oreozzzzz
jamccartney

Should Marijuana be Legal?

jamccartney

oreozzzzz

Pro

Marijuana should be legal.
jamccartney

Con

I have accepted this debate and shall be taking the stance of 'Marijuana should not be legal' while my opponent will be taking the stance of 'Marijuana should be legal'.

Because Pro has not stated any guidelines for his debate, I feel obligated to lay out a few rules in order to keep this debate orderly and civilized. They are as follows:

1. Proper grammar and spelling should be used.
2. If any sources are used, they must be properly cited.

I believe those are all the rules I wish to state. Thank you for allowing me to accept and I look forward to the outcome of this debate.
oreozzzzz

Pro

according to a little background research and previous knowledge of the topic,marijuana has no records of people overdosing and/or dying from the use of marijuana.its not as harmful as other things such as cigarettes and alcohol.
jamccartney

Con

I would like to thank Pro for responding so quickly and giving me an opportunity to write my argument against the legalization of recreational marijuana, as I assume that is what we are talking about here.

Evidently, I will begin by asserting the facts that explain why I believe it should not be legalized.

Marijuana is comparable to tobacco, which we all know has downsides.[1] Studies have shows that marijuana smokers are exposed to more smoke than cigarette smokers. This exposes them to an larger amount of carbon dioxide and tar, which increases the risks of a range of health problems including respiratory tract infections, bronchitis and lung cancer.[1] Not only that, according to drugfree.org, "{s}moking a single marijuana joint is equivalent to smoking 2.5 to 5 cigarettes in terms of damage to the lungs, largely due to differences in how pot and cigarette users smoke."[2]
"The Guardian {also} reported July 31 that researchers at the Medical Research Institute of New Zealand found that the deep drags taken by marijuana users, along with their penchant for holding smoke in before exhaling, can cause problems like obstructed airways and hyperinflation of the lungs. The lack of filters on marijuana joints also contributes to lung problems."[2]

As this is only round two, I shall await round three to give the rest of my reasoning to not legalizing recreational marijuana. I look forward to seeing your reasoning and arguments for why you believe recreational marijuana should be made legal.

[1]http://learnaboutmarijuanawa.org...
[2]http://www.drugfree.org...
oreozzzzz

Pro

if marijuana was legalized it would be taxed.that would reduce the amount of drug dealers on the streets.when people buy marijuana from drug dealers they have no clue whats inside of it.it may be laced with a more powerful and harmful drug.this causes issues.medical marijuana is already legal.obviously it helps us humans in a way that can benefit peoples lives.many people use(or have used) marijuana. Snoop Lion stated "It makes me feel the way I need to feel.",Oliver Stone stated "I went to Vietnam, and I was there for a long time. [Using marijuana] made the difference between staying human or, as Michael Douglas said, becoming a beast.",and Johnny Depp stated "I'm not a great pothead or anything like that" but weed is much, much less dangerous than alcohol."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Marijuana makes people feel good or even better about themselves.Why take that away from them?
jamccartney

Con

Thank you for an informative argument..

I will now state my arguments against yours.

if marijuana was legalized it would be taxed.that would reduce the amount of drug dealers on the streets.when people buy marijuana from drug dealers they have no clue whats inside of it.

Marijuana happens to be illegal. They should not be buying it anyway.

Snoop Lion stated "It makes me feel the way I need to feel.",Oliver Stone stated "I went to Vietnam, and I was there for a long time. [Using marijuana] made the difference...

These are people's opinions, not factual evidence. When stating my arguments in round 2, I used factual scientific research and evidence. Instead of using the stories of people who used or uses drugs, use real evidence, such as this:

According to drugabuse.gov, "{a}s THC enters the brain, it causes the user to feel euphoric"or high"by acting on the brain's reward system, which is made up of regions that govern the response to pleasurable things like sex and chocolate, as well as to most drugs of abuse."[1]

It is a common misconception that marijuana does not harm the brain. Here is a photograph to prove it:

http://www.thomashedlund.com...

This photograph is courtesy of www.thomashedlund.com.[2]
As you can see in the picture, the brain becomes less active, which can be highly dangerous. When a brain is not as active as it should be, the individual becomes disoriented and unable to make complex decisions.

As it seems I have stated all the arguments needed to prove my point. I would like to thank Pro for a quick but interesting debate. I very much hope all the voters vote Con.

[1]http://www.drugabuse.gov...
[2]http://www.thomashedlund.com...
Posted by oreozzzzz 2 years ago
oreozzzzz
changed it.sorry about that.
Posted by jamccartney 2 years ago
jamccartney
I would like to accept this. Unfortunately, I do not "match the Instigator's age, rank or number of debates completed criteria".
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
oreozzzzzjamccartneyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made several S&G errors. Con made better arguments and his sources were used to establish facts about Marijuana instead of other people's opinions.
Vote Placed by dukej11 2 years ago
dukej11
oreozzzzzjamccartneyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Marijuana dulls the brain and in the long run considerably deteriorates it....
Vote Placed by WilliamsP 2 years ago
WilliamsP
oreozzzzzjamccartneyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had a better debate format and he used much more reliable sources. I believe Con had better conduct and certainly had better grammar. Pro wrote nearly everything lowercase and she did not use the best grammar. Lastly, Con's arguments are much better structured and they are more convincing.