Should Hate Speech be Illegal?

GenericUser747 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

In this debate I, the Con, will argue that hate speech should not be considered a crime.

Hate Speech : speech that attacks or insults a person or group on the basis of national origin, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability.

Now, I will be specifically addressing hate speech and not hate crime, just so we are clear. Also, the standard definition of hate speech involves threats of violence. I have removed this from the definition we will be using for this debate. The reason being that there are laws in place that make threats illegal, and most people agree that threats based prejudice are wrong. So I find it irrelevant to include hate speech based threats in a debate about what should and shouldn't be illegal.

Round 1 : Acceptance
Round 2 : Opening Arguments
Round 3 : Rebuttals
Round 4 : More Rebuttals
Round 5 : Closing Arguments

I wish my opponent, whoever they may be, the best of luck.

I am pro hate speech, why? If government or anybody says something wrong or does something wrong, should you be living in fear of speaking out?'instead, you should challenge the person and express your opinions! If I swear at you and say bad things about you, will you leave me alone? Probably not. I am expressing my opinion and everybody has an opinion so why not let the world know about it and see if others agree with you?
Posted by TheBenC 1 week ago
Those who trade freedom for safety deserve neither.

You kids today are hilarious. You are trying to trade freedom not just for safety, no that is not it. You want to give up some freedom so that your fefes don't get hurt! LOL This is freaking wonderful. Give up liberty in exchange for not being insulted. That is hilarious.

Only someone who has never been attacked can call words an attack. Let me insult you then punch you in the face. Which is an actual attack?
Posted by FiliusExNihil 2 weeks ago
'Love speech' should be tax write off.
Posted by Iacov 2 weeks ago
Pro you jumped the gun mate.
Posted by xvyz 2 weeks ago
I am down to debate this after I have finished my other debates.
Posted by GenericUser747 2 weeks ago
Hey Urish. I agree with you, but the topic is "should hate speech be illegal". By arguing pro you are arguing that it should be. I'm saying it shouldn't be.