SamBuck
IronCurx

Should Marijuana Be Legalized In America?

IronCurx

SamBuck

Pro

Hi I'm Sam Buck, and today I want to debate whether or not marijuana should be legalized in our nation. Please keep in mind that we will not be arguing about all drugs, but specifically marijuana. I believe more harmful and intense drugs are still in question, but I am without any doubts in support of marijuana's existence in America. Please no arguments in the first round, and thank you for joining me. :)
IronCurx

Con

I accept this debate and look forward to debating on marijuana's legalization in America.
SamBuck

Pro

SamBuck forfeited this round.
IronCurx

Con

The title of the debate states "should marijuana be legalized in America" I will assume that BOP is evenly distributed, and will being with my arguments.

Argument 1: Marijuana is extremely addictive for people
Marijuana should not be legalized due to the fact that it is extremely addictive to many. According to Dr. Drew, a doctor that has been working with addicts for decades states that: "It would be malpractice to say that cannabis isn't addictive. Anybody who's experienced it, actually been addicted to it, knows how profound that addiction is.... The difficult thing about marijuana addiction is some people, even though they're addicted can do fine with it for many many years before they start to have difficultly, but eventually the high starts wearing off, people start smoking a lot more to try to get that high back and that's when they descend into difficulties." [1]. Statistics show that 4.3 million persons in America have marijuana dependence or abuse. [2] Just imagine how much that number would increase when marijuana becomes legal.

Argument 2: Marijuana is terrible for a person"s physical health
To make matters worse Marijuana has an extremely negative impact on your physical health. A recent study at Northwestern University shows that marijuana users have poor memory, irregular brain structure and may lead to schizophrenia [3]. Legalizing marijuana will exposes hundreds to children to this harmful addictive drug, and considering the amount of adverse effects it poses and the addictively of it, it"s legalisation is definitely out of the question.

Argument 3: Legalising Marijuana will enable hundreds of teenagers to have access to it
Although the government may impose strict regulation on the trafficking of marijuana, more and more teenagers and children than ever will be able to get access to it, how? Through the process of over the counter drugs, we know that over the counter drugs such as painkiller causes thousands of deaths. According to CDC in 2008 there were over 14,800 death related to prescription painkiller deaths and for every one death there are 130 people who abuse the drug and 825 using it for nonmedical purposes, and the number are set to triple in the next few years. [4] Imagine how much teenagers would have access to it, and how many would become addicted to it.

[1] http://www.celebstoner.com...
[2] http://www.samhsa.gov...
[3] http://edition.cnn.com...
[4] http://www.cdc.gov...
SamBuck

Pro

SamBuck forfeited this round.
IronCurx

Con

As Pro forfeited this round I have nothing to say. Please keep this in mind when you vote.
SamBuck

Pro

SamBuck forfeited this round.
IronCurx

Con

Marijuana should not be legalized. Vote Con.
SamBuck

Pro

SamBuck forfeited this round.
IronCurx

Con

Pro forfeited all his arguments, which is unacceptable conduct. Addition Pro did not provide any arguments or sources. Because of this I urge you to vote Con.
Posted by farthead 3 years ago
farthead
Hello. I'm"fathead. Ha.
Would you mind briefly explaining why you would support the legalization of marijuana? I am not really interested in debating this issue since I am still in the process of forming my own opinion, but I am curious as to why you support it.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
SamBuckIronCurxTied
Reasons for voting decision: How unfortunate that Pro chose to waste Con's time. Conduct for the forfeits, arguments for the unrebutted case, sources because Con actually had some, while Pro presented nothing but the opening statement of resolution.