beatwave14
TheShadeM

Should Kids Be Raised To Believe Going To College After High School Is The Only Choice?

beatwave14

Con

I don't believe kid's should be raised to believe that college is the only option after high school. Especially if you can't afford it, don't want to get into debt, having to stress over graduating and applying and hopefully receiving scholarships. and studying hard to do great on your SATs or ACTs. There are other opportunities out there. It's not just college. Also there are some huge successful people in this world that never went to college, or possibly dropped out. I'm not sure if everyone's taught that way but that's how I see it. and I'm against the fact of adults and teacher's shoving all this crap about college down my throat!
TheShadeM

Pro

This topic is no doubt close to our hearts because we are students ourselves. While you may be a high school student, I am in university. I have to put my personal stance on this interesting subject aside for the purpose of this debate.

As the opposition, it is my duty to agree with the motion that "Kids Should Be Raised To Believe Going To College After High School Is The Only Choice"

I will begin with rebuttals.

FIRST REBUTTAL:
My opponent did not really have a single argument rather she seemed to have a combination of arguments put forth all at once. She started off by talking about the large debts of college and about the stress involved with paying off these debts, working for grades and probably other student-related issues.

Yes, I definitely agree that there are other opportunities out there, not just college. That's like saying there are other fruits in the world other than oranges. Yes, of course, there are and there will always be options for you to pursue in life pertaining to your studies and your career, probably until you die. You can even choose to be jobless if that is a feasible option for you and you happen to inherit a large amount of wealth.

My point is college is actually one of the easiest and mainstream paths to better job opportunities and a chance for a formal accreditation of your knowledge and skills. Yes, you may be good in many things. But there are very few accreditations to certify your talents other than a formal learning institution. Let's face it. In the world we live in, you need something to prove you can do something. Even if you want to be a debate coach you need to show your experience in debate comps etc. A certificate from college and uni fulfils the purpose of landing a job in a world where they require formal accreditation.

In terms of struggles, as long as you are alive there are always difficulties to face. Students tend to whine too much but are oblivious to the real-life fact that everyone has to work hard in whatever they do in life.

NOTICE THAT I AM NOT DENYING THAT THERE ARE OTHER OPTIONS IN LIFE. I am saying that college is like eating lunch and dinner. You can survive on one meal a day. But you each two anyway to improve your chances of a healthier body. That's the best analogy I can manage.

SECOND REBUTTAL:
My opponent said that there are people out there who are successful without finishing college. Similar to what I have said earlier, this goes without saying. Yes, of course there will always be exceptions to everything. However, generally speaking for most of the population a college accreditation is necessary. There are numerous studies which show that on a general basis people with degrees still earn more than those who don't.

MY ARGUMENT:
I think that Kids need to be raised up to believe going to college is the only choice because it keeps them focused on what they are doing now. When you are young you have your focus all over the place. We tend to want to take on so many things. This does not mean that they will all go to college. They can drop or not go to college if that is their choice. But they should always be taught to take college seriously.

Notice I am not saying kids should just be at home studying. You are free to play sports and pursue side-interests, but the kids should be COACHED and developed at home and at school to put college as their number one priority.

If you truly believe that it's not for you then feel free to stop. THIS DEBATE IS NOT ABOUT WHETHER YOU SHOULD BE FORCED TO GO TO COLLEGE. It's more about the coaching and constant reminder of the importance of doing well in school.
beatwave14

Con

I understand your point of view and how it may be good to raise young people to believe that college is there number one priority so they can stay focused on doing good in school. Also how everyone has to work hard in whatever they do in life and that we live in a world where having a certificate from college can land you a job and show that you can do something.

well, I guess my real argument is why? why is it like that? You obviously know my stance in this, I am in fact a current high school student. And I just believe that it shouldn't be that way if college isn't in fact the only option. And yes, I also agree that its possible they won't go to college, they can choose another path. Like me obviously. But I guess I just dislike the fact that young people are raised that way in particular. Can't kids have that constant reminder of doing well in school without the talk about college being the main priority or only choice? I mean, with me in my position what actually motivates me is to prove all those people wrong that college isn't the only choice to practically make you a successful person or even be considered a successful person or even noticed. The opposite's actually motiving me to prove that you can become successful without the thought of college after high school. And well I got nothing against you because well if you're in a university I'd have to believe that you know what you're doing then and that you're obviously managing if you have enough downtime to debate with people on this site for example. But think of it on the upside yeah, it will benefit them and they'll do good in school to get into college. But there has to be a downside too right? The thought of going to college in general. Possibly frightening. The thought of not making it. Not being good enough. Can add onto everything else an average teen stresses about. And especially if you can't afford it. And hey, Maybe you don't want to apply for scholarships because maybe in your eyes you see scholarships as "Hey want to go to college? Oh, Can't afford it? Then beg for money." like.. what is that? I don't know.

College would be respected in my opinion if it were free for everyone. I mean why not educate people in America? Why wouldn't we want to do that? What's so bad about giving lower ranked people a chance? But that is another argument. I just thought I should speak a little bit about what's on my mind. but I see where you're coming from. I hope you can understand my point of view as well. Maybe I'm just biased or something about this topic.. Maybe somebody ruined the image of college for me and maybe I dislike the way the government runs and how society plays along. Or maybe I'm just a uninformed little teen that has no idea what she's talking about and decides to rant on a debate site. Take it as you please. But thank you for responding to my debate I couldn't have asked for a better opponent. :) makes it interesting in my opinion because I am a younger adolescent and you're more classified an upper level in education. what lets speak freely, I'm curious what are your thoughts on todays society? and would you do anything to change it? if so, what would you change? I wonder if the older generations think the same as mine. although you aren't as much older. My curiosity just kill's to see what's on your mind? But if that's a topic you do not want to discuss with a 17 year old that you don't even know than that's fine.
TheShadeM

Pro

I understand very much what you are saying and I can feel the emotion behind your words.

First of all, thank you for holding and continuing this debate. I also want to say that for a 17-year old you are very opinionated and thoughtful, probably much more so than peers your age who mostly just think about having fun. Give yourself a pat on the back. It's good from a young age to have some thought into how you want to live your life instead of wasting it away.

Well in terms of this debate, you ranted a lot on why things are this way? Honestly, there are probably too many factors on why things are the way they are today. I have no idea why it's like this, but the best we can do is to make the best of the opportunities in front of us.

If you are motivated to prove to others that you can make it, then good for you! Use that as your burning fuel. Just have some kind of ambition, desire and purpose instead of slacking off on everything in life.

Yes, things are scary when you're just stepping into it. That's life. You will always continue to be scared and uncertain, but you make preparations anyway to improve your chances of survival in the future. Life is always moving forward.

I can see that this is turning less and less like a debate and I think you too have decided to make this as a discussion instead of a debate. Whatever it is, I will be happy to consider Round 2 as a break and if you do want to go back to a debate if only for entertainment then I am happy to continue this debate too.

Otherwise, best of luck in your life! I hope you find what you are looking for! :)
beatwave14

Con

beatwave14 forfeited this round.
TheShadeM

Pro

TheShadeM forfeited this round.
beatwave14

Con

beatwave14 forfeited this round.
beatwave14

Con

beatwave14 forfeited this round.
Posted by brittbrat 1 year ago
brittbrat
This is something that we should all inspire to try. There has to be high expectations for our youth,
Posted by beatwave14 1 year ago
beatwave14
No, working hard isn't a bad thing. I apologize if that's how I came off. That was not my intention at all. Plus you can't really get anywhere in life without working for it right? In my opinion though there are a lot of people out there that work hard, possibly harder then a boss of a huge company. And they don't get enough credit for what they do. Or they just get walked all over and that's what every day consists of for them. And with the whole making it seem like "People who *Are successful without college are the hardest workers ever." well.. are they? what do you think? I believe that most of them could be. Why? because they strayed from a path they were taught since they were little and became successful without having to go to college. I mean it's probably easier said that done. I wouldn't say there the hardest workers ever. But they could hard workers in my opinion or they should at least be considered hard workers.
Posted by Jonbonbon 1 year ago
Jonbonbon
You make it sound like working hard is a bad thing. And people who at successful without college were the hardest workers ever.