Should Harambe be a meme?

Intheashwood has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

I hear the name "Harambe" a lot, mainly on YouTube. But is he really that special? I personally don't think so.

1) Burden of Proof is shared. I must show that Harambe isn't worth being a meme. The Contender must show Harambe should be a meme.
2) Just because it is so, that does not make it good. Arguments like that are Appeal to Tradition. Saying Harambe's a meme, so it should be so, is fallicious.
3) Forfeiting counts as an instant loss.
4) No trolling, semantics, kritiks, etc. Doing so is a loss. I can call you out, but it's the voters' decision whether you're trolling or not.

Harambe; "Harambe the Gorilla was a 17-year-old Western lowland silverback gorilla who was shot and killed at the Cincinnati Zoo after a child fell into his enclosure in late May 2016."

More can be viewed here:

Meme; "an idea, belief or belief system, or pattern of behavior that spreads throughout a culture either vertically by cultural inheritance" Definition from Urban Dictionary

Again, I'm taking the Con position for this topic. I don't disrepsect anyone related to the spread of the incident or anyone related to Harambe, but it shouldn't go THAT far.

I have decided to accept the challenge brought by my opponent and would like to thank him for the opportunity.

It has been a topic with a great amount of controversy lately. Many people all over the united states have made the case that Harambe should not be made into a figure for our entertainment. However I choose to attack my opponents thesis based on a very utilitarian philosophy and intend to argue that posting Harambe memes is a morally permissible act based on the "good" consequential value of their worth. These factors can be summarized in just a few points.

1.) The value of entertainment. The entertainment these memes bring no doubt have caused many a great laugh uplifting the spirits of those who post and make them. As I know there is no hard study on the numbers of people distressed by the meme compared to those who view them as entertainment.

2.) they bring awareness to the situation

3.)They bring awareness to reform on zoo policies to be better for the animals

with these three simple points it should be obvious that the benefits greatly outweigh any possible argument from my opponent. After all what is the greatest reason not to? Does it cause harm to him or his self respect? Does gorillas even know what that is? If it causes distress to people how many and what is the scale compared to the benefits? I expect my opponent as the initiator of this debate to post such a source.

I thank my opponent for joining. With that, let's get into the argument.

Point 1; Overusage

There's no point in making jokes about the incident. It's 5 months old now, and could be dropped. Harambe was an ordinary gorilla whom the security staff shot to save a stupid child (since he snuck in the cage). No point in taking the letter D out of the alphabet. Sure, it could help security in the future, but it either happened already, or will be fixed soon, so stop complaining.

Point 2; Innuendos out for Gorilla

The incident isn't the only part of Harambe, it's the line that followed shortly after his death. "D out for Harambe", which is a Title IX sexual assault violation. This was pointed out in an email sent by a student of University of Massachusetts.

"We understand that social media has been popularizing Harambe in some crude ways, which may appear as funny to groups of people. However, these comments are not only derogatory, but also micro-aggressions to some UMass students" The entire email can be viewed here:

Lines like those aren't called for, especially in videos or websites supposed to be family friendly.

Yeah, it brings awareness, but we get the picture. Increase security on humans, lessen the tension on Harambe (not exactly like that, but yeah). No need to tell them multiple times. And it really only counts as a meme if it's meant as a joke, otherwise it's merely news. So how will Pro respond?
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 week ago
"I came, I accepted, I left." - 80% of newcomers.