Should Marching Band be Considered a Sport

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Started: 10/27/2014 Category: Sports

Should Marching Band be Considered a Sport?

Okay so to start I believe that marching band should be considered a sport. But I want one thing to be clear before we go any further. I believe that there is a difference between show bands and competing bands. The argument that I will be proposing is that competition bands are part of a sport not show bands. They both have their reasons for why they should be considered a sport, but I would like to make this about competing bands. So first off the definition of sport.

1.An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment:

So when we look at this definition a from the oxford dictionary, a sport involves physical exertion and skill.

When you perform in a marching band you are physically exerting yourself by marching and playing an instrument. Let"s not forget mentally exerting yourself by memorizing your music and sets then putting the two together and playing and moving as a group to keep a form.

That brings me to my next point. That band is a sport because you have your band or "team" competing against other bands for the enjoyment of the people in the stands or fans. Just like fans in the stands for a game of football, baseball, basketball, etc. They are there to watch bands perform/compete just like every other sport.

I look forward to a good debate

first marching is a practice not a sport

second playing a instrument is a skill a hard skill to master

Okay first off what do you mean by practice. If you mean that it doesn't take real talent to march you are partly correct. But the type of marching that we are talking about takes talent to do, not just practice. Lets not forget that there are two types of bands. A show band and a competing band.

The type of band you might be thinking about is a show band. These bands really only focus on music and "marching".

Then there are competing bands. These are the type of bands that you see when you think of DCI (Drum Corps Internationals) or bands that go to band competitions. These bands focus on the real small thing like foot size and step style. Just like you would practice in a sport practice such as basket ball or foot ball you work on feet movement you work on that in band.

typo forfeited this round.

Flutter_on5414 forfeited this round.

typo forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Max.Wallace 1 year ago
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited, and also his argument was much better then Con.