Tylera.yang
evanallred123

Should International Schools Allow Local Students to Attend?

Tylera.yang

Con

International Schools should not allow local students to attend their schools since the whole point of joining an international school is to have an international feeling to it therefore having local students will take away that affect. And since the students in the international students usually acts in a specific way adding local students will create an atmosphere where they will feel alienated. They will not be able to act in what international schools deemed normal. Since I currently attend an international school I believe that letting local Chinese students to join our school would cause too many problems. The curriculum will have to be totally changed to accommodate these students such as ESl programs and financial aid.
evanallred123

Pro

I accept this debate and hope for a fun one!

International schools should allow local students to attend since, contrary to what my opponent believes, the point of international schools is, among other things, international accreditation[1]. How can a school claim to be international if it doesn't even allow students from its own nation to attend? Besides that, one of the other things that qualifies an international school is that it have non-selective student enrollment. This in of itself shows that if an international school were to limit its enrollment, it wouldn't even be qualified as an international school. My opponent talked about locals being alienated by joining an international school, but the fact is, they will feel just like everybody else. All of the people in an international school are from different countries. Each of these countries has their own customs and traditions. When everybody is so diverse in a school, adding in locals will make no difference in how they feel. Also, my opponent's personal example about attending an international school should not be considered as it is anecdotal and not evidence-based.

For these reasons, I see no other ballot than that of the Pro.

[1] - https://www.tieonline.com...
Tylera.yang

Con

My opponent states that locals should be allowed to attend international schools and will have no feelings of alienation. However local Chinese student has terrible English linguistic skills and therefore affect our learning. After a whole year they still cannot get to class on time, finish assignments which causes general disruptment in our school. In international schools worldwide this is still seen everyday. The school has to find a ways to shirt its attentions to ESL programs and have special classes to those that cannot understand because of their upbringing. They don't understand our way of learning and cannot communicate with the more diverse people, the African Americans and the whites. They frustrate the teachers and annoy fellow students. They stubbornly demand that all learning styles shift to what they are used to in a selfish and unreasonable way.

They don't understand the humor and usually become too analytic and dampen the mood. They don't understand the slangs and always take up too much time trying to raise up a simplistic point about a conversation 10 minutes ago. They are not taught to think as we were and therefore affect our community in a negative way. They also cause mayhem in the day to day schedule when they can't get their lockers open or make us wait for them whenever they are late to class. Local students should not be allowed to go to International Schools.
evanallred123

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for responding promptly.

Every single thing that my opponent said in his last speech was anecdotal, and had absolutely no evidence. This in of itself should render his entire last speech invalid. However, since these anecdotes were the only things that my opponent said in his entire last speech, I will spend a bit more time on them. My attacks will be itemized for organizational reasons.

1. My opponent was talking about how the locals don't get to class on time and don't finish assignments. He also stated, "In international schools worldwide this is still seen everyday." I would love to see some evidence of this, because my opponent didn't provide any. Assumptions with no evidence or even logic behind them cannot be taken as valid in this debate.

2. My opponent said that the schools have to turn attention to special programs for students who can't understand. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is an international school. People will be speaking different languages, have different cultures and upbringings. Locals will not be the only people in an international school who won't understand at first, but they can learn. That is why you go to school.

3. While on that same point, it was stated that the locals at Con's school of attendance "don't understand our learning and cannot communicate with the more diverse people, the African Americans and the whites." He went on to say that the local Chinese people demanded that everything be shifted to their learning styles. Several questions that I would like my opponent to answer: Evidence, please? Next, what make African-Americans and Whites more diverse than the Chinese? Since there are already tons of different cultures, what makes the Chinese locals unique? Why are they the only ones out of potentially hundreds of ethnic groups that can't understand what is going on? As my voters can see, there are tons of logical flaws in my opponent's point. All of these questions can be applied to the entirety of my opponent's case.

Now onto my own case. My opponent never attacked any of my points except for the one about non-alienation, so the rest of my points must flow through and be considered completely valid. As there were no attacks, I need not mount a defense.

Tylera.yang

Con

Bro i'm doing this for homework i just need facts about whether international schools should or not allow local students to attend. Please help me.
evanallred123

Pro

Ah, I see. In that case, you might have wanted to post this in the forums or something. You can use my points if you would like. I was actually doing some research for the debate and could find practically nothing. Here's a little article about locals overrunning international schools: http://www.telegraph.co.uk...; Unfortunately, I can't find much else. Sorry.
Tylera.yang

Con

thank you so much, i couldn't find anything on it either since its such a new topic
evanallred123

Pro

You're welcome. How long does it have to be?
Tylera.yang

Con

Tylera.yang forfeited this round.
evanallred123

Pro

Good luck on your homework.