valcarcelm
Danielle

Should Jersey shore be cancelled?

Danielle

valcarcelm

Pro

I personally HATE the jersey shore. I think its stupid to waste of time to sit down on a Thursday night and watch orange crayons make fools of themselves on national television. First of all, when I first heard of Jersey Shore I thought people on the show would actually BE from South Jersey, not Staten Island or wherever else they are from. These people are not only giving Italians a bad name, they are giving Jersey people a bad name. Everyone thinks if your from jersey all you do is gym, tan, laundry, party, and get drunk. This summer I went on a mission trip to Madrid, Spain. I met people from hundreds of different countries. And every time I said I was from New Jersey in the US, they started fist pumping in my face. I was actually ashamed to be from New Jersey for the first time of my life.
Second of all, the image of a women to me is someone who respects herself, her body, and her image. SNOOKIE IS NONE OF THESE. She let a man punch her in the face. She can't work a phone because its shaped like a duck. She doesn't filter her words. and did I mention she's ugly? I don't understand what the obsession is with her being on every magazine cover and commercial. she's filthy rich for being a oblivious hoe on a reality television show. how is that attractive?
I'm completely taken back on the amount of money they make for being on this show and the publicity they get. If it weren't for this show, they would be NOBODY'S. People work their butts off at multiple jobs to pay their expenses and these people are getting rich by showing off the awful personalities they have.
I just don't understand the obsession with this show. I have asked my friends why they like it and they tell me it's so funny it makes you feel better on a bad day. So I tried watching it one day. I felt no emotion while I did. It was the most boring show ever. They might as well tape everyones life and put it on MTV. Its that easy.
Danielle

Con

Hello my fellow Jerseyan :)

I mostly took this debate for the lulz and because I watch the show :P I happen to live on the Jersey Shore. I'll begin by addressing your criticisms (bolded below) and then make a few points about why Jersey Shore should not be cancelled in the next round due to character limits.

1. The people featured on the show are not actually from the Jersey Shore.

The premise of the show is to follow people who spend their summer at the Jersey Shore - not people who are FROM the Jersey Shore. Since the cast resides in Seaside Heights (on the Jersey Shore), the show lives up to its name and where the cast is from is irrelevant. Many people who spend their summers at the Jersey Shore are not actually from there.

2. The characters give Italians and people from Jersey a "bad name."

The cast do not represent New Jersey. Before Jersey Shore, what gave New Jersey a GOOD name? Answer: nothing. Known as "The Armpit State," New Jersey was relatively ignored. It's ridiculous of people to assume that everyone from New Jersey lives to GTL. That's like assuming everyone from California lives to surf or that everyone who lived in Germany during WWII was a Nazi. The point is that the problem with this contention are the people making the assumptions - not the cast of the Jersey Shore. It is an ignorant stereotype with little to no factual basis for that assumption. Further, consider all of the television shows pertaining to the mafia. People assume that all Italians have ties to the mob. Obviously that is not true. It could be argued that movies such as A Bronx Tale, The Godfather and Goodfellas all give Italians bad names (not to mention The Sopranos, Donnie Brasco and Carlito's Way). The point is that people will always make silly judgments about ALL races, nationalities and demographics; i.e., assuming everyone from the South is either polite and friendly or a total redneck.

3. Snookie is not a positive role model for women.

Television shows do not exist to portray positive role models but to provide entertainment. Snookie is quite the character whether you admire her or not. Plus, it could be argued that she is a good role model insofar as she is not bound by societal expectations of female sexuality but rather lives her life the way she wants to without apologies.

4. The characters make a lot of money for no good reason.

The answer is simple: supply and demand. Apparently people find the antics of the cast highly entertaining (which you concede since your friends all seem to enjoy it). As such, they are willing to watch the show. MTV gets paid a lot of money from advertisements for ads to be featured during the program. The cast garners MTV that money, thus in effect have earned that money whether you agree with their actions or not. Even though technically other people could do the same things and get paid for it, the same can be said about a lot of other well paying jobs.
valcarcelm

Pro

1. thats not interesting at all. who would wanna watch people vacationing at the jersey shore? the show would be so much interesting if it were people that actually lived there and grew up there. when i first heard of jersey shore i thought it would be something like the series 'laguna beach" a few years back. watching people vacation during the summer = waste of anyones time.
2. sure there will always be judgements of nationalities that understood. however these assumptions were created by this cast and are the blame of why jersey is now known as the fist pumping state.
3. snooki being used for entertainment is a low for mtv. watching a girl make a fool of herself for attention. hey come on guys you see that at every bar.
4. true: supply and demand. but this cannot be compared to other well-paying jobs. this is not a job to them, its a lifestyle
Danielle

Con

[[ Re-Cap Thus Far ]]

1. Pro's first point was that the majority of the cast aren't from the Jersey Shore. I pointed out that the premise of the show was to capture a group of people who vacation there - not who live there. She responded by saying "That's not interesting at all - Who would want to watch a show about people vacationing?" Whether Pro thinks it is interesting or not is entirely irrelevant. Apparently other people find it entertaining, so her opinion isn't the be-all and end-all of television.

2. I pointed out that people always make assumptions and have prejudice about various groups of people. Pro doesn't deny this and instead insists that the cast of the Jersey Shore is the reason people assume certain things about New Jersey. This is not only entirely irrelevant but also entirely false. People have had this impression of the Jersey Shore long before some of the cast members were even born. Fist pumping might be a new thing, but the type of people and activities that occur on the Jersey Shore have existed for quite some time. It has always been known for it's party and bar scene during the summer. The Italian-American stereotypes are also nothing new.

3. Pro didn't negate the idea that Snookie could be considered a positive role model. Regardless, she dropped my point that television shows exist to entertain people (and make money from advertisements) - not necessarily to promote a positive message which Jersey Shore never claimed to be about.

4. Pro agrees that supply and demand pays the cast of the Jersey Shore, so technically they earn the money. If they were boring, people most likely wouldn't watch them. However they are funny or at least silly and able to keep people's attention. Not everybody can do that.

[[ Contentions for Con ]]

1. Jersey Shore creates jobs. Because it is a wildly popular show, that causes a demand for a large production crew, security (for the cast as they frollick), etc. This is good for individual families and the overall economy.

2. Jersey Shore increases NJ real-estate and helps boost various aspects of the economy. The Mayor of Seaside Heights notes, "The boost to the economy shows. When they are here this place is busy. A lot of businesses appreciate that." Fans of the show flock to Seaside Heights to try and get on TV and/or meet and party with the cast. As a result, businesses in the area flourish as does tax revenue.

3. I personally find a lot of shows boring and/or stupid. Does that mean they should be cancelled just because I don't like them? No, if there is a market for the show, then it should be on TV. '

4. People mock the cast of the Jersey Shore all the time. Just because we might find their antics funny doesn't necessarily mean we condone them. Not everyone who watches the show will be influenced by it. Regardless, who are we to judge their values? If they only care about sex, tanning, dressing well and going to the gym, that's their prerogative.
valcarcelm

Pro

Bringing up new points...
I am not the only one in this state that thinks Jersey shore should be cancelled. According to hollyscoop.com, the NJ senator believes the Jersey shore should also be cancelled. He states, "MTV Networks, a unit of Viacom, doesn't just reflect popular culture—we shape it." MTV existence is to show off pop culture for teens around the world. This channel shapes our society and our youth. By Having this show air, its not only tarnishing our state, but also our culture in general. He also bring up the point of the derogatory term frequently used on the show, 'guido' and 'guidette.' According to many Italians, Guido is slang for a low-class Italian-American. Since the 1970's it has evolved into a new meaning of macho attitude for Italians. Bring back up my point that this show is not only making New jersey look bad, but also making Italians look bad. Nationalities will always have their judgements, however the existence of Jersey shore is enforcing this judgment in our society and also instilling it in our youth that watches this show, that all Italians are like the ones they watch on Jersey Shore.

Here is my link to the article I found: http://www.hollyscoop.com...
Danielle

Con

I'll make this round quick - there's a new episode of Jersey Shore airing soon that I plan on watching :)

Also, there's not much to say. Pro has dropped every single one of her contentions choosing to ignore my rebuttal and negation of her points. The only one she really extends is that Jersey Shore continues to portray Jerseyans and specifically Italian-Americans in a negative way, because of the "guido" stereotype they portray. It's ignorant to suggest that being a "guido" is a negative stereotype anyway; that is simply some people's chosen way of life. While the term originally was a slur for low-income Italian-Americans, now it describes people who engage in certain activities. Some of those include GTL (those who attend the gym, tan and do their laundry a lot) - none of which are inherently bad. Dancing at night clubs is also not inherently bad, and embracing Italian-American culture certainly isn't either. Therefore, not everybody has to like "guidos" just like everybody doesn't have to appreciate "cowboys" who live a different lifestyle.

Further, Pro asserts that she is not the only person who wants Jersey Shore cancelled; some politician does too. Fortunately for my viewing pleasure, Pro once again is not the be-all and end-all decider of what gets aired on television, nor is the politician. Once again business operates on supply and demand. The fact that the cast of Jersey Shore and MTV earn so much money indicates that the television show is in very high demand.

Moreover, we don't cancel everything just because we consider them possible bad influences. Alcohol is legal despite causing thousands of deaths each year. McDonalds is promoted despite being absolutely disgusting (what they put in your food and how it's raised, killed, cooked, stored and preserved). Other television shows depicting violence and crime are embraced and given rave reviews, i.e., The Sopranos (which is also a show that portrays Italian-Americans negatively as gangsters, and takes place in New Jersey). Certain music with questionable themes is also permissible. As such, it has become increasingly obvious that Pro hasn't given us one good reason whatsoever as to why Jersey Shore should be cancelled.

Finally, Pro has dropped every single one of Con's contentions, so please extend them all.
valcarcelm

Pro

First of all the reason i keep bringing up the portrayal of Jerseyans is because I'm not the only one that thinks this. Second of all the show the Sopranos attracts a different type of crowd. A crowd that is older and wiser and understands that some Italians lived their life like this. However, Jersey Shore attracts teenagers. These teenagers don't know any better than mimic the people on they see on tv. Whatever they see on tv, they can't understand that not all people are like that.
You also dropped my point that MTV is suppose to be reflecting popular culture such as music, videos, news, etc. Jersey shore is not popular culture but embarrassing views on people.
Danielle

Con

Danielle forfeited this round.
valcarcelm

Pro

valcarcelm forfeited this round.
Danielle

Con

Danielle forfeited this round.
Posted by ConservativePolitico 5 years ago
ConservativePolitico
*bang* noob snipe
Posted by THEBOMB 5 years ago
THEBOMB
probably haha
Posted by CAPLlock 5 years ago
CAPLlock
Is it racist to 'read' this in a Latino accent?
Posted by THEBOMB 5 years ago
THEBOMB
Your entire argument is based upon your opinion of the show. Many tv shows give people "bad names" that's life.

I'd take this but, I don't have time for a 5 round debate on this topic.
Posted by valcarcelm 5 years ago
valcarcelm
thanks but i decided to talk about a whole different subject now.
Posted by LiberalHoyaLawya 5 years ago
LiberalHoyaLawya
I have a couple of friendly suggestions. First, you designated yourself as the "Pro" side for "Discriminating or bullying because of Culture," when it's clear from your argument that you are actually against culturally-based discrimination & bullying. You might want to change your side to "Con" to make it clear that you oppose discrimination.

More importantly, however, is the fact that you probably won't get anyone to accept your challenge as it currently exists. Who do you think will take a position that culturally-based discrimination & bullying is a good thing?

A more interesting debate challenge would be "Culturally-based discrimination is still widespread in America today." Everybody agrees that discrimination is a bad thing, but some people might disagree with your belief that discrimination is still widespread. I happen to agree with you, so I won't debate you on it, but I know plenty of people would disagree.
Vote Placed by Beachgirly 5 years ago
Beachgirly
valcarcelmDanielleTied
Reasons for voting decision: I voted :3
Vote Placed by Mak-zie 5 years ago
Mak-zie
valcarcelmDanielleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had the better arguments, but I have to give Pro props as they did not forfeit as many rounds as Con. Neither had any sources.
Vote Placed by GeoLaureate8 5 years ago
GeoLaureate8
valcarcelmDanielleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con effectively refuted all of Pros points. Pro would make a point, it gets refuted then she backs off it and brings up a new point and all Pros arguments boiled down to was she doesn't like the show, and because she doesn't like what they do and it's possibly influential, she thinks it should be canceled. Whats wrong with partying again? Living life how they want is good.
Vote Placed by royalpaladin 5 years ago
royalpaladin
valcarcelmDanielleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro basically dropped all of Con's arguments, which were infinitely stronger. Con wins the job creation argument as well as the argument about supply and demand. I personally wholeheartedly agree with Pro's sentiments, but she did not adequately defend her position.