Senatus
leopardfire123

Should Kids Be Forced To Go To School

Senatus

Senatus

Pro

"Excuse me, but are you serious?

The argument that says they cannot make life decisions.. Those people make me sick. Children are as smart as any adult. I am twelve, and although I'm young, I know a good deal about education. My reading level is high school. I know a lot more stuff than most people here know. Mostly because I want to get a job inventing software/hardware for computers. I am doing research on this and getting a good understanding for it. I know javascript, and I'm pretty sure most people don't know javascript. But did school teach me anything relevant to the career I want? Other than math, no other subject has taught me anything. I taught myself javascript simply by reading it. Nothing in my school has taught me anything important. And history.. Don't get me started on history. Which job would give a crap about where indians live? What we do care about are more interesting subjects, such as World War Two. And the French were barely mentioned, if not only hinted at when I was taught the revolutionary war. Honestly, it's better to teach yourself rather than have other people force useless subjects on you that you will never use in your life. Science/math are an exception, but the rest.. No. Just no. Kids should have a choice to go to school."

I disagree with your opinion on the poll "Should Kids Be Forced to Go to School". I think that kids like you are the exception, not the rule. You also have failed to mention one of the most important subjects, English.

Arguments:

Most kids, especially in America, don't think of education as a positive thing. Kids like that will not go to school by choice. How else will America get the jobs that they need to stay competitive in the future? Surely those kids will not teach themselves everything?

You also said that history is useless and science is. What if one were to become a historian? What if you became and author? I think that English and History might help other professions. Science and math are valuable in others. I think that all subjects are somewhat relevant.

It is good that you have the initiative to teach yourself javascript, but even that will not get you far. There is more too programming than just one language, and javascript is one that is easier to learn than others. It is hard to do focused learning without a real teacher. Very few have that gift.

There are other jobs out there than just programming and science. Although these jobs are important, other subjects create jobs too. School is still important and relevant.
leopardfire123

Con

I accept your debate. May this argument rage on until a clear victor is found.

Pro states that most Americans will not teach themselves.

I see your point here, as this is most likely true. However, and alternative to school would this:

Once a week, a child would go to a school. Although not a traditional school. A teacher from each subject would assign work to each child. They would then give them papers for the ways to do it, explain for 5-10 minutes, then go to the next teacher, etc. Once home, a child would look at their resources and do the work. Over a period of time, they would turn in work, review, repeat. The test would be online under the supervision of parents. This would let them do the majority of the work at home, and this also lets them do it in a comfortable environment.

Pro also states that English and History can also be useful subjects.

This is true. However, there are few chances to be a bestselling author, or a recognized author at all. History opens up very few pathways to jobs. Now, you might be thinking "What about archaeology?". Once again, science plays a vital role in archaeology. Carbon dating, for example.

Another thing. From what I've seen in my school, English does not teach you much (But then again, we are in America.) other than grammar. The only other thing that might be relevant to the real world is vocabulary, yet the vocabulary they teach is simple. I doubt anyone would know what an oxymoron is. For everyone who doesn't know, oxymoron are two words that contradict each other.

I await your defending argument Pro.
Senatus

Pro

Rebuttals:

Teachers might need more than 10 minutes to explain something. A student in need of help might not be able to get any. An impoverished family might not have access to the online assignment. Numerous things prevent your vision from happening. Regardless, I count this still as school, nevertheless a reformed one, under the basis of this argument.

English actually teaches you how to write. People need that. Without it, you could not write persuasively, to get a grant or to debate someone as you are doing now. If you need to write a report, the grammar skill that you learned in English will be useful. A well written report report will look good, unlike one that would be the result of an uneducated worker. A scientist writing a paper needs English. I could go on and on.

History is a little different. Nowadays, Social Studies is a more common subject. Where would our country be if people did not even know about the rest of the world? What would we do if people didn't vote simply because they did not have the education to even understand the issues? Needless to say, the nation would be a train wreck.

I never said that science wasn't important, but it generally applies to a different set of professions than history and/or English does. Science, and all subjects, are important in some way.

Arguments:

School gives students the knowledge of skills that they might not otherwise have. For example, a school teaches kids how to stay on schedule. You are punished if you are late to class, and you get a credit reduction on late work. In the real world, being late can get you fired, and turning in an important project late can result in a job loss also. Students without school do not have this.

Another argument is that schools give the potential to learn other things. A student without a solid base in mathematics cannot learn to be a theoretical physicist, likewise, a student who doesn't know about Social Studies cannot become a politician. You need to learn the basics to master anything else; math is a preresiquite for accounting, and English for a journalist. You cannot learn everything on your own with a shaky understanding of basic concepts you taught yourself.

I await your response.

By the way, I did know what an oxymoron was.
leopardfire123

Con

leopardfire123 forfeited this round.
Senatus

Pro

Final round.

Rebuttals:
None (you forfeited)

Arguments:
If one were to teach oneself things solely on their own, they would likely make mistakes. Mistakes are a natural human thing; we can't get rid of them. If we do not have another person to guide us, we might practice in the mistakes we made while teaching ourselves. Teachers can point out errors.

If we were not to have colleges and such, we could not learn high level skills. While it might be easy to teach yourself to do addition or possibly even calculus, where could one learn to be an accountant, a doctor or an engineer? Would you want to have a "professional" accountant get you in trouble with the IRS because they messed up information that they found out of a book? Would you want an engineers designing a skyscraper who had taught himself various things, yet still could not design a safe building? Perhaps most of all, would you allow a doctor who taught themselves how to do neurosurgery? I don't think so. We need professionals, and we need professionals to learn from professionals. Without these systems of education in place, our world would be a very unsafe place.

Another argument for schools is that homeschooled students have a hard time adjusting to a social life[1]. America is social. If all students were schooled in the home, there would be problems for America when these kids got to the real world. Even if the benefits of a home education did help America, we would be unable to function without a social generation.

My last question for you is this: can students really stay self-directed on their own? I would claim that the majority can't. Many will not attempt to learn even with a teacher there, which you can see from going inside of any public school. Would these students who constantly procrastinate and misbehave be able to teach themselves the information that would make America into a nation that could compete on the global stage? Maybe some of it, but I don't think that anyone but the extremely gifted could do this. To learn how to read and write, to perform mathematical functions, to learn about the complicated world that we live in, students need school. There is really no substitute.

Thanks to my opponent for participating in this debate.

[1]http://www.cbsnews.com...

leopardfire123

Con

leopardfire123 forfeited this round.
Posted by leopardfire123 2 years ago
leopardfire123
Sorry I wasn't able to post my debate, I broke my finger, so I couldn't type for a while.
Posted by Senatus 2 years ago
Senatus
It's kind of a shame that this argument is likely going to end in a forfeit. It seems like very few debaters can finish debates on this site.
Posted by cbcullen84 2 years ago
cbcullen84
This debate is shaping up pretty badly
Posted by leopardfire123 2 years ago
leopardfire123
Ah yes.. I remember that quote.
Posted by Capitalism194 2 years ago
Capitalism194
Don't get me started on history? Are you serious? Apparently, you can't be too intelligent if you don't know that those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.
Vote Placed by Josh_b 2 years ago
Josh_b
Senatusleopardfire123Tied
Reasons for voting decision: con agrees that kids need 10 minutes of school a week. In my mind that confirms the resolution. Con also FF's several rounds, probably because he was being forced to go to school.lol
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
Senatusleopardfire123Tied
Reasons for voting decision: F.