ice.jeremy
RyuuKyuzo

Should Justin Bieber continue his career in the music industry

RyuuKyuzo

ice.jeremy

Con

I think Justin Bieber should not continue his career in the music industry, not only he is making worthless songs, but also his attitude is worst than any other music icons; he is also picking up a fight with the media people, which is nonsense.
RyuuKyuzo

Pro

Since my opponent has opened with his arguments, I'll present mine. I'll keep it light.

My opponent contends that Justin Bieber (JB) ought not continue his music career. His reasons are as follows

1. His songs are worthless
2. He picks fights with the media, which makes him worse than any other music icon

To rebut point 1, his songs are certainly not worthless. His net worth is 110 million dollars [1], so obviously his songs have considerable worth. This establishes that there is a market for JB's music, and so he should continue to supply this demand both for his own well-being and for the entertainment of his fans. If my opponent doesn't like JB's music, then a more reasonable response would be to simply not listen to his music whenever possible, rather than calling for him to retire.

On point 2, his "fights" with the media are barely verbal conflicts at most. As you can see in this video [2], Justin's "lashing out" is little more than male posing. Consider the behavior of other pop artists such as Chris Brown, who beat his girlfriends Rihanna [3], or James Brown, who was arrested several times for drug use and domestic violence and even got into a high-speed chase with the police [4], or the many other examples of pop-artists whose names don't end in "Brown"... Compared to this, JB is a harmless kitten.

In conclusion, there's no compelling reason here for JB to retire. His music fills a market demand and his attitude, while perhaps annoying, is not an actual threat to anyone.

Vote Pro

1. http://www.therichest.org...
2. [Video]
3. http://en.wikipedia.org...(American_entertainer)
4. http://en.wikipedia.org...
ice.jeremy

Con

I will keep my argument short and yet simple. He's not being a good example for the people in the world, especially for his fans. A good icon never shows nor let his fans know that he's doing drugs. Is that what he wants his fans to follow and do. I know he has rights to do what he wants, but if you are already in the music industry, you must make sacrifices in order to make your career stable and successful.

I know that whether it's good or bad publicity it is still publicity, they will still make money out of the news that are sprouting in the television; All I'm saying is that in order for your fans not to be a rebel, you must also teach them on how to respect and follow their parents. Let's take Eminem for instance, he's a good artist, actually he's my favorite artist. Even though Eminem has many songs that make some people be a rebel, he is not forgetting to remind his fans that his songs are not meant to be take seriously; he even made a song on how to be a good person.

If Justin Bieber would be a good artist, dress up properly and be a good symbol for his fans. Then I can say that he should continue his career, but for now he should not continue his career.
RyuuKyuzo

Pro

My opponent has decided to drop his original arguments and instead bring up a new argument.

1. JB is a poor role model for doing drugs
2. JB is a poor role model because he doesn't teach respect in his songs

On point 1, my opponent has provided no source, but I'm assuming he's talking about this photo of JB smoking pot [1]. Let's not blow this out of proportion. As far as drugs go, weed is arguably the least concerning one to take. It's even less dangerous than alcohol to one's health [2]. Besides, like I pointed out last round, James Brown had been arrested several times for drug use (specifically angel dust) [3]. Drug use is very common amongst pop-artists and so if we hold Con's standards universally, there are many other people who ought to be forced into retirement before JB.

On point 2, JB's music may or may not tell you to respect your elders, but there's no negative messages to them either. They're usually about a girl and how much he cares about her. There's nothing wrong with such a message, at least nothing that warrants JB to frequently remind his fans not to take his music seriously like Eminem has to do. Besides, even if JB's music did require JB to give this message, why does that mean he ought to quit making music? If Con is okay with Eminem making songs with violent themes so long as he reminds his fans not to take his songs seriously, then Con must also agree that JB, a singer whose songs are less negative, should at least be allowed to do the same.

To conclude, JB's drug use is far from objectionable enough to justify my opponent's case without simultaneously justifying that many other (I would go so far as to say most) singers should quite. Secondly, Con failed to establish that JB's music has any negative messages requiring him to make a public statement about, nor did Con justify why the necessity to make a public statement justifies his position anyway, especially when Con himself gives an example of an artist who he feels okay with continuing to make music so long as he does this.

Vote Pro.

1. http://www.tmz.com...
2. http://www.saferchoice.org...
3. http://en.wikipedia.org...
ice.jeremy

Con

While majority of Justin Bieber's fans are teenagers, is it right to show them how to use drugs? is it right to show them on how to dress improperly? people in the music industry are like leaders, all that follow them are doing and thinking the same thing as their leader, if the leader is not showing proper attitude and proper lifestyle, what do you think will happen to the followers of course their life will become miserable.

To become a great person, you must first fix yourself so that the people around you will also become a great symbol for other people as well. If you are consistent on making the same worthless thing over and over again, I guess in the next 2 to 4 years, their lives will be less productive and fortunate.
RyuuKyuzo

Pro

I'd like to thank my opponent for this fun, short debate. Since this is the last round I'll post direct responses to Con and give my conclusion.

"is it right to show them how to use drugs?"

Is it wrong? Con hasn't established this. Furthermore, JB didn't show his fans "how to use drugs". He was simply photographed smoking pot. As stated previously, this argument Con is putting forth, if taken seriously, is enough to justify the forced retirement of several singers before JB, as many singers have been caught doing worse things. Con has failed to dress this criticism.

"is it right to show them on how to dress improperly?"

This is a new argument. Con has not established that JB dresses improperly, nor that he teaches this. Furthermore, even if he dressed "improperly", Con has failed to show why this justifies JB discontinuing his music career.

"people in the music industry are like leaders"

Perhaps, but we are the one's who choose who gets put up on a pedestal and who does not. We needn't listen to JB if we don't want to, and so he's only a leader for you to the extent that you view him as your leader. The problem is with you the listener, not with JB making a living off his singing.

"what do you think will happen to the followers of course their life will become miserable."

Ignoring the shoddy grammar here, Con has in no way established that listening to JB will make your life miserable, nor why that is enough to justify JB retiring. It's his life and his voice, so if he can make a living off of singing he should have that option and Con has given no compelling reason why this ought not be the case.

Con frequently dropped arguments and added new arguments in to his last round. His arguments are sometimes difficult to follow due to rough grammar and he failed to source any of his claims. The one argument he did retain (drug use) was not defended, just re-asserted ignoring my criticisms. In short, each and every one of my opponent's claims have been refuted, with no attempt from Con to defend his arguments. As such, his position has not been established, he has failed to fulfil his burden of proof, and has lost this debate.

Vote Pro.
Posted by Oryus 4 years ago
Oryus
Daaamn. After watching that vid, I feel bad for him now. That sucks. I definitely never want to be famous....

And he was just some kid on youtube!!!
Posted by FrogLover 4 years ago
FrogLover
He should not continue he's already made very bad decisions imagine what he can do later?
Vote Placed by Smithereens 4 years ago
Smithereens
ice.jeremyRyuuKyuzoTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate does not require much of an RFD at all, Con's case was simply lacking and was demolished at every turn. Easy win for Pro
Vote Placed by kingsjester 4 years ago
kingsjester
ice.jeremyRyuuKyuzoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con failed to defend or support any of his arguments.
Vote Placed by Xerge 4 years ago
Xerge
ice.jeremyRyuuKyuzoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con drop many of his arguments, and they were not sourced or very detailed which allowed Pro to easily refute them. Con did not to respond to Pro's refutations on Justin Bieber not being a bad role model and music being worthless. Conduct to Pro because Con presented a new argument in the final round.
Vote Placed by DoctorDeku 4 years ago
DoctorDeku
ice.jeremyRyuuKyuzoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ad-hoc rescue on the part of the Con.
Vote Placed by Nur-Ab-Sal 4 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
ice.jeremyRyuuKyuzoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Well, Con introduced new arguments in the last round, so I guess that means conduct to Pro, though I'm not really sure how all of that works. Besides that, arguments to Pro since he failed to provide any compelling arguments, and dropped previous ones throughout the debate. Not much else to say.