mhop0923
ms_duckett

Should Marijuana be legal?

mhop0923

Pro

The prohibition of Marijuana has been an utter failure. Billions of dollars have been wasted cracking down on Marijuana production, dealers, and users. Despite massive efforts to get rid of marijuana, it still is the most commonly used drug in the united states. The berlin wall of Marijuana prohibition is crumbling, States are defying federal law by taking matters in the their own hands. Recently washington state and colorado legalized marijuana for recreational use, the first laws in history creating a retail marketplace for Marijuana. The three main affects of smoking marijuana are as follows: Happy, hungry, and sleepy. Should you be arrested for being happy, hungry, or sleepy. No. Heavy Marijuana use can make you unmotivated. should you be arrested for being unmotivated? No. Smoking Marijuana may damage your lungs, so should you be arrested for having bad lungs? No. The lists goes on and on.
ms_duckett

Con

First of all, thank you to my opponent for posting this question. Secondly, I ask those of you judging to vote based solely on the information provided and not on personal preference.

While my opponent may be correct in that the consumption of marijuana is most commonly used in the United States today, it goes unmentioned that youth who smoke marijuana are 85 times more likely to to use cocaine than those who do not, and 60% of people who smoke marijuana before the age of 15 go on to use cocaine as well (according to drugfreeworld.org). The truth of the matter is not that Marijuana has negative effects, but that it is a gateway to other, harder, and more harmful drugs. Even if not chosen by choice, dealers have been known to lace marijuana with other drugs such as PCP, or 'shrooms. Studies show that those likely to choose Marijuana are likely to be willing to try other drugs, because they are desensitized to the effects.

My opponent also doesn't acknowledge that there have been some serious negative mental side effects to prolonged marijuana smoking in college students, meaning 18 and above, which is the age group to which marijuana is legal in the states listed in my opponent's speech. "A study of 129 college students found that, among those who smoked the drug at least twenty-seven of the thirty days before being surveyed, critical skills related to attention, memory and learning were seriously diminished. A study of postal workers found that employees who tested positive for marijuana had 55% more accidents, 85% more injuries and a 75% increase in being absent from work." (According to drugfreeworld.org) Marijuana not only poses a threat to the mind, but to society as well. Should you be arrested for being unmotivated? Absolutely not. As a college student, I am often unmotivated. But, should you be penalized for not contributing to society, and then expecting society to contribute to you? Absolutely. It's a simple syllogism used worldwide, you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours; don't expect to be helped if you don't want to help, or help yourself for that matter.

My opponent also is incorrect in naming the main effects of smoking marijuana, they include sensory distortion, panic, anxiety, poor coordination of movement, lowered reaction time, increased heartbeat, and risk of heart attack. The long-term effects include reduced resistance to common illnesses (colds, bronchitis, etc.), suppression of the immune system, growth disorders, increase of abnormally structured cells in the body, reduction of male sex hormones, rapid destruction of lung fibers and lesions (injuries) to the brain could be permanent, reduced sexual capacity, study difficulties: reduced ability to learn and retain information, apathy, drowsiness, lack of motivation, personality and mood changes, and an inability to understand things clearly. (from drugfreeworld.org) These effects, while not fatal, are effects that I'm sure no one wants to come across. I don't know about my opponent, but I'd rather not reduce my sexual capacity.

Finally, my opponent mentions that states have rebelled, but need I remind that the last time rebellion was encouraged among the states, there was a civil war. Not to say there will be a marijuana war, but it is an extreme example. Needless to say, despite state laws, the consumption of cannabis is still a felony, as well as the sale, and distribution. Legalizing will not change the number of teens who consume marijuana, just as it has not changed teens who smoke cigarettes. We must realize the truth, that it is just not right to legalize this gateway drug. Thank you.
mhop0923

Pro

To save some time i'll just win the debate right now.
Deaths caused by
Tobacco: 400,000 annually
alcohol: 100,000
Legal pharmaceuticals: 20,000
Caffeine: 2,000
Aspirin: 500
Peanut allergy deaths: 100
Marijuana overdoses: 0

Its easy to see through the hypocrisy when you know to truth.
ms_duckett

Con

ms_duckett forfeited this round.
mhop0923

Pro

mhop0923 forfeited this round.
ms_duckett

Con

ms_duckett forfeited this round.
Posted by wiggityp 3 years ago
wiggityp
Con wrote:

"But, should you be penalized for not contributing to society, and then expecting society to contribute to you? Absolutely."

I think this would effectively "penalize" 99% of the people I've ever come in to contact with, directly or indirectly, whether they consume marijuana or not. Being penalized for holding an expectation no matter how selfish or unrealistic is utter hogwash in my book.

But, I am gaining some modest enjoyment from the debate so please continue.