subdeo
timtex4

Should Guns be Legal to the General Populace?

timtex4 has forfeited round #2.

subdeo

Pro

Hello, Timtex4! I am looking forward to a good debate with you. This is intended to be a fairly short debate. I hold that guns are an important right of the people. First round is acceptance only. Second round is only for arguments, and the last two rounds are for arguments and rebuttals. Good luck, Timtex4!
timtex4

Con

You are wrong firearms are bringing harm to people. And I am going to prove it to you by excepting this debate. Good luck.
subdeo

Pro

Hello! I am looking forward to an enlightening discussion for both of us, and thank you for accepting.

The primary reason I believe Guns should be allowed to be owned by the average citizen is because guns in the hands of citizens help to stop crime. According to The Washington Post, "Many mass shootings happen in supposedly "gun-free" zones (such as schools, universities, bars, or private property posted with a no-guns sign), in which gun carrying isn"t allowed in many states." [1] So, the areas that could be called "laboratories" for life without publicly owned guns actually have many shootings themselves. Obviously, something isn't working. Why? It is because the criminals who break the laws by shooting people will not think twice to break just one more law by bringing a gun in a "gun free zone". If these types of gun control laws are instituted, the only people with guns will be the criminals: a frightening thought.

However, if the people have guns, they can stop shootings and robberies. In some cases, even better that police who are not everywhere at once. According to The Daily Caller, "Gun carrying, private citizens who used firearms to stop criminal attacks saved at least 283 potential victims in a period between July 2014 and July 2015... In September of 2014, an 11-year-old Oklahoma girl awoke around 4 a.m. to find that a man had broken into her home and stabbed her mother. The girl grabbed a handgun and shot the man twice, saving her mother"s life. The mother said she had just taught the daughter how to use the gun for self defense the week before." [2] These kinds of facts cannot be ignored. I look forward to reading your arguments.

[1] https://www.washingtonpost.com......

[2] http://dailycaller.com......
Posted by subdeo 10 months ago
subdeo
I noticed you forfeited, timtex4. Do you want me to send you the debate challenge again?