SpentBrass
Greg4586

Should Homework Be Used For Students?

SpentBrass

Con

I would appreciate that my opponent use grammar, logic, and would not use cursing, insults, or biased articles or books (Example, education.com). Please be civil about this.

Please use Round One to introduce yourself and your position. Use Round Two to state your argument, and Round Three+ to reinforce your argument.

I am SpentBrass and I am against homework.
Greg4586

Pro

I accept this debate, goodluck.

I am Greg and I will be arguing that homework is key for students to learn.
SpentBrass

Con

SpentBrass forfeited this round.
Greg4586

Pro

I shall await my opponents return before posting my arguments
SpentBrass

Con

SpentBrass forfeited this round.
Greg4586

Pro

Greg4586 forfeited this round.
SpentBrass

Con

SpentBrass forfeited this round.
Greg4586

Pro

I shall still wait
SpentBrass

Con

SpentBrass forfeited this round.
Greg4586

Pro

Well I suppose I should make an argument.

To a lot of students homework is annoying, tedious, and simply something they don't want to do. However, it's absolutely necessary to do two things. 1. Learn the topics at hand. 2. Prepare students for further education or the workplace.

Let's take math, for example. It's a lot of problem solving and using equations. In class most of what can be done is either practicing or learning new concepts. To try to do both in one class period, and then have students do both outside of class is inefficient. This is true because the students that learn slowly will absolutely not be able to understand new concepts without help from either surrounding students, teachers, or teacher's assistants. Therefore I propose the most efficient and logical method is to have students practice and thus reinforce already learned concepts at home while classtime should be mostly dedicated to learning new concepts.

However if homework is abolished as con implies I argue that learning is incredibly difficult next to impossible. When students don't do homework they don't have the abilities and concepts already learned reinforced. Thus they forget them. When they forget them the teacher will have to postpone teaching new concepts in order to catch up students that have fallen behind.

As a student I have witnessed this firsthand and the classroom falls apart. When this cycle begins it seems to go nowhere and everyday is simply the same thing. Teaching the same concepts over and over while falling further and further behind schedule. Meanwhile the concepts the teacher is required to teach creeps up and eventually, in order to fill those requirments the teacher rushed through them while the students are still behind on the concepts they were supposed to learn months ago. Meanwhile driving the teacher insane. Then the end of the year comes. The teacher's in trouble for half of their class failing, the students didn't learn anything, those who wanted to learn are severely disappointed.