Sporty_Teenager
BeMyKpop

Should Kids/Teens Be Allowed Autocorrect (In school)?

Sporty_Teenager

Con

I have noticed and first hand seen that teenagers ,now more than ever, cannot spell or use grammar correctly. It saddens me to think and say that teens with all their fancy spell checks have completely forgotten and do not understand the importance of good spelling and grammar!!! Kids and Teens should not be allowed spell check at all , it just stimulates them to not actually try to memorize correct grammar rules and spelling. It is really saddening to see how kids and teens nowadays just cannot spell. We are going downhill. I get that technology is good , maybe for the upper grades when you already KNOW the grammar rules and correct spelling then you may be allowed to use spell check but not until then. We do not enforce correct spelling and grammar as much as we should. It is a key concept that everyone should know and be aware of. Really looking forward to this debate.

Thank you
BeMyKpop

Pro

Hello, I guess I can see from where you're getting at. But I'll try a different perspective. In the end, let us be productive.
I don't know the exact statistics but from my experience, a lot of my friends in school use auto correct and it actually appears helps their grammar. Auto-correct implies that the word is on an electronic device. In which case the person typing would most likely see that red squiggly line underneath a word, such as this "personn". Auto-correct often occurs only on typos. Therefore, it doesn't imply that the person doesn't know how to spell. If the person really did not know how the spell a word, most likely they'll try their best, and them press space to get it auto-correct. As it is corrected, the person would see the correct way of spelling. In which case, it would be the same as searching up the word and correcting it yourself. Auto-correct is just a fast way of looking up how to correctly spell a word.

If the person actually doesn't know how to spell a word, and there was no auto correct, they'll search it up on a dictionary anyways. If they don't care about their spelling, they'll just press enter and leave it incorrect; in which case they'll learn nothing anyways.

Again, auto-correct does help people because it provides speedy correction. A very convenient way of looking up how to correctly spell a word.
Sporty_Teenager

Con

Sporty_Teenager forfeited this round.
BeMyKpop

Pro

BeMyKpop forfeited this round.
Sporty_Teenager

Con

Sporty_Teenager forfeited this round.
BeMyKpop

Pro

BeMyKpop forfeited this round.