DonaldAtLaw
Babeslayer

Should Government and Companies be allowed to spy on YOU through webcams, cameras, etc?

DonaldAtLaw
Started: 5/28/2013 Category: Technology

DonaldAtLaw

Con

The government should not be allowed to spy on consumers through their own personal webcams, cameras, or any other video and or audio streaming devices. We have the 4th amendment in place (which to most Americans should be help above any law since it is the law of the land) which requires a warrant to be issued before any search. I believe that this search also includes violating your privacy. They (Companies and Government) should not be permitted to snoop through your cameras to purposely catch you doing something illegal which could be reported to local authorities.
Babeslayer

Pro

They already do because they're the government and they're EVIL
DonaldAtLaw

Con

They're Evil! So why should we allow this evil to continue. Just because they are government does not mean they have the right to spy on us! That is becoming tyranny! Haven't we seen this type of behavior in Nazi Germany? Does anyone recall Hitlers Secret Police the Schutzstaffel (known as the SS)? They would spy on you to incriminate you and that is wrong!
Babeslayer

Pro

Because they're evil and they can do what they want because nobody can stop them. BECAUSE THEY'RE EVIL.
DonaldAtLaw

Con

Government can be stopped. It is how the United States came to be. We did not like the tyrannical government that the British had. So good can triumph evil which is why congress and the people should come together and make sure that this tyrannical behavior is stopped!
Babeslayer

Pro

On a serious note, I think all countries are in their own way tyrannical. Especially my country, Canada. We banned Count Chocula because it was unhealthy! That describes a dictatorship to me. If the US government wanted to spy on civilians, they'd be able to do it. There would be no real way to stop them.
Posted by Babeslayer 3 years ago
Babeslayer
Okay good I lost. Faith restored.
Posted by Walrus101 3 years ago
Walrus101
I see. I will refrain from voting.
Posted by Babeslayer 3 years ago
Babeslayer
Okay, let me explain why I accepted the debate.

I don't believe the government should be allowed to spy on people, that's invasion of privacy. I'm pretty sure nobody was going to challenge you on this, unless they're an actual member of government. Even then it would be pretty unlikely. So as a comedian, when I say this debate, I decided to just go nuts. And now people took it seriously and are AGREEING with me. Don't do that.
Posted by Babeslayer 3 years ago
Babeslayer
Wait people are voting for me? No, listen to Donald!
Posted by DonaldAtLaw 3 years ago
DonaldAtLaw
He did not even take it seriously, he very well could have argued the need for National Security. His fault for blowing off a debate
Posted by DonaldAtLaw 3 years ago
DonaldAtLaw
Seriously Walrus, you commend him on accepting a challenge which I understand but to purposely throw it away with no argument just yelling "They are evil" I dont understand how anyone in their right mind could vote that he had better conduct, grammar, or an argument. Way to vote fairly and correctly, I hope you don't vote for anything important like government positions. Better yet I hope you do not procreate either.
Posted by Walrus101 3 years ago
Walrus101
I hate when people make a debate about something they are against, so they become con to get an easy win. The real challenge is trying to convince someone that you are supporting something when you are completely against the subject. I commend Babeslayer for accepting the challenge, since a real debater can side with anything. I will accept any debate, regardless of my own position on the subject.
Posted by leojm 3 years ago
leojm
No and yes. I'm a PO so for safety reasons yes, but for reasons that are totally not right I'm against that. It invades persons privacy.
Posted by DonaldAtLaw 3 years ago
DonaldAtLaw
Haha I just want to win a few debates. I like this website.
Posted by Babeslayer 3 years ago
Babeslayer
I know. I agreed to it because I didn't have anything to do but then I realized what I was arguing about.
Vote Placed by Walrus101 3 years ago
Walrus101
DonaldAtLawBabeslayerTied
Reasons for voting decision: This is a stupid debate.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
DonaldAtLawBabeslayerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both sides agreed with the Con position that Government and companies should not be allowed to spy. Pro arguments that governments are evil and that they already spy are irrelevant to the resolution, which concerns whether they *should* be allowed to do so. this was a waste of a potentially good topic; the resolution should have drawn a line between public and private spaces and debated that line.
Vote Placed by TheSaint 3 years ago
TheSaint
DonaldAtLawBabeslayerTied
Reasons for voting decision: The only thing pro really said is that they physically can spy on us. Not whether or not they should be allowed. It's unrelated.
Vote Placed by Anon_Y_Mous 3 years ago
Anon_Y_Mous
DonaldAtLawBabeslayerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro loses conduct for basically throwing away the first few rounds. Arguments are tied because neither person actually argued why government spying was bad, they just said that it happens. Sources go to Con because, as I have learned from the voter below me (tregitsdown), you can just throw source points wherever you want, regardless of actual sources.
Vote Placed by tregitsdown 3 years ago
tregitsdown
DonaldAtLawBabeslayerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro basically just said that they were spying on us, and made no convincing arguments.
Vote Placed by Bullish 3 years ago
Bullish
DonaldAtLawBabeslayerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro pretty much conceded on the issue of "should they".