Go_Halos
rougeagent21

Should Marijuana Be Legalized for Medicinal Use

Go_Halos

Pro

I find it absurd to think that there are people in the world who think that marijuana has no medicinal benefits to patience with such diseases as Cancer, Glaucoma, Multiple Sclerosis, and Cerebral Palsy.
I feel strongly that the use of cannabis should not only be legalized but encouraged in cases where it could actually help. My uncle was diagnosed with MS 9 years ago and slowly his body started to deteriorate from the inside. He became unstable in his walking ability and the pain from the deterioration caused him to have extreme difficulty sleeping. Once he was prescribed Marijuana he called my father in tears of happiness, for the medicine had allowed him not only to walk with complete balance, but even to jog. Upon use of his medical Cannabis in the evenings he was able to sleep without any problems. Now as the disease has progressed his walking has become even more unbalanced but there is no denying that the Marijuana still helps him manage the searing pain from the deterioration of his nerves. Cannabis still allows my uncle to sleep through the night without having to worry about waking in the middle of the night in terrible and excruciating pain. This herb has made the life of a terminally ill person that much easier, and how dare anyone deny him this right.

It is ludicrous to think that the federal government wishes not only to deny him the right to a less painful way of life but they also wish to arrest him and others in similar positions for simply wishing to live as much of a pain free life as possible.
rougeagent21

Con

First of all let me say that I debate here with all respect to your uncle, and that in no way am I "bashing" him. Thank you.

It has been known for some time that the effects of marijuana are extremely detrimental. Some of these devastating effects are heart attacks, strokes, as well as abnormalities in the amygdala and hippocampus regions of the brain. This causes severe mental disabilities. With so many other anesthetics out there, that have NO detrimental side effects such as listed, I see it absurd for people to use it. For example: Your uncle could be using many other drugs that DO NOT produce harmful side effects. He could have ALL the liberties that he has when he uses marijuana, but WITHOUT the serious effects. Because there are no benefits of marijuana that cannot be achieved by other drugs, (THAT ARE NOT DETRIMENTAL) I see no reason for it to be legalized. It hurts more than helps, and SHOULD be banned. "How dare" anyone allow US citizens to be inhibited by this drug. For all the reasons listed above, I stand in absolute negation of the resolution. Thank you.
Go_Halos

Pro

First I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

Now I have personally never heard of a case where a patient who has partaken in the smoking of Marijuana having a stroke or heart attack, but for the sake of argument I will just assume that these events are a possibility. Many cancer medicines are ineffective in relieving the pain brought on by the disease. Marijuana offers something that is known to work in this area. While medication that are prescribed to cancer patience are not only often ineffective they also have side effects that can be detrimental. For example opioids are often prescribed to patience with sever pain brought on by cancer, the side effects of this type of medication are constipation, trouble sleeping, nausea, vomiting, and respiratory depression. This commonly used medication for cancer can actually make a person suffocate, while also causing severe discomfort to the patient. While Marijuana offers a much safer alternative that is often times more effective in relieving pain, or building an appetite, or sleeping.

I challenge my opponent to back up his following statement:"It has been known for some time that the effects of marijuana are extremely detrimental. Some of these devastating effects are heart attacks, strokes, as well as abnormalities in the amygdala and hippocampus regions of the brain. This causes severe mental disabilities. With so many other anesthetics out there, that have NO detrimental side effects such as listed,..." I ask him to find one case where smoking Marijuana has induced a heart attack, stroke or any abnormalities in the amygdala and hippocampus regions of the brain. I also challenge him to find an anesthetic for a terminally ill patient that has NO detrimental side effects.
rougeagent21

Con

As a roadmap, I will first answer both of my opponent's challenges, and then move on to the problems with his case.
So without further adu:
"Smoking marijuana increases the body's production of a protein that raises levels of blood fats associated with heart attack and stroke, government researchers report. The finding helps explain the increased risk of such cardiovascular problems found in previous studies of marijuana", said Dr. Jean Lud Cadet, chief of the Molecular Neuropsychiatry Research Branch of the National Institute of Drug Abuse. He is lead author of the report.

This and many other related articles can be found on health.usnews.com.

The following link contains an article about the stroke of Zachariah after his marijuana use:
http://stroke.ahajournals.org...

Both of these answer my opponents first challenge. Now to move on to his second.
First, I cannot provide a specific medication without knowing the exact sickness. However, I will provide some examples for some different illnesses. Glucosamine Chondroitin has been known to treat pain EFFECTIVELY with NO side effects. Celadrin – or cetyl myristoleate, is another proven medication. Having responded to ALL of my opponent's challenges, completely defended my own case, I will now attack his.

My opponent challenged me to provide a medication with no side effects. I have done this. He does not, however, show that marijuana has no side effects. I have proven that it does. (See Zachariah incident) Because I have provided for a SAFE alternative, that accomplishes the same benefits of marijuana, I can see no reason to legalize it. It permanently damages the body, and people's lives are never the same. I now have a challenge for my opponent. What are the benefits of marijuana that cannot be achieved with any safe alternative? Unless my opponent can answer this, there is no reason to vote affirmative. Because marijuana accomplishes nothing that cannot be achieved by my safe alternatives, I must negate.
Go_Halos

Pro

Go_Halos forfeited this round.
rougeagent21

Con

As my opponent forfeited, I urge you to vote negative. Thank you.
Posted by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
Hm, I guess not. I'm ready when you are.
Posted by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
So did you actually want to debate that again? Just challenge me!
Posted by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
There are tons more out there for terminal patients. I just wasn't sure of the specific sickness my opponent was referring to.
Posted by NItEMArE129 7 years ago
NItEMArE129
Both of those drugs you considered were for treatment of arthritis. Arthritis is chronic (I'm not sure if there's an acute version) but I don't think it can be classified as terminal. And I would like to hope that there are drugs out there with less side effects than marijuana for terminal patients. But until there is a drug for either each specific condition or one that engulfs them all, I still think we should use the most effective drug at the moment. Seriously though, if you prove me wrong, I'll be happy because marijuana is still dangerous. If there is a better drug, then I think that marijuana should at least be subscribed less and less to terminal patients.
Posted by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
"but it just goes against how i was brought up"
-well thats not a convincing argument :P

"i mean, there's got to be a better way!"
-ya there is. why do we have to look to marijuana?
Posted by TFranklin62 7 years ago
TFranklin62
ya, i was being unreasonable and rash, sorry about that, but it just goes against how i was brought up, i mean, there's got to be a better way!
Posted by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
But that doesn't have to be true? Did you look up any of the painkillers I provided in my case?
Posted by NItEMArE129 7 years ago
NItEMArE129
Well, the fact is that there's no painkiller out there that can do that without any side effects. Until there is, what are we gonna do? Just say, sorry, it's marijuana? Anything that powerful has to have side effects; the stronger the medicine, the stronger the side effects.
Posted by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
and sure, if you want we can do all three rounds. you make the topic again and we'll just copy-paste all of our previous arguments, and then debate round three?
Posted by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
i agree to some extent. we do need to help them, and we can without marijuana. why have side effects (even if you will die soon) when you can achieve pain-free living without them?
Vote Placed by resolutionsmasher 7 years ago
resolutionsmasher
Go_Halosrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by npeereboom 7 years ago
npeereboom
Go_Halosrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by Epicism 7 years ago
Epicism
Go_Halosrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by TFranklin62 7 years ago
TFranklin62
Go_Halosrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by Go_Halos 7 years ago
Go_Halos
Go_Halosrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by regperez 7 years ago
regperez
Go_Halosrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by Riley09 7 years ago
Riley09
Go_Halosrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
Go_Halosrougeagent21Tied