ItsTheBaconDoge
MilesEdgeworth10

Should Humans Go Vegan/Vegetarian?

ItsTheBaconDoge

Pro

72 Hours per argument
10,000 Character max
2 Week voting period

Round 1 (Pro): Rules and claim
Round 1 (Con): Claim and any Clarification

Round 2 (Pro): Reason, Evidence, Elaboration #1
Round 2 (Con): Optional Rebuttal, Reason, Evidence, Elaboration #1

Round 3 (Pro): Rebuttal, Reason, Evidence, Elaboration #2
Round 3 (Con): Rebuttal, Reason, Evidence, Elaboration #2

Round 4 (Pro): Rebuttal
Round 4 (Con): Rebuttal

Round 5 (Pro): Closing Statements
Round 5 (Con): Closing Statements

Claim: I think that the human race should go vegan/vegetarian, because it is pro-environmental, pro-health, and pro-economical.
MilesEdgeworth10

Con

Glad to take up your challenge! May the best man win.
Claim: Humans shouldn't go vegan/vegetarian because we should be able to choose our own lifestyles, becoming a vegan/vegetarian can have some bad side effects and that there is no definitive proof that a vegan/vegetarian diet is better than a non vegan/vegetarian one.
ItsTheBaconDoge

Pro

(Hello Edgeworth, my old friend...)
Before I begin, I would like to point out that I'm not forcing anybody to go vegan, I am just claiming that it is better if we did. And yes, there is definitive proof that separates a vegan/vegetarian diet from a non-vegan/vegetarian diet.

The Diet Idea:
It has been scientifically proven that eating red meats such as ones that come from cows and other animals can almost quadruple a woman's risk of having breast cancer, because the meat is specially treated, which causes the proteins in the meat to become malformed, and increase your risk of certain cancers. In addition to this, the high density of fat and other animal products/biproducts that can lead to hormonal cancers like prostate and breast cancer.
(Source: http://www.pcrm.org...)
In addition to cancer, the heart is affected drastically as well. Because of all of the saturated fats and added chemicals to most meats, it causes higher cholesterol levels, which causes heart disease, and causes many other negative side-effects. If this is happening to our society, we should definitely be pro-vegan. And considering the fact that the leading cause of death in America today is because of heart attacks, this is a problem that should be solved with a simple change of diet, but with all of this advertisement, there's a steep hill, but we can climb it.
(Source: http://www.health.com...)

The Economical/Agricultural Idea:
A vegan/vegetarian diet will have such a positive impact on our economy. Without having to take care of massive quantities of livestock, we can save more food for ourselves, without having to distribute it to the mass of livestock needed. If we are able to have the livestock roam free, we would be allowing a better balance of nature; since cows tend to graze often, they will clear out areas evenly without having to stay in a single concentrated area. As we know with deforestation, if the trees don't grow back, it can have devastating effects on the wildlife living there. The same applies to grazing, but rather on a more microscopic level. And the cow's fecal matter that it leaves behind would act as a fertilizer. Again, helpful to the agriculture because of the even fertilization.

The Ethical Idea:
Most of these animals are killed for their meat, which is a cruel, since it violates the animals rights. If I were to do an experiment, I would have to give the animal a proper diet and living conditions. A percentage of farmers don't practice such things, so it violates the animals' ethical rights. From this video called "Glass Walls", they explain exactly how poor the conditions are for these animals, so this is morally unjust. Pigs being hung, hit, stabbed. Cows being crushed, slaughtered, even just poisoned. This is an extremely unjust movement on the agriculturalists who partake in this movement. Watch the video. It is worth a million words.
(Source: https://www.youtube.com... (WARNING: Content on this might not be suitable for all ages))

In this, I have discussed how meat is impacting us in a negative way, how it is against ethical rights of animals to eat meats, and how vegan/vegetarian diets are better for the economy and agricultural society. I'm quite interested to see how you respond. I hope you do well.
MilesEdgeworth10

Con

MilesEdgeworth10 forfeited this round.
ItsTheBaconDoge

Pro

No rebuttal was provided for the reason of the Con failing to respond to my first argument.

The Environmental Idea:
The average meat yield from a cow is roughly 700 pounds, but is only trimmed down to roughly 3-8% of that for about 12-13 inches of steak. This cow takes up an average of 441 gallons, which is about 8 gallons of water per pound of beef, while alternatively, a pound of potatoes only takes 2 gallons to grow. That is about four times more water-efficient for us to grow potatoes over meats. This is extremely important, especially with certain water supplies being contaminated or dwindling. Over half of our water usage goes to giving water to cows. We could cut that to a smaller percentage and save up more resources for us to thrive without extraneous foods. Being able to support ourselves with plenty is better than living luxuriously with little resource to use, especially with climate change becoming a large problem in society today. My next point I want to bring into view is that cows are a huge contributor to global warming. I would like to bring this up because of global warming being a huge issue everywhere on earth. A cow produces 70 kg to 120 kg of methane gas each year, methane is 23 times as deadly as carbon monoxide. A car produces roughly 1500 kg-3000 kg of carbon dioxide, but this seems rather small when you compare it to the tons of cows that are producing gas 23 times as strong. A single cow can produce roughly the same amount of greenhouse gases 1 or 2 cars do. All of the cows in America (About 98.4 million) are producing about 11,808,000,000 kilograms of methane each year, which is equivalent to 5904000 cars producing carbon dioxide. These cows are producing well over 271,584,000,000 kg of the equivalent carbon dioxide each year. This is certainly a message telling people that we are hurting ourselves by eating a hamburger. I would also like to compare the vegan diet on this situation. Over 3 times as many fossil fuels are used in a meat centered diet over a vegan diet. This is also good for us because it is conserving fossil fuels for us to use on electricity and other requirements. This is relevant because of how much global warming is affecting our world that we want to live in.
(Sources: http://www.oda.state.ok.us...
http://www.vegsource.com...
http://timeforchange.org...
https://www.quora.com...
http://www.cartalk.com... )

The Pesticide Idea:
People commonly believe that the US Department of Agriculture checks the meat for any possible toxins that could be in it, but the harsh reality is that only 1 in every 250,000 animals are checked for toxins, so we have no idea what is in the meat. Most fruits and vegetables, however, show physical signs of wearing and un-ripe spots, and are harder to have possible toxins in them. There is also the breastfeeding argument that proposes that 99% of women in the USA have significant levels of DDT (a type of insecticide) in their breast milk, while only 8% of vegan women have significant levels of DDT in their breast milk. If we have DDT in our breast milk, this will have a serious effect on the latter generations, ruining our health quality. Again, we our only hurting ourselves as we do this. This means that a vegan diet is better because of the insecticides that aren't lingering in it.
(Source: http://ije.oxfordjournals.org...)

In this section of the argument, I have went over the facts that tell us that cows contribute to most of global warming and water loss. This is a serious call to action to most of us. I also went over how pesticides in the meat are harshly affecting our health. If we won't stop this now, we will face the consequences in latter years.
MilesEdgeworth10

Con

MilesEdgeworth10 forfeited this round.
ItsTheBaconDoge

Pro

Again, the con has failed to produce a defense for his claim.
This round has to be a technical forfeit on my side, but I will allow the con to have additional rebuttal rounds in this round and the latter round if necessary.
MilesEdgeworth10

Con

MilesEdgeworth10 forfeited this round.
ItsTheBaconDoge

Pro

It seems that the con has failed to produce any evidence for his argument, or even provide an argument. It is pretty clear though that humans should go Vegan/Vegetarian because of how it is affecting our personal health and the earth's health, as well as the animal's health.

May the better man win.
MilesEdgeworth10

Con

MilesEdgeworth10 forfeited this round.
Posted by MilesEdgeworth10 9 months ago
MilesEdgeworth10
sorry everyone i was on vacation for a few days i forgot to post
ill double up my arguments next round terribly sorry
Posted by Vict0rian 10 months ago
Vict0rian
For the most part I think it would be a good thing but I dont think forcing people to do so is the answer.
Posted by PepePopo2012 10 months ago
PepePopo2012
The best way to feed our ever growing population would be "farm insects", you should rise and eat insects. It is pretty healthy and really cheap (and we also don't destroy up the environment ).