Octavian_Peace
bananasocks1

Should Katniss have married Peeta?

Started: 1/8/2014 Category: Funny

Octavian_Peace

Con

This is my first submitted debate, and due to my lack of experience, or simply because it is in my nature to allow my opponent to make the first move. As you may ges i am askng the Affirmative to make its arguments first. If this violates any written or unwritten rule i supose i shall find out soon.
bananasocks1

Pro

I think since I am on the pro side that i am obligated to stand up for Peeta.
Reason #1 Gale was a terrible choice for Katniss: Gale walks about with a chip on his shoulder, as does Katniss - they're best friends because they're so alike. More like brother and sister, if anything.
And who really wants to get it on with their brother? That's just nasty!
Reason #2:He was to controlling of Katniss

Reason #1 Why Peeta is way better: He can bake .We know there's many other reasons to have led with, and we'll get to them, but let's be clear about this: being with Peeta is literally having your cake, and eating it too " because he will make it for you after you've cuddled.

#2:He's jacked . Sure Gale can hunt, but can he hurl sacks of flour across the room? No, probably not, which means he'd probably be bad at helping you move the furniture around in your dream home. Heck, with guns like those, Peeta could probably even build the dream home.

#3:He always puts Katniss first. How quickly Rosenthal has forgotten that when push came to shove and Seneca Crane revoked the caveat that allowed there to be two winners from the same district, Peeta was willing to die so Katniss could survive. We didn't see Gale volunteer as a tribute, now did we?
Octavian_Peace

Con

I will begin by responding to the Affirmative's arguments, and then proceed to present my own case.
I would like you to group the Aff's 1st and 2nd arguments together and note that the Aff is assuming that the definite alternative to Katniss's marriage to Peeta is a marriage to Gale. This is not true. The premise of the resolution is whether she should have, period. Therefore, these arguments hold no weight.
Moving on to the next argument, I will counter this by saying that A) this is implying that cake and other confections not only would and should be a major deciding factor in such an important decision such as one regarding matrimony, but also that it is an important component in deciding whether Katniss should have married Peeta, which it is not, as, again, we are discussing a more serious decision on somewhat moral ground, as shown by the "should" in the resolution, and B) even if it were an important factor, "Gale can hunt" as the Aff brought up, which would more or less solve for any detriments seen from a lack of competent cook among a pair of spouses.
Next, on the 4th argument, I would like to begin by saying yes; Gale probably can throw sacks of flour across the room. I would also like to again point out that the Aff is assuming that rather shallow factors, such as musculature, should be seriously considered when looking at the moral implications of marrying someone.
In the last argument, the Aff finally begins to touch on the true nature of this debate, by bringing up that Peeta would be a worthy choice as he cares quite a lot in a quite romantic fashion for Katniss. Initially, I would like to say that Gale cares for Katniss as well, if not as devotedly as Peeta. However, I will further counter this argument in my own case.
Moving on to said case, I stand in negation of the resolved for three reasons: 1. she does not love him, 2. she married him for the wrong reasons and 3. She can't marry either and have the book end well.
On my first argument, I think it is obvious she does not harbor any serious romantic affection for Peeta. To her, he is merely a very close friend and a tool for survival. As such, there really is no reason other than these that she would want to marry him. You can cross-apply this to the Aff"s last argument- just because Peeta loves her doesn"t mean she should marry him. For lack of a better example of this, I will refer you to the relationship of Gaston and Belle in Disney"s Beauty and the Beast. Gaston clearly wishes to marry Belle (after getting over a messy divorce with himself), but does that mean she should marry him? No. Granted, there are a number of other factors contributing to this outcome, but the fact remains. Just because someone loves you does not mean you should marry them.
This ties into my next point, which I will support by pointing out that the only reason she married Peeta is because she was despondent and didn"t see anything else to do. After Prim and Coin died, the latter at the hand of Katniss and the former at the hand of the latter (and, indirectly, Gale), Katniss was rather hapless and confused, as her worldview and psyche were severely upset. In this state, she saw little else to do but marry Peeta as he was the easy cop-out of the situation. As such, she should not have married him as the decision was made under flawed logical parameters.
My last argument I make partially in frustration, but it remains germane nonetheless. What Mrs. Collins has done in The Hunger Games series is create a love triangle between Katniss, Peeta and Gale. A similar setup is seen in the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. However, Collins has done this a little too well. One of the critical elements of any love triangle, especially one of high quality, is the tension that is created between the metaphorical vertices of the triangle, which makes the book more intense and, well, romantic. However, the triangle in The Hunger Games, has been made too tense, to the point where Katniss cannot happily and effectively marry either choice. She cannot chose Gale as he is too much like a brother to her and she fells alienated and somewhat hostile towards him for his involvement in Prim"s death, and she cannot chose Peeta because, again, she does not love him and he probably creeps her out a bit (honestly, the guy follows her like a lost puppy, then tries to kill her, and then follows her like a puppy again- how"s that for creepy?). Therefore, Katniss should not have married Peeta in the interest of the book because the love triangle has too much tension for her to make either choice and end the book well.
In summary of my attacks on my opponent"s case, I would like to say that they are either irrelevant or ineffective, as was explained previously. As such, they hold no weight and, for all intents and purposes, have not been said. Therefore, there is no case for the affirmative side, and thus I would win automatically no matter what I said. However, despite this fact, I have provided my case to support the negative side, proving through my points that there is no reason for Katniss to marry Peeta, and a number of them for her not to. Therefore, I believe the Negative side has won this debate
bananasocks1

Pro

bananasocks1 forfeited this round.
Octavian_Peace

Con

Octavian_Peace forfeited this round.
bananasocks1

Pro

bananasocks1 forfeited this round.
Octavian_Peace

Con

Octavian_Peace forfeited this round.
bananasocks1

Pro

bananasocks1 forfeited this round.
Octavian_Peace

Con

The Affirmative has failed to respond to any of my arguments and therefore, since silence is consent in debate, has conceded them. At this point, I have won the debate because both the Affirmative and Negative agree on my position, given it has been conceded by the Affirmative. For this reason, along with all those I presented in my arguments in Round 2, I urge you to vote Negative. I thank you for your time in evaluating this debate.
bananasocks1

Pro

bananasocks1 forfeited this round.
Posted by Octavian_Peace 3 years ago
Octavian_Peace
And so we wait...
Posted by Octavian_Peace 3 years ago
Octavian_Peace
So?
Posted by Cheetah 3 years ago
Cheetah
If people didn't read the books this would be a spoiler.