Nidhogg28
Fykwa

Should Humans Leave Earth?

Nidhogg28

Pro

Due to limited resources on Earth we must leave at some point. Compared to our current resources space has much more energy, metals, and gases than Earth. Isn't this common sense? I believe asteroids are our best option. There is no gravity or atmosphere to impede ships leaving them, and larger ones can even support communities.
Fykwa

Con

The problem with asteroids is that their path is unpredictable and there is always the possibility that it will collide with another asteroid or a planet.
Nidhogg28

Pro

The point of this debate was for my opponent to explain why humans shouldn't leave Earth. Not to explain why asteroids are bad. Not all asteroids are erratic and they are small enough that their course can be adjusted to fit the colony's needs. Asteroids can contain vital resources, the three main ones being iron, carbon, and water. Iron and carbon are used for used for the manufacturing of steel, that can be used for ships. Water can be used for drinking and for rocket fuel through electrolysis. You also don't find all asteroids in the turbulent asteroid belt. They can be found in almost all star systems and even in between. Our local cluster of stars also have high asteroid content. With more places to call home, humans are also less susceptible to destruction of a planet or group of asteroids, this idea is supported by Stephen Hawking. The fact remains the same, Earth and everything else in the universe is counting down to destruction. A species limited to one planet cannot survive.
Fykwa

Con

Nidhogg28 explain to me this, how would we fund such an expedition? As of current no country has the necessary funding or materials. How would they choose who goes to the planets? People who have to stay on Earth might not enjoy that and riots would cause mass anger. There is always the competition of humans, we will never be able to truly unite. As the first colonies are set up a new era of war will begin that could ultimately destroy humanity.
Nidhogg28

Pro

Funding would come from wealthy investors looking for a profit, as many things can be manufactured better in space. People would be chose as volunteers. Many would be hesitant to leave Earth at first so housing could be developed, and Earth would be a place of comfort, while space is the frontier. The final frontier. While "humans will never unite" is a bit far, I believe you have a point. How would a war start? What is the cause? Please clarify your argument.
Fykwa

Con

Fykwa forfeited this round.
Posted by Nidhogg28 3 years ago
Nidhogg28
Please everyone who is reading, I apologize for any grammatical errors you may find. It isn't my best skill. I also wish to inform you that this is my first debate if my arguments are weak. Thank you for sharing your opinions here.