Thunderbird
MasterJoseph97

Should LETTER grades be abolished?

Thunderbird

Pro

I say that grades should be removed. I say this because of the stress that it can put on a student. Not only stress but pressure, lowers self-esteem, and can rarely but possibly lead to suicide. As everyone knows letter grades range from A-F/ good to bad. When a student starts to get bad grades, it can really start to hurt them. I don't mean physically but mentally. How? Well, lets say you live far away from your job, the only job you've been able to get, and your close to getting fired because you've been late so many times. This puts a lot of stress on you, the stress of waking up early, eating fast enough, gathering your supplies, and getting there on time. This is what a student is put through. The stress of getting dressed, eating fast enough, doing their homework, studying, getting supplies, and raising their grades. If a student has very strict parents, he or she is most likely to get punished. Now, here is the part where I explain why letter grades should be abolished or removed. Lets say a student's parents are REALLY strict and I mean REALLY. If they were to be punished severely enough, they just might be driven to self-destructive behavior. Another thing that might lead to this dreadful and heartbreaking situation, is bullying. When I say bullying I mean when other students make fun of a specific student constantly without stopping. This can also lead to fatal self-destruction. If we can remove LETTER grades, then we can reduce suicide. Now, I'm not saying that grades in general should be removed, I'm saying that they should not be labeled by letter. For example: replacing F with a kinder meaning like poor or not good. This would make students feel better instead of thinking that that just Failed. When you hear the words Failure, Failed, Failing, or Fail and you know that the words are being directed at you, your brain starts to make you feel let-down or it makes you feel like your not good enough. But, if we replace the letters with words (KIND words), then students will start to feel good about themselves and not feel like they are letting their friends and family down.
MasterJoseph97

Con

Do you like to be told maybe or perhaps? if you get rid of letter grades than if you feel like you are a good student but you don't know just how good. Everything has to be compared to something else for our brains to comprehend it. What if you got a test back and it says failed but it doesn't tell you how many you missed so you can't even decide have much time to sacrifice so you can get your grades up but not to disrupt you other plans. Uncertainty can cause more problems than knowing you aren't doing your best. Also the world follows social darwinism (survival of the fittest) so if people don't become used to be judged then they won't survive in the real world. Also colleges wouldn't be able to offer scholarships if they didn't know who could benefit their school.
Thunderbird

Pro

Thunderbird forfeited this round.
MasterJoseph97

Con

MasterJoseph97 forfeited this round.
Thunderbird

Pro

Thunderbird forfeited this round.
MasterJoseph97

Con

MasterJoseph97 forfeited this round.
Thunderbird

Pro

Thunderbird forfeited this round.
MasterJoseph97

Con

MasterJoseph97 forfeited this round.
Thunderbird

Pro

Thunderbird forfeited this round.
MasterJoseph97

Con

MasterJoseph97 forfeited this round.
Posted by Thunderbird 2 years ago
Thunderbird
kikiming888. What about students who have mental issues. I don't mean autism I mean other mental issues. For example: some students may have a hard time understanding things or there might be something in their brain that prevents them from changing their mindset, also some students might just have really low self-esteem witch can also prevent them from seeing the truth. When a student's self-esteem is low enough, they might not listen to reason and go one believing that they are not doing good enough and then they will start to not care and continue to get bad grades.
Posted by kikiming888 2 years ago
kikiming888
I think having grades are fine to gauge a student's performance. If the students reacts to his grades perhaps they should work harder and change their mindset towards this matter.
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
The resolution should probably be changed to "Should LETTER Grades be renamed?"

Abolishing would be removing the system, not merely changing the name they see on a report.
Posted by Duncan 2 years ago
Duncan
In Ireland at least , we use percentages, but it's equivalent to letter grades; 80% would be a B+. It has the same effect as letter grades, and in university, we use a 1.1, 2.1, 2.2 system. Seems you're opposed to grades in general.
Posted by 21MolonLabe 2 years ago
21MolonLabe
The exact same thing could be said for a percentage grade or standards-based grading.
Posted by CommunistDog 2 years ago
CommunistDog
On the contrary, I like letter grades :3