EzequielCruz
ChloeMcIverFloyd

Should Marijuana Be Legalized?

EzequielCruz

Pro

Marijuana (cannabis) is the most widely used illegal drug in many developed countries.1 Medical studies have shown that the active ingredient in marijuana, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), might provide some medical benefits in some patients. Under the impression that these benefits were substantial, voters in California and Arizona approved initiatives allowing the use of medical marijuana by patients under certain circumstances.

The fact that the use of Cannabis as a medical substance is even thought of shows that the plant could serve as an analgestic and such, while it's drawbacks are limited, none, in fact.
Studies have shown that cannabis can relieve muscle pain and spasticity in patients suffering from multiple sclerosis and can control tremors in multiple sclerosis animal models.
Because of it's medical uses, Cannabis should be legalized.

Admittedly, not all people are in favor of the use of cannabis. And it's understandable, as many do not believe in the "benefits" of the substance; let alone that it should be legalized. "Early on, THC had been shown to be effective for some patients who suffered nausea from cancer chemotherapy treatments. However, the narrow window between the anti-emetic dose and that which caused unwanted psychic effects made THC difficult to use.3 In some studies, negative side effects occurred in up to 81% of patients.", as stated by an article on the matter present in http://www.godandscience.org..., that alone lets know that Cannabis does have some drawbacks, but then again, what prescripted "drug" does not?

However, another benefit of Cannabis is being an effective body weight maintainer, as many of the everyday users of the plant may be aware of. "The Munchies", as it is called, helps those suffering from debilitating diseases, such as AIDS-related wasting syndrome, THC has been shown to be effective in maintaining body weight at a constant rate.
Such is one of the most employed uses of the medical strain of cannabis.

Also, another topic of interest that almost relates to this one but does not receive the attention it should is the fact that while alcohol is proven to have almost no beneficial effects on the human body, instead having serious side-effects when compared to marijuana's. Still, alcohol is legal today, while marijuana is not. "Alcohol's addictive qualities are well-documented. Approximately 17.6 million people, or one in every 12 adults, suffer from alcohol abuse or dependence, according to the NIAAA. Alcoholics in withdrawal can suffer from anxiety and depression, headaches, insomnia, nausea, fever and even seizures. ", as stated by a discemination of an ongoing debate-- alcohol versus marijuana. The article is based at http://www.cnn.com....

Nevertheless, it's up to the people to decide whether or not pot will be legalized or not; but it should be noted that if cannabis is illegal, so should the dangerous and hazzardous alcohol. Mind that the medical use of cannabis far outshine its side-effects. Cannabis should be legalized.
ChloeMcIverFloyd

Con

I do not think that marijuana should be legalized. In my first argument I will explain why I think that marijuana should not be legalized, I will also be making some rebuttals. During my rebuttals I will be using quotes from my opponent’s first argument. Now I will begin making my first argument.

My First Argument On Why Marijuana Should Not Be Legalized

I do not think that marijuana should be legalized, because I did an online search for the effects of marijuana, here is a link to the website I found- http://www.caron.org....

Effects of Marijuana

Short Term

-impaired coordination

-skewed sensory

-time perception

-difficulty with thinking

-concentrating and problem solving

-shortened attention span and distractibility

-impaired learning and memory

-decreased alertness

-euphoria

-can lead to disturbed thoughts

-can worsen psychotic symptoms in schizophrenics

Long-term

-lowered motivation

-anxiety

-panic attacks

-respiratory illnesses

-increased heart rate

-risk of heart attack

Withdrawals

-irritability

-sleeplessness

-anxiety

-impaired appetite

-aggression

For my first rebuttal, I will be using a quote from my opponent's first argument. EzequielCruz said, “However, another benefit of Cannabis is being an effective body weight maintainer, as many of the everyday users of the plant may be aware of. "The Munchies", as it is called, helps those suffering from debilitating diseases, such as AIDS-related wasting syndrome, THC has been shown to be effective in maintaining body weight at a constant rate.” Look at the list of bad effects marijuana has on a person, then think, “Is maintaining my body weight by using a drug that has so many bad after effects really worth it? Is smoking this drug doing more harm to me than it is doing good?” I believe that it is doing more harm than good. Why would maintaining your body weight even be worth it if you were overweight before you started smoking marijuana, you would still be at risk of a heart attack. Yes, I know that being at risk of a heart attack because of smoking marijuana is a long-term effect. In order to maintain your bodyweight, you would have to smoke marijuana for a while. So that means you would most likely suffer from all of the other long-term effects too.

For my second rebuttal , I will be using another quote from my opponent’s first argument. EzequielCruz said, “Also, another topic of interest that almost relates to this one but does not receive the attention it should is the fact that while alcohol is proven to have almost no beneficial effects on the human body, instead having serious side-effects when compared to marijuana's. Still, alcohol is legal today, while marijuana is not.“ I am not going to go into much detail on this, because it is not relevant in this debate. But, most of the effects of alcohol are just health problems that go from high blood pressure to five different cancers. Here is a link to a website that goes more into detail on this topic- http://www.niaaa.nih.gov.... I don’t think that you can really say that smoking marijuana is better for your overall health than drinking too much. Neither of these things are good for your health. I do think that alcohol should have a restriction on it, because it is not good for anyones health ever. I read on the website that drinking a lot on a single occasion slows your body's immune system, even 24 hours after getting drunk. So it is not safe to drink too much, even on only one occasion.

Now for my the last part of my argument I will be using a quote from the first website I gave a link to. “The main active chemical in marijuana is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which moves quickly through the bloodstream and to the brain, causing mild hallucinogenic effects.” Think about this, do you really want to live in a world filled with people whose minds are off in some weird world where they see flying monkeys and little people dancing around in the sky? Personally I don’t want to be around people who are seeing crazy things, I think that it is very unsafe to be interacting with people who are hallucinating. The person who is hallucinating could freak out and attack someone because they were seeing something attacking when there wasn’t. It is overall very unsafe for people to smoke marijuana ever, it is unsafe in many ways. In my next argument I will be discussing this and other things further. I am looking forward to reading my opponents next argument. Until then EzequielCruz.

EzequielCruz

Pro

EzequielCruz forfeited this round.
ChloeMcIverFloyd

Con

It seems that my opponent has forfeited round two, I am not sure why so I am not going to dwell on it. I don’t have much to work with as far as rebuttals go, so I will just summarize what I said in my previous argument.

Basically marijuana has many bad side-effects such as,impaired coordination, skewed sensory, time perception, difficulty with thinking, concentrating and problem solving, shortened attention span and distractibility, impaired learning and memory, decreased alertness, euphoria, can lead to disturbed thoughts, can worsen psychotic symptoms in schizophrenics, lowered motivation, anxiety, panic attacks, respiratory illnesses, increased heart rate, and risk of heart attack. Also the main active chemical in marijuana is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), this chemical has a hallucinogenic effect on the brain. So overall marijuana is unsafe, so it would be ludicrous to legalize it’s use.
EzequielCruz

Pro

EzequielCruz forfeited this round.
ChloeMcIverFloyd

Con

It is unfortunate that my opponent has forfeited the last round of this debate, because I was looking forward to this debate. But I am sure that my opponent had a good reason for forfeiting.

I will make my last argument now.

My Closing Argument

Marijuana has many bad side effects, so why would you want to legalize it? It is an unsafe and destructive drug. This is the list of bad side effects of marijuana I gave in my first and second arguments.

Short Term

-impaired coordination
-skewed sensory
-time perception
-difficulty with thinking
-concentrating and problem solving
-impaired learning and memory
-decreased alertness
-euphoria
-can lead to disturbed thoughts

Long-term

-lowered motivation
-anxiety
-panic attacks
-respiratory illnesses
-increased heart rate
-risk of heart attack

Withdrawals

-irritability
-sleeplessness
-anxiety
-impaired appetite
-aggression

So why should something that has side effects like this be legalized? It is ludicrous to want this to be legalized. In my opinion, the short and long term side effects are really bad, then you get to the side effects of the withdrawals. So when you because dependant on something, and for some reason can’t have it or use it, you go through withdrawals. Now for example, lets say there is a man who smokes marijuana because is back hurts, now he has been doing this for a few years maybe even longer. By now he is addicted to it, so that means he is so dependent on this drug that because he can’t use it anymore, he goes through withdrawals. Okay, now he has messed up his memory, he is at a higher risk of heart attack, and ontop of it all he suffers from the withdrawal symptoms for a while. When that is over, he is left not being able to remember much of the rest of his life, he is at a higher risk of heart attack, and his back still hurts. This sounds awful right? So why should anyone go through that sort of thing? Why should people have the chance to become addicted to such a destructive drug?

Thank you for reading my arguments.
Posted by SirClare 2 years ago
SirClare
From your first round argument it seems that you are only arguing that marijuana has medical benifits, so is your stance that it should be legalized for just medical use or also for recreational use?