how Jesus travelled on a camel to whatever aren't really needed are they. We could just read the bible for ourselves if we really cared.. we don't need someone to read it for us.