Goldgoat2
cha-the-politician

Should Kids Play Video Games?

Started: 4/29/2015 Category: Games

Goldgoat2

Pro

When people say "Video games make our kids violent," I simply sigh. There is multiple reasons that video games aren't a benefit, but if you think about it, the pros outweigh the cons. People say that all games are like Halo or Call of Duty and are nothing except for people shooting things, and being mean online. Is this really what games encourage? These two games are prime examples of people simply not knowing what the game is actually about. Games like Call of Duty could be taken as pointing and shooting, but when you get down to it, just like any team activity, people working together are the ones that are the most successful in the game and out of it. There are plenty of games that support this two, which brings us to our other game that we have mentioned by the name of Halo. This game has taught me as a person a lot about teamwork. One vehicle found in this game is called the Warthog. With this vehicle in a "Mindless Shooter" I have learned about teamwork because this vehicle can have three people: a driver, a gunner, and a passenger. Without a strategy, and without teamwork, this vehicle is basically useless, a lone turret or a person frantically trying to ram people with an easy to dodge car, but with teamwork, you can have a driver getting you around the map with a gunner in the back and someone using a weapon of their choice in the passenger seat. How would you take down something like this? Well with another life lesson this game deploys upon its players, strategy. Is the whole enemy team flying around in a plane? Are they hiding in the corner of the map sniping anything in their line of sight? How about hunting as a pack with close range weapons of their choices? The game isn't dragging anything down, if you think your kid sees someone in a game say one bad word and you take the game from them completely because it might be an influence? Is there too much blood? None of these things are influencing your child, thats something you are doing yourself. Someone who sees video games as violent could be correct, they can be violent at times, thats what age recommendations are for. Take a little bit to think, if video games are violent, is real life all that different?
cha-the-politician

Con

I am arguing that kids should not play video games. However, I would like to clarify somethings.

First off, I do not consider simulators gaming. So, driving/racing simulators, flying simulators and natural disaster simulators are not considered video games.

Second, I will consider people below 16 years old kids for the simple reason that 16 years old is when people can think for themselves and hold responsibility for their actions and therefore gain the ability to control themselves.

Third, things that can be learned *comparably easily* without the use of video games are not considered valid. By comparably easily, I mean it won't more time consuming, it won't be more expensive and it won't be as harmful.

I will not rebuttal in the acceptance round and I hope you will repeat your arguments in the first argument round as this is the proper format. However, I do appreciate the fact that you gave me an overlay of your strategies.
Goldgoat2

Pro

Goldgoat2 forfeited this round.
cha-the-politician

Con

cha-the-politician forfeited this round.
Goldgoat2

Pro

Goldgoat2 forfeited this round.
cha-the-politician

Con

Goldgoat2

Pro

Goldgoat2 forfeited this round.
cha-the-politician

Con

Posted by jm07249 1 year ago
jm07249
I have absolutely no problem with kids playing video games. I think that most videos can have a teaching element associated with them. Most kids games like Mario, Sonic and other platform games like that require solving puzzles in order to beat them. These type of games have the ability to develop young kids problem solving skills and force them to think outside the box. The real issue lies in the type of games kids are allowed to play. Platformers and Sports games are fine for children but games like Call of Duty and other shooters and Mature rated games aren't. There is a reason why every game has a rating that indicates audience that it is best suited for. The ESRB is an organization that is in place that reviews the contents of every game then give these games their rating. So when in comes children an video games parents should make sure that their kids are playing games suitable for their age group.
Posted by Arter 1 year ago
Arter
I happen to disagree with that statement. When you say "older members of society" I'm guessing your saying around 60 up. If I am wrong tell me. If this older members of society are 60 then they were probably born about from 1955 and below. In 1955 the comics were like Felix the Cat. And there was TV but it was black and white. Video games were around but it was very basic stuff. What I am trying to say is that for them it is really bad stuff to see their grandchildren playing black ops 2 or whatever game they play. I'm not saying you are wrong but I am willing to bet 50 years later when we are all old or maybe even dead we may look at what ten year olds are playing and just be shocked because of the violence and all the other stuff in it. Their is no what's good and bad it's just based on perspective. Theirs no way to prove that people targeted that kind of stuff in that time. And I can't prove that they are jealous about the modern entertainment media, but 50 years later I'm pretty sure that however society is going to make stuff more violent or inappropriate I won't be too happy to hear that my grandchildren are playing it and just acting as if it's completely normal.
Posted by gabep 1 year ago
gabep
I hate it when older members of society attack the modern entertainment medium. Before video games existed, they targeted comic books and television. In reality, they are probably just jealous that those forms of entertainment did not exist "back in the day".