Shotime
coon

Should Japan stop denying their atrocities committed during WW2?

Shotime

Pro

First Round is acceptance.
Rules:

1. No forfeiting.
2. Please try to keep nationalistic bias out of this debate.
coon

Con

I'd first like to say this is a loaded question.

A question must first be answered. What is an atrocity in wartime. The morality of man is blurred in times of war and Japan has the right to claim or ague for its own cause. The act of rampant fire bombings, where citizens burned alive is an act of strategic bombing or morale bombing. The act of putting a bullet in someone's head in the same quantity as that of the bombings is an atrocity. There is an inherent bias nature in calling the acts of the Japanese as atrocities and calling your own with polished euphemisms, then acting as if both parties are in the same position. No nation wants to admit how horrible they are and despite your rule that there should be no national bias, you have already unknowingly broken it with your own western bias. When such inherent biases already exist, how can one make the claim Japan should stop denying their atrocities when the hypocrisy of the Western world is keeping them from admitting their own actions as what they are. Atrocities.
Shotime

Pro

Shotime forfeited this round.
coon

Con

coon forfeited this round.
Shotime

Pro

Shotime forfeited this round.
coon

Con

Opponent has forfeited this round.
Posted by Shotime 2 years ago
Shotime
Unfortunately I need to forfeit due to school. I will notify you if I am available to debate again in the future.
Posted by Shotime 2 years ago
Shotime
Gahhh! Sorry I was really busy and should revise my question.
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
"Please try to keep nationalistic bias out of this debate."
Without arguing a stance on nationalism, how would con debate this?
Posted by Hematite12 2 years ago
Hematite12
The question posed begs an answer, and as such, no one should accept it lest they be screwed.

The question implies that Japan as a whole IS denying their atrocities. The question doesn't leave open the possibility for arguing that they don't deny their atrocities.

And if we are already supposing that they do deny it, who would argue that they should continue to deny it? That doesn't make sense. Of course people not taking responsibility for their actions isn't a good thing.

With all due respect, the question is contrived to allow Pro an easy win.
Posted by Shotime 2 years ago
Shotime
Yes, but in the end school history textbooks are whitewashed. Which is why the majority of Japanese do not understand their dark history. I am japanese myself, but I'm looking to debate with a nationalist.
Posted by Rayze 2 years ago
Rayze
you do know that the comments of a minority of the Japanese population regarding atrocities in World War II don't reflect the stance of the Japanese people or its government