kumarsmokealot
SamPrice23

Should Marijuanna be legalized?

kumarsmokealot

Pro

Marijuana should be legalized for many reasons, I myself do smoke weed so maybe I am somewhat biased but the facts seem to make sense to me. Would anyone like to debate?
SamPrice23

Con

Thanks to pro for making this debate! Since he posted it, it's only fair for him to have the first argument. So, after you pro!
kumarsmokealot

Pro

Thank you, there are many points I would like to bring up so this may not follow the typical "debate" format as I am not familiar with it.

The enforcement of regulation of drug use and drug related crimes cost the United States more than $7.7 billion in 2006.
Enforcement and prison costs can also be factored into this. It costs us, the United States citizens at the minimum $50,000-65,000 a year to keep them in prison. If we were to legalize marijuana we should still regulate the use to an extent, like you can only carry this much or grow this many plants in one property. That would help reduce excessive produce of marijuana because if you are producing a field of marijuana it is obviously not for personal use but for sale, which should still be illegal from person to person. Taxing marijuana can introduce a considerable revenue along with subtracting the majority of the around $8 billion dollars cost of regulation. Also we would not be arresting as many people and forcing citizens to pay to keep inmates in jail every year. Alcohol and tobacco are clearly more harmful to the body physically and organs of the body than marijuana. Even sugar poses more of a threat to our nation's health than marijuana. We have more of a problem with overeating and eating the wrong foods than we do with causes of marijuana use. Although I do support the legalization of marijuana for recreational use, I do think there should be an age at where you can start using marijuana legally. It has less of a chance of damaging any part of you if you do not smoke when you are younger as you are still developing.
SamPrice23

Con

Well, I'll start out with this. Our country is over 16 trillion dollars in debt, and counting. I'm not saying legalizing marijuana wouldn't help cut some of this debt, but it wouldn't put that large of a dent in it. Lets say the government legalizes it, and taxes it. Our country is 16 trillion dollars in debt, so the argument that it will help with finances is a little weak. Now, I'm not sure if you are arguing that marijuana should be used for strictly medicinal purpose, because your debate title is a little vague. But I do know that 18 states, plus Washington D.C. has it legalized for medicinal purposes.

Believe it or not, less than one half of one percent of people in jail are there for marijuana charges. The rate of current, past 30-day use of marijuana by Americans aged 12 and older in 1979 was 13.2 percent. In 2008 that figure stood at 6.1 percent. So as you can see, illegal marijuana use is going down. Although I do agree with you that we are spending too much money on prisoners.

I don't like to complain about things if I can't give a solution to them, but this always bothers me. In America, if we catch someone with illegal drugs, they usually get arrested, fined some money, and get a misdemeanor. Well, this isn't a very big charge for doing something that is highly illegal (you can check your states penalties here: http://norml.org...). So it's like police men pulling people over and just giving them warnings. They never learn. If there are only minor consequences, and you can pull some major cash if you don't get caught, why not try it? I just don't think that the punishments are harsh enough. In other countries around the world, the punishment is so much more severe. And guess what! People don't push it. Because they have a family to support and they can't afford 50 years in prison for carrying an ounce of marijuana.

Now, this is my personal opinion, it has to do more with my morals. But to me, making money off of something that is highly illegal, will hurt the person you are selling it to, and you know that more than likely they'll get addicted to other drugs because of this, is just wrong. Sure, you can make some money fast, but come on. If our country has to legalize a drug that deteriorates your immune system, interferes with learning by impairing thinking, reading comprehension, and verbal and mathematical skills, makes people become physically dependent, and ruin people's lives, then our morals are officially gone. Our forefathers would have set up a budget, strict laws, and would have enforced them with no if ands or buts. They wouldn't of legalized a highly known gateway drug.

You had an idea that we should legalize it, but "still regulate the use to an extent, like you can only carry this much or grow this many plants in one property.". Now, the only problem I have with this is, if it's legal for adults to have it, how easy is it going to be to distribute to children? Do you know how many adults there are that are willing to give marijuana to a kid even when just them possessing it is illegal? And how can we really check to see how much marijuana people have on them at any given time? Police can't just pull you over. They have to have a legitimate reason. And what will the charges be if you're carrying an ounce or so too much. A slap on the wrist? Or are we going to send them to prison and pay to give them three meals a day with 8 hours in the sun? There are just too many speculations that won't line up. By making it legal you create so many different problems.

So, I don't really believe that legalizing it would do any good to this country. It would make our youth addicts, it would make our working class dependent and lazy, it would totally tear down this country's morals, and it would not help us out of debt. For every "good" reason to legalize it, there are so many negatives. I just can't see the good side of legalizing marijuana.

Sources: http://www.cnbc.com...
kumarsmokealot

Pro

kumarsmokealot forfeited this round.
SamPrice23

Con

Well, I've waited until the last minute to submit argument. I do not want to have an extra argument than pro, but I also do not want to forfeit this round. I tried to give pro a chance to respond in the comments, but he didn't reply. Hopefully, he'll respond and we can pick up next round and keep the debate going!
kumarsmokealot

Pro

kumarsmokealot forfeited this round.
SamPrice23

Con

SamPrice23 forfeited this round.
kumarsmokealot

Pro

kumarsmokealot forfeited this round.
SamPrice23

Con

Pro did not supply any facts about how the legalization of marijuana would be benificial for our society. I ask that you vote con. Thanks.
Posted by SamPrice23 3 years ago
SamPrice23
If you'd like pro, you can type your argument here in the comments.