Chivalryiscomatose
ThePowerOfKnowlegde

Should IBM be allowed to develop artificial minds

Started: 1/5/2016 Category: Technology

Chivalryiscomatose

Pro

Well, should IBM be allowed to create the special high tech computer processors? First I am going to encourage you to do your own research and realize what they have actually don't and what they plan on doing in the future. I am for IBM continuing to research this is that this is a huge advancement! It is sort of a an old(ish) subject to do but is really a huge thing, also much cheaper and easier to use than quantum computing (look it up) basically it uses a bunch of processors as neurons for a small brain that thinks of its own solutions. Since I last did my research they had their tech up to be advanced as the brain as a rat. This would have to be strictly monitored tech and would have to be absolutely flawless if we don't want a rat computer running the government (probably still be better than any of the 2016 candidates haha) but this is some scary uncharted territory the tech world is venturing into. What do you people think?
ThePowerOfKnowlegde

Con

First let me say Hello, HLHF, and also this. I am actually pro on this issue, but am arguing the con side today.
Here we go:
While I agree with my fellow debater that IBM should continue to search for cutting edge technology, I feel that AI or advanced AIshould be kept out of the equation for now. Riddle me this. The people working at IBM are extremely intelligent. But as humans, they cannot physically increase their intelligence all by themselves. That being said, AI is a different story. If they were to be made intelligent enough, there would be a point where they could continue to expand upon themselves and may dwarf us in intelligence, and therefore power. And while the obvious answer is to just pull the plug, They could spread themselves like a virus (a computer virus actually) and never be deleted. They would wreck havoc.
Chivalryiscomatose

Pro

Chivalryiscomatose forfeited this round.
ThePowerOfKnowlegde

Con

Did I win? Or is something wrong? Why did you forfeit?
Chivalryiscomatose

Pro

ThePowerOfKnowlegde

Con

ThePowerOfKnowlegde forfeited this round.