The Instigator
Ryebread2360
Pro (for)
Tied
0 Points
The Contender
bman7720
Con (against)
Tied
0 Points

Should Human Experimentation Be Legal?

Do you like this debate?NoYes+0
Add this debate to Google Add this debate to Delicious Add this debate to FaceBook Add this debate to Digg  
Post Voting Period
The voting period for this debate has ended.
after 0 votes the winner is...
It's a Tie!
Voting Style: Open Point System: 7 Point
Started: 5/6/2015 Category: Science
Updated: 2 years ago Status: Post Voting Period
Viewed: 680 times Debate No: 74862
Debate Rounds (5)
Comments (4)
Votes (0)

 

Ryebread2360

Pro

Personally, I think Human Experimentation should be legalized. It allows for use to test our knowledge of Medial and Scientific achievements and progress, as well as perfect our Sciences in many fields. If people are willing, they should be able to volunteer their body (Alive or Deceased) to benefit scientific research. Many people disagree with the practice due to fears of Humans "playing God" We could study Vaccines, Diseses, Robotics, and many more branches of Science by testing them out on human test subjects. It may be inhuman at times, but progress comes at a cost.
bman7720

Con

I will argue that human experimentation should remain illegal.

My first argument is that the process is unnecessary. The common practice of testing chemicals is conducted on mice. This is chosen due to the roughly 80% similarity of genetic expression in the immune system. [1]. In order to translate from mice to humans, a chart is used to estimate possible variables with the remaining 20%. Chimpanzees share 98% genetic similarity to humans in overall DNA, and mice share 98% [2]. Not to mention that all mammals share a common ancestor. Appearing in the Triassic Period, around the same time as dinosaurs appeared. Placental mammals appeared in the Cretaceous Period [3]. Due to this common ancestry, many mammals share the same organ systems that are required for homeostasis. Due to this similarity, we can effectively test on animals without endangering our own population [2].

Secondly, human testing is infinitely more limited than animal testing. Human testing in both biomedical and psychological testing will always be limited by human rights. A confirmed government experiment hoping to achieve the process of brainwashing, known as M.K. Ultra, consisted of injecting not only suspecting victims, but also unsuspecting victims with various substances such as heroin, LSD, and mescaline [4] [5] [6]. This included such cases such as Operation Midnight Climax, in which the use of prostitutes would dose unaware customers with LSD [7]. The head of this research, Doctor Sidney Gottlieb, would often put his subjects under torturous conditions. Including instances of locking them in sensory-depriving rooms, replaying the most self-degrading tapes of therapeutic sessions through headphones while the subject was in a straight jacket.

Human testing is limited by morality and ethical opinions of society. Animals, on the other hand, are more ethical and human than pushing this stress onto members of the population.

Works Cited
[1]: http://hms.harvard.edu...
[2]: http://animal-testing.procon.org...
[3]: http://www.enchantedlearning.com...
[4]: http://rationalwiki.org...
[5]: http://history.howstuffworks.com...
[6]: http://www.collective-evolution.com...
[7]: http://www.damninteresting.com...
Debate Round No. 1
Ryebread2360

Pro

Ryebread2360 forfeited this round.
bman7720

Con

bman7720 forfeited this round.
Debate Round No. 2
Ryebread2360

Pro

Ryebread2360 forfeited this round.
bman7720

Con

bman7720 forfeited this round.
Debate Round No. 3
Ryebread2360

Pro

Ryebread2360 forfeited this round.
bman7720

Con

bman7720 forfeited this round.
Debate Round No. 4
Ryebread2360

Pro

Ryebread2360 forfeited this round.
bman7720

Con

bman7720 forfeited this round.
Debate Round No. 5
4 comments have been posted on this debate. Showing 1 through 4 records.
Posted by bman7720 2 years ago
bman7720
My argument should be posted by tomorrow night by the latest, I look forward to a great debate.
Posted by Ryebread2360 2 years ago
Ryebread2360
Im talking about when it's completely legal. You don't have to test on animals first.
Posted by MarsUltor 2 years ago
MarsUltor
It already is legal you first have to show it is safe on rats then monkeys than you can be okay-ed for humans as long as they have all the info and agree to the testing.
Posted by BootsWithDefer 2 years ago
BootsWithDefer
Bro, animal testing...dont need humans
No votes have been placed for this debate.