ksugar1
ConservativeLiberal101

Should High School Students have partime jobs?

ksugar1

Pro

I am a high school student. I need a part time job to get extra money to pay for university/college, and other things such as trips, student class fees, and other things that I need. I will also move out when I am older, so this will give me responsibility which will make me more independent,. What do you think??
ConservativeLiberal101

Con

I am sorry, but no, high school students should not have part time jobs for these stated reasons:
1. Stress, stress, stress, and even more stress.
If a student is enrolled in his or her school's honor or AP classes, then by having a part time job, the student will be subject to even more unnecessary stress. Not only does that person have to worry about passing his or her classes but that person also has to worry if he or she will be fired for doing a sloppy job. Not only will that person be taking these high classes, but these students will most likely be enrolled in extra curricular activities like band or chorus activities that need extra time and attention. Learning an instrument or a specific piece is not as simple as saying the alphabet; it requires lots of hard work and effort (it doesn't really matter if you have talent or not because what matters is if you work for it.) Same thing with chorus because you can't learn to sing a song if a million things are running through your mind.
2. Lower Academical Grades
I don't know if you seem to notice much about a high school student who has so many extra curricular and a part time job, but since this person has to put in the late hours (say 7:00 pm to 2:00 am.) this person has very little to no time at all to sleep. One thing that my Spanish teacher taught me is that no matter how hard a person tries, no one regains their lost sleep and it's true. Now it may not heavily affect these people if it happens once every 4 months but if this occurs on a regular basis then no amount of coffee can catch up the kid on his or her sleep. Not only will that person under perform at school but also at his or her job meaning that he or she could get fired and also being failing most of his or her classes at the same time.
3. Right Now you Have to Focus on Your Academics for Your Future
Kids nowadays aren't so hung up on their grades anymore, but they should be. As a result, many kids couldn't care less if they are failing economics because "It's only one class!" This one class makes a big difference in how colleges will review your application. Colleges usually look for the best students for admittance into their institute and if a kid is failing because of a part time job, then that kid has very little chance of getting into the college that person has always dreamed about. The kid may have the money for college but he or she got nowhere to go if their grades are lowered by this. Getting the right type of college education is detrimental in how much money you will earn in the future because even though employment rates are still low, 7 times out of 10 that employers will hire the guy with a college degree.
ksugar1

Pro

ksugar1 forfeited this round.
ConservativeLiberal101

Con

ConservativeLiberal101 forfeited this round.
ksugar1

Pro

ksugar1 forfeited this round.
ConservativeLiberal101

Con

ksugar1

Pro

ksugar1 forfeited this round.
ConservativeLiberal101

Con

ksugar1

Pro

ksugar1 forfeited this round.
ConservativeLiberal101

Con

Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Government will put those jobs out of reach for you if they raise the minimum wage. I know I would never hire a high school student for the same money I can hire someone who has a work history, but is not skilled.