noateiblum
ellaashley

Should Marijuana be Legalized Countrywide?

noateiblum

Pro

As many of us well know, alcohol is legal in the US at the age of 21, and marijuana is not. But did you know that alcohol actually can be worse for your body than marijuana? Many people disagree on the controversial issue of whether marijuana should be legal, but I believe that marijuana should be legalized federally for may reasons. I believe that it should be legalized because there is ample evidence proving that marijuana is actually better for your body than alcohol. There is evidence to prove that the substances in alcohol can damage your liver, breast, esophagus, pancreas and mouth, while marijuana is known to have healing substances. In addition, alcohol is actually more dangerous in the US with 88,000 deaths yearly while marijuana has directly killed 0. This shows that while people are scared of the effects that marijuana has on the body, alcohol is worse and leads to more death yearly. I concede that many Americans worry that marijuana is a gateway drug, I have found evidence that proves those studies are influenced by government funding and local politics, as said in the article Marijuana is Not, Repeat Not, a Gateway Drug by newsweek: "Meanwhile, in the United States, addiction researchers and addiction treatment professionals are heavily invested in the weakly supported claim that marijuana is a gateway to hard drugs. For decades, scientists who study addiction have received millions of dollars in government and pharmaceutical funding to perpetuate the gateway hypothesis." This leads me to believe that marijuana is not, in fact, a gateway drug and the myth is perpetuated by the government so marijuana addiction programs can stay afloat. If these are the facts, why is alcohol legalized and marijuana still is not? In light of these facts, it is hard to argue that marijuana still shouldn"t be legal countrywide.
ellaashley

Con

While my opponent makes some good points, her information is not reliable. Even if marijuana is not scientifically more dangerous than alcohol, marijuana is indeed a gateway drug (a habit-forming drug). When one uses marijuana, the consumer obtains a high, dopamine is released. If the consumer continually uses marijuana, they will develop a tolerance, which can lead to consumers using different and more dangerous drugs to get the same high. 90% of cocaine users began with marijuana and roughly 8,000 people die from cocaine overdoses a year. Lung cancer is also a direct effect of marijuana use, and around 156,000 die a year from it. A scientific study reveals that one joint of marijuana does the same damage as five cigarettes. This reveals how even if marijuana itself is not an addicting drug, it leads to addicting and dangerous ones that if overdosed, can be fatal. One cannot just say marijuana is safe and healthy when they don"t look at the direct effects it has.
noateiblum

Pro

My opponent continues to argue that marijuana is, in fact, a gateway drug. However, I have found information from reliable sources arguing that it is not. In an article from the National Institute on Drug Abuse, they state that "People who are more vulnerable to drug-taking are simply more likely to start with readily available substances such as marijuana, tobacco, or alcohol, and their subsequent social interactions with others who use drugs increases their chances of trying other drugs." This quote disproves my opponent"s point that it is marijuana is the gateway drug, instead of other social stimulators. In addition, my opponent"s information about cocaine is not reliable, as proved in a NewsWeek article: "the authors admit to limitations in their study (about marijuana usage leading to cocaine usage): that they excluded younger cocaine users from the analysis, as well as older cocaine users who had never used marijuana. This means that those cases that might provide evidence of no gateway effect were left out of the analysis." This bit of information proves that even the authors of the study my opponent used were aware of the imbalances in the data. With all this information, why is it still quoted time and time again that Marijuana is so much worse than it really is? I believe that marijuana should be legalized federally for adults over the age of 21.
ellaashley

Con

While my opponent may be correct when she says that all people who use marijuana may not go on to use other types of drugs, she is not correct when she claims that marijuana is not a gateway drug and that it is harmless. It is scientifically proven that continued use of marijuana leads to a reliance and increased tolerance of the drug, and if a person is looking to obtain a high, they will need to use more or try another drug. Daniel A. Hussar, PhD explains that, "tolerance is a person"s diminished response to a drug, which occurs when the drug is used repeatedly and the body adapts to the continued presence of the drug." This shows how just like caffeine and alcohol, people who use marijuana regularly will become reliant on it. My opponent can claim that every person"s chance of trying other drugs after they use marijuana is random, but she is blatantly ignoring the fact that scientifically one will develop a tolerance, which will lead to the use of more drugs. My opponent"s claim that marijuana is not addictive may be correct, but the user becomes reliant on the drug as their only way to produce dopamine. Marijuana needs to be illegal because the legalization would lead to people using it casually and ignoring the long term, irreversible, and harmful effects.
Posted by Sovcody2 1 year ago
Sovcody2
And on that holy day, not a single source was shared.