brittney11
kckettler

Should Jury Nullification be Abolished?

kckettler

brittney11

Con

This debate will pertain to the idea of abolishing jury nullification. I will argue the necessity for jury nullification in U.S. courts.
kckettler

Pro

I accept your challenge! Let's make it a good one.
brittney11

Con

brittney11 forfeited this round.
kckettler

Pro

As my opponent forfeited the first round, I really hope my he is doing all right. Because it seems as if he won't be debating I will be very brief compared to my usual arguments.

Jury nullification
is a constitutional doctrine which allows juries to acquit criminal defendants who are technically guilty, but who do not deserve punishment. It occurs in a trial when a jury reaches a verdict contrary to the judge's instructions as to the law.[1]

1. Jury nullification can act as judicial activism. But instead of acting through legislative practices or abiding by statutory law, it seeks to avoid dealing within the law entirely. When a group of people nullify the verdict, they nullify the law of the land.

2. In court case U.S. v. Thomas[2], "Second Circuit ruled that jurors can be removed if there is evidence that they intend to nullify the law, under Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure." That ruling has not been contested by the Supreme Court. In effect, the judicial system already sees jury nullification as a threat to an effective judiciary and as a threat to the democratic process.

3. Jury nullification gives an unfair advantage to the defendant. When prosecuting a possible criminal, there is no equivalent for the prosecution to seek. By definition, it allows the guilty to go free.

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2]U.S. v. Thomas No. 95-1337 (2nd Cir. 5-20-97).
brittney11

Con

brittney11 forfeited this round.
kckettler

Pro

Before this I didnt know what Jury Nullification was, so I thank my opponent for that. Its unfortunate he was not able to debate here, and I wish him all the best. Otherwise, please vote pro. I would really prefer not to tie here.
Vote Placed by DeFool 4 years ago
DeFool
brittney11kckettlerTied
Reasons for voting decision: By no means can this contest end in a draw.