Theunkown
inevitable_winner

Should India have annexed Pakistani Kashmir in the 1971 Indo-Pak war?

Theunkown

Theunkown

Pro

Recently I have been thinking about this resolution. Though it might seem controversial, I will argue for it. I would like to get some more insights into this issue hence the debate. Do be respectful.

*This is not meant to be offensive to Pakistanis or anybody else whatsoever, this is simply to analyze what would happen in an alternative timeline*

BoP is on me

Defenitions:
Annex - to incorporate (a country or other territory) within the domain of a state[1]
Pakistani Kashmir - The present day Pakistani provinces of Azad Kashmir and Gilgit Baltistan

Format:
Round 1 - Intro/Acceptance
Round 2 - Opening arguments (rebuttals allowed by Con)
Round 3/4 - Rebuttals (round 4 is last chance to make new arguments!)
Round 5 - Rebuttals/Conclusion (NO NEW ARGUMENTS)

I hope this does not create too much controversy :P (and I am no Indian Imperialist, I want to make that very clear)

[1]http://www.merriam-webster.com...;
inevitable_winner

Con

I accept your challenge and await your response.
Theunkown

Pro

To provide a quick background, During the December of 1971 India and Pakistan fought a war that lasted 13 days. However these 13 days would cripple Pakistan, never to recover from this war. I say that because Pakistan lost 1/2 of their population since East Pakistan formed an independent country (Bangladesh) and remains independent to this day.

Indian Forces and Bangladeshi rebels won a decisive victory in the war however the Indians gained nothing except severly weakening their rival Pakistan.

Kashmir is divided between both India and Pakistan (excluding Askai Chin which belongs to China). India owns 3/5 of Kashmir while the remaining 2/5 is Pakistan. Now, there are other regions divided between India and Pakistan as well (such as Bengal prior to the 1971 war and Punjab even today). However, Kashmir is unstable, possibly the most unstable border in the world is the Indo Pak border in Kashmir. Border skirmishes keep taking place. Of course, Skirmishes do escalate and both sides make incursions on each other's territory such as Pakistan invading the Indian town of Kargil and India invading the Siachen Glacier in Pakistani Kashmir.

It is obvious that the reason these skirmishes and 'mini wars' take place is because both sides want territory in Kashmir. If India demanded the annexation of Pakistani Kashmir, and assuming Pakistan agreed, I would argue that Border skirmishes would not take place and that the Kargil war could have never occured. I say this because if Pakistan withdraws from Kashmir and revokes all claims on Kashmir, Pakistan cannot afford to engage in border skirmishes with India (even if it wanted to).

Currently the Kashmir border between India and Pakistan is called 'the line of control'. This implies that this is not the official border and simply a ceasefire one. I believe this is the reason why other countries turn a blind eye to border violations here. If the same thing happened in Punjab (with a stable border), then it would hit global news and whoever violated the border will be have diplomatic consequences with the world (such as relations dropping, less willingness to ally, sanctions etc).

If Pakistan ceded their part of Kashmir to India then there is no ceasfire border, the border will be firm and official, meaning both sides will publicly recognize the border. Therefore, border violations will not occur without consequences from the international community. This is good because it saves many lives and can perhaps improve relations over time.

Of course relations will be badly damaged immediately after India annexes Kashmir, however over time relations will improve since there will be little to no ceasfire violations. The world really needs Indo-Pak relations to improve considering both sides are nuclear armed and have come close to nuclear war. The two countries are engaging in an arms race (similar to the cold war but a smaller scale)
If the two countries EVER exchange nuclear weapons it could be catastrophic to the world, due to nuclear winter/famine and of course the radiation. To make matters worse neither side has signed the Nuclear non proliferation treaty.[1][2][3]

Conclusion:
The ceding of Pakistani Kashmir to India will result in
- Stability of the Indo Pakistan border
- The aversion of the Kargil war
- Long term improvement of Indo-Pak relations (though short term will be badly damaged)
- Lower chance of Nuclear exchange

Hence it would have been better if India annexed Kashmir.

[1]http://tribune.com.pk...;
[2]http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
[3] http://news.bbc.co.uk...
inevitable_winner

Con

inevitable_winner forfeited this round.
Theunkown

Pro

-.- really? I extend arguments
inevitable_winner

Con

inevitable_winner forfeited this round.
Theunkown

Pro

and again
inevitable_winner

Con

inevitable_winner forfeited this round.
Theunkown

Pro

All Points to Pro
inevitable_winner

Con

inevitable_winner forfeited this round.
Posted by Theunkown 2 years ago
Theunkown
pleease do not forfeit
Posted by Theunkown 2 years ago
Theunkown
If you believe that, feel free to accept :D
Posted by ChosenWolff 2 years ago
ChosenWolff
No, they should leave Pakistan entirely. I support the break up of India.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Theunkowninevitable_winnerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.